We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 1798
  1. #1751
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Thank you

    Ok, I think this one may be a little tough but....

    The Bare-proboscis
    hmmm
    Is it smaug's weak spot in which Bard's arrow pierced thus killing him? I was thinking proboscis = worm (there are proboscis worms) and worm also can be a dragon, and which bare being the exposed weak spot.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Kinship Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.


    Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

  2. #1752
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    hmmm
    Is it smaug's weak spot in which Bard's arrow pierced thus killing him? I was thinking proboscis = worm (there are proboscis worms) and worm also can be a dragon, and which bare being the exposed weak spot.

    Good try, but my answer is a little more literal. Alternative meanings of the second and third words, when combined, give the answer.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

  3. #1753
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wash. St USA
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Good try, but my answer is a little more literal. Alternative meanings of the second and third words, when combined, give the answer.
    OK, I've got it for sure!

    The Naked-nose

    Absolutely no way that can be wrong....

    grin

    hmmm...maybe Bald-schnoz

    or, Nude-honker
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    ......................................................
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

  4. #1754
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wash. St USA
    Posts
    3,807
    Hmmm....
    Just had a thought.

    Mumakil
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    ......................................................
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

  5. #1755
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    OK, I've got it for sure!

    The Naked-nose

    Absolutely no way that can be wrong....

    grin

    hmmm...maybe Bald-schnoz

    or, Nude-honker


    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Hmmm....
    Just had a thought.

    Mumakil

    You were a lot closer with the first guess, at least in the method of solving it.

    Think of a location in Middle-earth.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

  6. #1756
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wash. St USA
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    You were a lot closer with the first guess, at least in the method of solving it.

    Think of a location in Middle-earth.
    Ah, must be old Mim's hangout.... The Bald Hill.

    Amon Rudh, "on its lower slopes were thickets of aeglos but only deep red seregon flowers grew on top, giving it the appearance of being covered with blood."

    From The Silmarillion, where Turin gets tangled up with a feisty old-school dwarf. (and stolen from Wikipedia)
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Feb 09 2019 at 04:39 AM. Reason: adding Amon Rudh stuff
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    ......................................................
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

  7. #1757
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Ah, must be old Mim's hangout.... The Bald Hill.

    Amon Rudh, "on its lower slopes were thickets of aeglos but only deep red seregon flowers grew on top, giving it the appearance of being covered with blood."

    From The Silmarillion, where Turin gets tangled up with a feisty old-school dwarf. (and stolen from Wikipedia)

    That's such a good answer I'm tempted to call it now. I think you'll agree though that the answer I am thinking of (when it's revealed) is even more literal to the clue.

    Anyway, time for another clue. The geological feature I'm thinking of is similar to your answer, and although it's likely to have been around for an extremely long time, my answer has to do with it's name during the Third Age.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

  8. #1758
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wash. St USA
    Posts
    3,807
    How about Amon Lanc, the hill that bears Dol Guldur?
    This translates from the Sindarin as "hill" (Amon) "naked" (Lanc).
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    ......................................................
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

  9. #1759
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    How about Amon Lanc, the hill that bears Dol Guldur?
    This translates from the Sindarin as "hill" (Amon) "naked" (Lanc).
    Another good answer. The correct answer though lies a long way South-west of there, in the land of Rohan. Also my clue is not a translation from one of Tolkien's languages, but a couple of simple synonyms in English.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

  10. #1760
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Another good answer. The correct answer though lies a long way South-west of there, in the land of Rohan. Also my clue is not a translation from one of Tolkien's languages, but a couple of simple synonyms in English.
    Hmm...Edoras sat upon a green hill.

    If by proboscis you mean beak: outcropping: hill.

  11. #1761
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by dsltn07 View Post
    Hmm...Edoras sat upon a green hill.

    If by proboscis you mean beak: outcropping: hill.

    Getting very warm now, it's actually visible from Edoras.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

  12. #1762
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wash. St USA
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Thank you

    Ok, I think this one may be a little tough but....

    The Bare-proboscis

    Your supplemental clues lead me to Starkhorn. The snow-topped peak in the White Mountains.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    ......................................................
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

  13. #1763
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Your supplemental clues lead me to Starkhorn. The snow-topped peak in the White Mountains.
    Correct...

    The Bare-proboscis

    The Starkhorn

    "Immediately before the travellers the widest of these glens opened like a long gulf among the hills. Far inward they glimpsed a tumbled mountain-mass with one tall peak..."
    The Two Towers III 6 The King of the Golden Hall


    All yours Boraxxe
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

  14. #1764
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wash. St USA
    Posts
    3,807
    OK, next one:

    A hirsute leviathan
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    ......................................................
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

  15. #1765
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    OK, next one:

    A hirsute leviathan
    Mumak, right?

    Maybe you are looking for oliphaunt, I don't know.

    I know they are the same thing though.

    I can't see what else it could be.

  16. #1766
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wash. St USA
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensibert View Post
    Mumak, right?

    Maybe you are looking for oliphaunt, I don't know.

    I know they are the same thing though.

    I can't see what else it could be.
    Welcome Henisbert.

    "leviathan" has several meanings.....
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    ......................................................
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

  17. #1767
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    OK, next one:

    A hirsute leviathan
    First thing that i thought of is, Huan, the Hound of Valinor.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Kinship Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.


    Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

  18. #1768
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wash. St USA
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    First thing that i thought of is, Huan, the Hound of Valinor.
    I'm starting to regret my riddle.
    It is a bit too generic to be able to disqualify many possible answers.
    I will give one last hint before I call it.

    A humanoid fills the bill.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    ......................................................
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

  19. #1769
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I'm starting to regret my riddle.
    It is a bit too generic to be able to disqualify many possible answers.
    I will give one last hint before I call it.

    A humanoid fills the bill.
    Beorn was pretty hairy, especially on his nights out

    He was also a fair sized lump of a lad.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

  20. #1770
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wash. St USA
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Beorn was pretty hairy, especially on his nights out

    He was also a fair sized lump of a lad.
    That's the one.
    Your go.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    ......................................................
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

  21. #1771
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    That's the one.
    Your go.
    Thanks mate.

    Ok, my last one was a little on the difficult side, this should be much easier.

    My Ancient Boss
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

  22. #1772
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Middle-earth
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Thanks mate.

    Ok, my last one was a little on the difficult side, this should be much easier.

    My Ancient Boss

    Melkor?

    He is the main antagonist in the first age, he was even above Sauron. Defeated at the end of the first age, and current time is 3rd/4th age, so one could call him ancient.
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik.
    English isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes.

  23. #1773
    The problem is, Wolfhelm said, my ancient boss, not the ancient boss. As he isn't Sauron, I am afraid, he is looking for someone else. I have no idea, though, if for a certain wolf, or a Rohirrim.


    Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 115 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 115 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

  24. #1774
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Estelrandir View Post
    Melkor?

    He is the main antagonist in the first age, he was even above Sauron. Defeated at the end of the first age, and current time is 3rd/4th age, so one could call him ancient.

    Not Melkor. Good first guess, but I was not aiming that high

    Polymachos' reasoning in the post below yours is pretty apt. Melkor would be the boss, not my boss.

    Small clue, this answer involves a little bit of word play.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

  25. #1775
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Maybury Hill
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Not Melkor. Good first guess, but I was not aiming that high

    Polymachos' reasoning in the post below yours is pretty apt. Melkor would be the boss, not my boss.

    Small clue, this answer involves a little bit of word play.
    Sauron himself was known as “Lord of Wolves” on occasion - he was the master of the first werewolf, Draugluin and Carcharoth, the greatest of wolves. So it could be Sauron, but I still have a feeling it isn’t...
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

 

 
Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload