We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Hmmm...

The party of Thorin obtained "rich gifts and ample help" from Beorn and then from the folks of Laketown as they were preparing for their final approach to Erebor, The Lonely Mountain.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Wait, wait, wait! Outside of box? Bears' guest, Goldilocks, someone with golden hair, Glorfindel. He obtained... emmm, resurrection? If I'm not lost again, wiser one could use this as a help.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    Wait, wait, wait! Outside of box? Bears' guest, Goldilocks, someone with golden hair, Glorfindel. He obtained... emmm, resurrection? If I'm not lost again, wiser one could use this as a help.
    You were quite warm for a second there Dweorg.
    Boraxxe, outside the "box"
    Even if I chose to refer to Beorn as a bear, though he was a man who could assume the form of a bear, I doubt I would refer to him in the plural (in which case it would have been bear's guest instead of bears' guest).

Let me know if I need to give more of a hint.

BTW Dweorg, your tag line was better w/o the clarifying parentheticals, imo. I aint sayin' nothin', I'm just sayin'.
    Last edited by Duathrandir; Dec 21 2012 at 09:02 PM.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

I'll try again.

Bears' Guest, I believe it's still meaning Goldilocks as I can't think of anyone else, someone with golden hair (in Tolkien's works there are many, especially elves), Hador - also known as Lórindol ("golden-haired/goldenhead"). He obtained "Dragon-helm", which was later given to Turin. So Dragon-helm is my answer now.

EDIT: thanks for the notification, Duathrandir.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

I'll try again. Bears' Guest, I believe it's still meaning Goldilocks as I can't think of anyone else, someone with golden hair (in Tolkien's works there are many, especially elves), Hador - also known as Lórindol ("golden-haired/goldenhead"). He obtained "Dragon-helm", which was later given to Turin. So Dragon-helm is my answer now.
    You've gotten part but then go too far. as to the other part; "I saw it lying there. I liked it, so I obtained it, just reached out my hand and obtained it."
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

"bears' guest" ~ Goldilocks, as stated earlier.
    "obtained" ~ "took"

Hence, "bears' guest obtained" ~ "Goldilocks Took", the daughter of Sam Gamgee, but who married Faramir son of Pippin and thus obtained (pun intended) the surname of Took.

Quote Originally Posted by Canus View Post
    "obtained" ~ "took"

Hence, "bears' guest obtained" ~ "Goldilocks Took", the daughter of Sam Gamgee, but who married Faramir son of Pippin and thus obtained (pun intended) the surname of Took.

Marvelous logic. That must be it.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

"obtained" ~ "took"

The Valar be praised! You got it Canus. You're up.

Sorry for the delay; I've been away. Happy New Year, everybody.

This is not a 3-2-1, either:

pale winter flower

Sorry for the delay; I've been away. Happy New Year, everybody.

This is not a 3-2-1, either:

pale winter flower
    Happy new year to you too.

As for the riddle...

I've recently read Silmarillion, so this was first in my mind: Niphredil. I think it was described as something akin to snow, and certainly it is flower (bloomed at the time of Luthien's birth) yet I don't know if it fits for "pale".

Correct! I actually got it from Haldir's description of Lothlorien in FotR. Thought it would be harder...

The white rod of the Steward of Riddles passes to you.

Hmm. This is 321 I think. "Known to Aves"?

Hmm. This is 321 I think. "Known to Aves"?
    My first thought was Gandalf due to his friendship with the Great Eagles, but I'm thinking Radagast would be a better guess since he was more involved with the caretaking of birds and animals and plants. I reckon I worked two guesses in there sorta. Is that allowed?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Actually, I think bambu^3 got it with Radagast, as his name in Quenya was "Aiwendil", "bird-friend".

Radagast is indeed the answer! bambubambubambu's turn it is, then!

Hey I may have pulled a Gollum, but I still got it right! Woot!

Next puzzle coming soon!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

How about...

averted hammer squish

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    How about...

averted hammer squish
    What immediately comes to my mind (though probably wrong) is Eru stopping Aule from smiting the fathers of the dwarves whom he had just finished crafting and had given to Eru but decided maybe it would be better to just destroy the fruits of his impatience and pride. Hence averted hammer squish, as he was going to squish then w/ his hammer but Eru's compassion averted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    What immediately comes to my mind (though probably wrong) is Eru stopping Aule from smiting the fathers of the dwarves whom he had just finished crafting and had given to Eru but decided maybe it would be better to just destroy the fruits of his impatience and pride. Hence averted hammer squish, as he was going to squish then w/ his hammer but Eru's compassion averted it.
    Why probably wrong?
    Sounds exactly right to me.

Wow that was quicker than I thought! Dead on Duath! Yer up!

Okay, every time I think I've set a particularly tough poser y'all solve it easily and when I think it is too easy it turns out to be quite challenging, so I will not even attempt to guess how difficult this one is.
    Not a 3-2-1.

Wisdom, Pity, West

Okay, every time I think I've set a particularly tough poser y'all solve it easily and when I think it is too easy it turns out to be quite challenging, so I will not even attempt to guess how difficult this one is.
    Not a 3-2-1.

Wisdom, Pity, West
    Those words may fit the lords of the west also, but a different answer appeared in my mind. Pity made me think Bilbo and Frodo, both pitied Gollum i.e. Also both sailed to Valinor, west. So it might be wisdom which makes the difference. Frodo has always seemed wiser in my mind. And I found interesting detail about Frodo's name - in old German (I guess) frod means something like "wise"... Coincidence?

Those words may fit the lords of the west also, but a different answer appeared in my mind. Pity made me think Bilbo and Frodo, both pitied Gollum i.e. Also both sailed to Valinor, west. So it might be wisdom which makes the difference. Frodo has always seemed wiser in my mind. And I found interesting detail about Frodo's name - in old German (I guess) frod means something like "wise"... Coincidence?
    I can find no fault w/ your reasoning powers, only your conclusion. Sorry, that is not correct (I assume your guess was Frodo).

I can find no fault w/ your reasoning powers, only your conclusion. Sorry, that is not correct (I assume your guess was Frodo).
    From this last line I can deduce that the answer might be... Bilbo? I'm going with Bilbo, for wisdom has been attributed to him more than once during his days, he indeed felt a great deal of pity for the wretched Gollum and therefore decided to spare him, and of course he was one of the few lucky adventurers that got to take a boat to the immortal lands in the west.
    So Bilbo is the answer, I think.
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfFriend View Post
    From this last line I can deduce that the answer might be... Bilbo? I'm going with Bilbo, for wisdom has been attributed to him more than once during his days, he indeed felt a great deal of pity for the wretched Gollum and therefore decided to spare him, and of course he was one of the few lucky adventurers that got to take a boat to the immortal lands in the west.
    So Bilbo is the answer, I think.
    Perhaps I do not have much of a handle on the whole deductive reasoning process, but as I seem to understand it you really cannot be said to have deduced that something might be something. That makes for a pretty weak conclusion. The answer is not Bilbo. I must think on giving a hint that will not just give the whole thing away. How about we start w/ this; It is not a hobbit.

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast