We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    Im pretty sure her name is mentioned by Aragorn, but its not correct so it doesnt matter.
    Oh, sorry. I must have missed it. But no, it's not her. Maybe I should give another hint: Elvish is involved.
    lvl 105 Guardian | 102 Mini | 64 Hunter | 46 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV | Guardian Guide

:/ maybe this one was a little too hard...
    lvl 105 Guardian | 102 Mini | 64 Hunter | 46 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

I've tried to solve this riddle for a while yet so far without proper answer. I first tought the riddle points towards a warrior who isn't quite a warrior... I wondered if the answer is either Pippin or Merry but no, they aren't elvish. Then I thought of Maedhros but he isn't in LotR. If the answer is solved by using Sindarin or other elvish language, I am lost for I don't even know what warrior is in elvish languages.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

yeah, it does use Sindarin. But it's a name as well.... I suppose I should just say it?

Quote Originally Posted by Arathaert View Post
    yeah, it does use Sindarin. But it's a name as well.... I suppose I should just say it?
    If I were you, I'd wait for a day. Riddle topics have been quite silent the past three days as it seems to be so that almost everyone have had other matters to attend to. :/
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Well, I would have thought it was Menelvagor, the Swordsman of the Sky, but that's not really a person, so....
    Well, I suppose you could always say "flame resistant sunglasses" if you prefer that to "shoes"

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    If I were you, I'd wait for a day. Riddle topics have been quite silent the past three days as it seems to be so that almost everyone have had other matters to attend to. :/
    True. I, for one, am in my test week and it will be wednesday before I can set my mind on matters like these for longer amounts of time again...
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

Good point - I know the feeling! These have all been really good guesses though...

Could it be Aragorn? I do not really know sindarin but I have been led to believe that gorn can be translated as warrior thought technically his name translates as Lord of the Tree (or kingly valour or noble something or something else, depending on the source). And as Aragorn is most certainly a warrior this could lead to "almost warrior warrior" or then my sources are just wrong.

If I'm wrong some might benefit from the word maethor, which should be the "correct" word for warrior in sindarin.
    Last edited by Halla; Jan 24 2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Argh, I can't spell! -_-'
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000182efb/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[i]"For even the very wise cannot see all ends."[/i][/center]

You've totally got the right line of thinking! But unfortunately it's not Aragorn. I don't know about -gorn being warrior, but if it does mean that, then you've got "warrior warrior", basically. "Warrior" from who he is and "warrior" from his name.

There are actually three Sindarin words for "warrior": maethor, magor and ohtar.

Excellent guess... you're so close!

Quote Originally Posted by Arathaert View Post
    There are actually three Sindarin words for "warrior": maethor, magor and ohtar.
    Fellowship of the Ring p.320: "From the ruin of Gladden Fields, where Isildur perished, three men only came ever back over the mountains after long wandering. One of these was Ohtar, the esquire of Isildur, who bore the shards of the sword of Elendil".

I believeI have it now, but this was an evil one for sure!
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000182efb/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Halla View Post
    Fellowship of the Ring p.320: "From the ruin of Gladden Fields, where Isildur perished, three men only came ever back over the mountains after long wandering. One of these was Ohtar, the esquire of Isildur, who bore the shards of the sword of Elendil".

I believeI have it now, but this was an evil one for sure!

You are absolutely correct!!!

almost-warrior = esquire
    warrior = ohtar

You're up!

Yay! This is a 3-2-1 I believe:

Dowry to Northland

Quote Originally Posted by Halla View Post
    Yay! This is a 3-2-1 I believe:

Dowry to Northland
    Could it be Silmaril? The one Beren was meant to bring to Thingol the king of northern elf lands in order to marry Lúthien?

Could it be Silmaril? The one Beren was meant to bring to Thingol the king of northern elf lands in order to marry Lúthien?
    Well, now things got tricky... Your answer is right but your deduction wrong. This is a 3-2-1 so the Dowry to Northland in itself does not refer to the Silmarils. Let's see if someone can work out the mid step, but if not I'll expain it and yield you your turn.

I wasn't expecting my wild guess to be right, hahah! Truth to be told, this riddle is difficult. My thoughts were that the next step might be "northland price", and it'd either indicate to the price of Melkor's thievery, "price" of Lúthien, or maybe something more abstract (price of Noldor?). Either way, it'd be fair I think to give the riddle stick to whoever correctly solves this in a proper 321 way.

I wasn't expecting my wild guess to be right, hahah! Truth to be told, this riddle is difficult. My thoughts were that the next step might be "northland price", and it'd either indicate to the price of Melkor's thievery, "price" of Lúthien, or maybe something more abstract (price of Noldor?). Either way, it'd be fair I think to give the riddle stick to whoever correctly solves this in a proper 321 way.
    The second step is rather difficult, but I belive the Tolkien scholars here have indeed come across it before. (<-hint) I was thinkin choosing some other reference to the same source I'm using here but decided this because the connection between the silmarils and the dowry I'm looking for is so clear.

Dweorg, I believe it is your turn, since nobody want to figure Halla's midstep.

Very well. Yet I'd like to hear Halla's correct answer.

moai planter boss
    This is a 321.

I might have been going for too difficult reference here but I would have believed Tolkien loremasters would have been familiar with Kalevala. Northland here obviously refers to Pohjola and thus the second step would have been the Sampo. Scholars have noted that there are many similarities between the story of the Sampo and the Silmarils (which become even more obvious when you were able to guess the right answer without the mid step )

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)

moai planter boss
    This is a 321.
    I'm thinkin' Ghan-buri-Ghan. The pukel men are closest to moai and Ghan-buri-Ghan is the leader of the Woses, or Druedain whose ancestors (I believe) made the pukel men.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

I feel ashamed. I should have thought of that, at least as a Finn. Woe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    I'm thinkin' Ghan-buri-Ghan. The pukel men are closest to moai and Ghan-buri-Ghan is the leader of the Woses, or Druedain whose ancestors (I believe) made the pukel men.
    Aye! Ghan is correct!

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Screw Cloud buster
    3-2-1
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    Screw Cloud buster
    3-2-1
    Narsil/Anduril??? Or of course, it could also be Glamdring or Orcrist...
    But the most likely answer to me is: Sting!!! Kind of a sarcastic riddle if that is the answer
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast