We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    Nice retaliation on the whole "deduction"-thing... I was cautious, because I thought it could very well be wrong.

Well, now I can only think of Galadriel (wisdom, pity for almost everything and she "diminishes and goes to the west and remains Galadriel"). But my brain is still not awake, because it's 9:30 on a sunday morning -_-
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by DwarfFriend View Post
    Nice retaliation on the whole "deduction"-thing... I was cautious, because I thought it could very well be wrong.

Well, now I can only think of Galadriel (wisdom, pity for almost everything and she "diminishes and goes to the west and remains Galadriel"). But my brain is still not awake, because it's 9:30 on a sunday morning -_-
    And again, I can not fault your reasoning too much. Galadriel was considered one of the wise of Middle-earth, but if you've read what's written of her in The Silmarillion, she was not particularly noted for pity. In fact, I might refer to her as somewhat pitiless. Alas, any hint I can think of to give may well give the whole thing away, but will go a bit farther upon my former tack; It is not only no hobbit, but no elf either.

I wish I had Silmarillion here. Memory don't fail me now. My last try is Mandos, as a character not a place. He was amongst the wisest of the lords of the west, other wise one being Manwë. Mandos felt pity for Lúthien who wanted to be with Beren. (I seem to remember Manwë having pity on someone too, but I am unsure.)
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

I have been entertaining myself with the trivia threads for some time and thought I would join into the game even though my memories of the Silmarillion are terribly vague (have only read it once and in Finnish), but anyway. I would guess Faramir. It is said that by some chance the blood of Westernesse ran nearly true in him and that his heart was moved sooner to pity than to scorn. I'm also positvie I could find some quote about Faramir being wise (the only one I come across now was him learning from Gandalf's wisdom), but really, we all know that even without a quote...

Quote Originally Posted by Halla View Post
    I have been entertaining myself with the trivia threads for some time and thought I would join into the game even though my memories of the Silmarillion are terribly vague (have only read it once and in Finnish), but anyway. I would guess Faramir. It is said that by some chance the blood of Westernesse ran nearly true in him and that his heart was moved sooner to pity than to scorn. I'm also positvie I could find some quote about Faramir being wise (the only one I come across now was him learning from Gandalf's wisdom), but really, we all know that even without a quote...
    Halla, you just now touched nearer than all others so far. Dweorg, it is not Mandos (Namo: Mandos is the name of his halls, though he was known by that name too.)
    We've established that it is not elf or hobbit. Let me further state that it does not refer to any man, dwarf, ent, or Vala either. That narrows the list of potential candidates considerably and since I fail to see how it can remain unsolved I'll drop yet another hint; it does indeed refer to a person and west was meant as a point of origin, not eventual destination.

Btw; Halla, I think I might make so bold as to speak for everyone when I say, we're so glad you've decided to join in. Welcom
    Last edited by Duathrandir; Jan 13 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks for the welcome

I'm sorry if I'm not allowed to make second guess right away but... Gandalf then? Becuase he comes from the West, he was one of the Wise and then we have the "Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand [...] For even the very wise cannot see all ends." (And if I'm still wrong I'm afraid I need to re-read Sil...) But Faramir and Gandalf were the first ones I thought when I saw the words.

Thanks for the welcome

I'm sorry if I'm not allowed to make second guess right away but... Gandalf then? Becuase he comes from the West, he was one of the Wise and then we have the "Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand [...] For even the very wise cannot see all ends." (And if I'm still wrong I'm afraid I need to re-read Sil...) But Faramir and Gandalf were the first ones I thought when I saw the words.
    As far as I'm concerned you may make as many guesses as you want. I will accept Gandalf, though I was going for his original name; Olorin. "Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten." He was a Maia of Manwe (from whom he learned wisdom) and the pupil of Nienna (from whom he learned pity). He was reputed to be the wisest of all the maiar.
    And so, the turn is yours to pose a riddle.

Hello everyone, its good to be back to the thread I started!

Well, well... This might be quite difficult (or not), but here you go:

Dark, piercing tempest

I could make a hundred guesses and some more, and one of them would be correct, but it would take me too long. There are too many references to "piercing" and "tempest" in the works of Tolkien

The most logical to me: Morgoth's Dragons, the fell beasts or a Balrog... :S
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    Hello everyone, its good to be back to the thread I started!
    Hi Andunion. glad to have ya back.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfFriend View Post
    I could make a hundred guesses and some more, and one of them would be correct, but it would take me too long. There are too many references to "piercing" and "tempest" in the works of Tolkien

The most logical to me: Morgoth's Dragons, the fell beasts or a Balrog... :S
    Don't worry, the right one fits exactly to those words (or to their synonymes). And I'm looking for specific someone not a general group. That was two hints already :P

Well, well... This might be quite difficult (or not), but here you go:

Dark, piercing tempest
    First I thought of the presumedly vampiristic bats shown in the battle of Lonely mountain, in Hobbit. But as you said the answer fits accurately to the riddle (and as DwarfFriend brought up the subject of dragons), could the answer be Ancalogon the Black from Silmarillion. He was a dragon, slain by Eärendil. Also his name is translated to something like "storm of teeth" and I think teeth are rather piercing.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    First I thought of the presumedly vampiristic bats shown in the battle of Lonely mountain, in Hobbit. But as you said the answer fits accurately to the riddle (and as DwarfFriend brought up the subject of dragons), could the answer be Ancalogon the Black from Silmarillion. He was a dragon, slain by Eärendil. Also his name is translated to something like "storm of teeth" and I think teeth are rather piercing.
    Ancalagon the Black is correct! Maybe I shouldn't have given those hints But yes, the "piercing tempest" refers the translation of his name and "dark" refers to the Black as well as to him being Morgoth's creature. Your turn.

Well, well... Let's see. This is a 3-2-1.

Coruscate subterranean shelter.
    Last edited by Dweorg; Jan 15 2013 at 09:40 AM.

Ooo! This is finally one I can pretend to take a stab at.... coruscate subterranean shelter -> glittering caves -> the Caverns of Helm's Deep?
    lvl 105 Guardian | 92 Mini | 63 Hunter | 35 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV

Quote Originally Posted by Arathaert View Post
    Ooo! This is finally one I can pretend to take a stab at.... coruscate subterranean shelter -> glittering caves -> the Caverns of Helm's Deep?
    Arathaert, remember that in a 3-2-1 riddle the final answer will be one word. I believe you are on the right track and if so then I know the one word but want to give you time to come up w/ it. Excuse me Dweorg if I've spoken out of turn as regards your puzzle.

Oh, right. In that case it'd be Aglarond. (Or maybe Hornburg - same difference)

Thanks Duath - I appreciate it!
    lvl 105 Guardian | 92 Mini | 63 Hunter | 35 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Oh, right. In that case it'd be Aglarond. (Or maybe Hornburg - same difference)

Thanks Duath - I appreciate it!
    Correct, aye. It's your turn! And np Duath! New-comers must be helped!

Sweet!

Ok, been wanting to throw this one out there for a long time:

Almost-Warrior Warrior.

(not a 3-2-1)

Hmmm... Eowyn? Although I think I am thinking in too general a way here...
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

Yes, you are - I'll give a couple hints and say that it is a person and that that person's name does appear in the Lord of the Rings.

Is this reffering to Morwen, mother of Turin?

No - remember, the name is in the Lord of the Rings.

No - remember, the name is in the Lord of the Rings.
    Im pretty sure her name is mentioned by Aragorn, but its not correct so it doesnt matter.

Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast