We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast
    The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    You do robbie!
    Well in that case...

Old Widow's Spoons.
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Bilbo's silver spoons that Lobelia Sackville-Baggins "accidentally" dropped into her umbrella. Or was it her handbag? I don't recall exactly.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    Bilbo's silver spoons that Lobelia Sackville-Baggins "accidentally" dropped into her umbrella. Or was it her handbag? I don't recall exactly.
    I'll go ahead and give the riddle stick to you, as the answer was Lobelia Sackville-Baggins

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Next one:

Absurdly unlikely cargo
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Pipeweed in Isengard
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Hmm. That is a tough one. Not really "cargo" to my mind at that point in the story. Nor does the nature of its presence there quite reach the height of "absurd" unlikelihood to me. A very close call, but I am going to say no, leaning more heavily on the first point to distinguish it since that is less subjective.

Next one:

Absurdly unlikely cargo
    Maybe the dwarves of Thorin's Company escaping from the wood-elves in barrels?

Not what I had in mind, but I can't think of a basis on which to disqualify it. The dwarves were cargo being transported. In terms of absurdity level, I think given that they were locked in the dungeons and needed a hobbit with an invisibility ring to get them out and into the barrels, that's pretty darn unlikely.

I will save my intended answer for another time. You have the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Urias View Post
    Not what I had in mind, but I can't think of a basis on which to disqualify it. The dwarves were cargo being transported. In terms of absurdity level, I think given that they were locked in the dungeons and needed a hobbit with an invisibility ring to get them out and into the barrels, that's pretty darn unlikely.

I will save my intended answer for another time. You have the stick.
    OK. Was debating saying you carry on because I'd like to know what the 'real' answer was you had in mind. PM me? and I'll promise to forget it if you use it again

Anyway, next one: mutually assured destruction

How about we carry that question forward as a side riddle with no prize? Try again with inanimate cargo.

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    OK. Was debating saying you carry on because I'd like to know what the 'real' answer was you had in mind. PM me? and I'll promise to forget it if you use it again

Anyway, next one: mutually assured destruction
    Hmm, no good guesses for Vilnas' riddle, so I will attempt this one instead: Finrod's agreement to help Beren in the Quest for the Silmaril. Finrod knew it meant his own death, and likely Beren's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JRRT in The Silmarillion, Of Beren and Luthien
    But Felagund heard his tale in wonder and disquiet; and he knew that the oath he had sworn was come upon him for his death, as long before he had foretold to Galadriel. He spoke then to Beren in heaviness of heart. 'It is plain that Thingol desires your death...
    Thus by agreeing to help Beren, Finrod assured both of their deaths.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Hmm, no good guesses for Vilnas' riddle, so I will attempt this one instead: Finrod's agreement to help Beren in the Quest for the Silmaril. Finrod knew it meant his own death, and likely Beren's as well.
    Thus by agreeing to help Beren, Finrod assured both of their deaths.
    Again not what I had in mind, but can't fault that logic and you have a excellent quote - the stick is yours

Don't want to complicate the thread with another 'parallel' riddle so I'll let you know my answer for mutually assured destruction was the two groups of orcs at Cirith Ungol essentially wiping each out over Frodo's mithril coat.
    Last edited by StrideColossus; Aug 13 2014 at 12:27 PM.

I haven't seen a 3-2-1 style riddle, so let's try another. Instructions below.
    Inferno Blood Ignition

3-2-1 Instructions
    3: A three word riddle, which leads to 2: an intermediate step. Could be any number of words (in this case, 3) and could be in-Tolkien-verse or (more likely) out. Which leads to 1: the final answer (1 word in this case).
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Inferno Blood Ignition

3-2-1 Instructions
    3: A three word riddle, which leads to 2: an intermediate step. Could be any number of words (in this case, 3) and could be in-Tolkien-verse or (more likely) out. Which leads to 1: the final answer (1 word in this case).
    I think we're all stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    Kinda reminds me of Feanor...
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    Kinda reminds me of Feanor...
    Nope, unless you can give me some good reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    I don't think this one is too hard. Mostly synonyms to get to the intermediate clue.

Nope, unless you can give me some good reasoning.
    well when Feanor died didn't he, like explode in a fiery inferno, because his life force was so strong?

I believe the problem with Feanor as an answer is that it goes against the express instructions for the riddle. Wilros told us that the initial clue points to a second, intermediate clue, which then directs us to the final answer:

Inferno Blood Ignition

3-2-1 Instructions

I believe the problem with Feanor as an answer is that it goes against the express instructions for the riddle. Wilros told us that the initial clue points to a second, intermediate clue, which then directs us to the final answer:
    Exactly.

I don't think this one is too hard, but looking at it again, maybe I didn't make it in the classic 3-2-1 style, since in this case, each of the 3 words should be looked at in isolation to arrive at the intermediate step (ie. I'm not looking for an 'Inferno Blood' or a 'Blood Ignition' but rather, 'Inferno' + 'Blood' + 'Ignition' = 3 word intermediate step).

Hope that makes sense.

Next one:

Absurdly unlikely cargo
    Coming back to this, my intended answer was the Stone of Erech. The text tells us that it was brought by Isildur out of Numenor at the time of the cataclysm. Think about that for a moment, and the context in which that must have occurred. At Erech, the Stone was half-buried in the ground and the part above the earth was the height of a man. Thus the Stone was a sphere about 12 feet in diameter. The Faithful escaped the Downfall in three ships, which had to carry all of the people and their provisions in a lengthy journey over the open seas to shores of Middle-earth. Isildur somehow decided that the 12' sphere of rock was sufficiently precious that it needed to be saved and was worth taking up vital cargo space. I have no idea how the concentrated weight of the Stone might have affected the structural integrity of the ship, its seaworthiness, etc. Furthermore, if we take it as given that the Stone was so important that it made sense to save it, how the heck did Isildur manage to successfully load it on the ship? In the days leading up to the cataclysm, Isildur and the rest of the Faithful were under heavy suspicion by the Sauron, Ar-Pharazôn and the King's Men. Surely they would have noticed the Stone being transferred and intervened? Okay, so the Faithful manage to escape the drowning of their homeland, the destruction of nearly all of their kindred, and the massive tidal wave that swept them back to Middle-earth. Where does Isildur set up the Stone? In a prominent place on the coast commemorating the spot where the Faithful made their safe landing? No! Of course not! He has it hauled 100 miles inland to the vital location of .... Erech?
    Last edited by Vilnas; Aug 21 2014 at 03:21 PM.

Coming back to this, my intended answer was the Stone of Erech. The text tells us that it was brought by Isildur out of Numenor at the time of the cataclysm. Think about that for a moment, and the context in which that must have occurred. At Erech, the Stone was half-buried in the ground and the part above the earth was the height of a man. Thus the Stone was a sphere about 12 feet in diameter. The Faithful escaped the Downfall in three ships, which had to carry all of the people and their provisions in a lengthy journey over the open seas to shores of Middle-earth. Isildur somehow decided that the 12' sphere of rock was sufficiently precious that it needed to be saved and was worth taking up vital cargo space. I have no idea how the concentrated weight of the Stone might have affected the structural integrity of the ship, its seaworthiness, etc. Furthermore, if we take it as given that the Stone was so important that it made sense to save it, how the heck did Isildur manage to successfully load it on the ship? In the days leading up to the cataclysm, Isildur and the rest of the Faithful were under heavy suspicion by the Sauron, Ar-Pharazôn and the King's Men. Surely they would have noticed the Stone being transferred and become intervened? Okay, so the Faithful manage to escape the drowning of their homeland, the destruction of nearly all of their kindred, and the massive tidal wave that swept them back to Middle-earth. Where does Isildur set up the Stone? In a prominent place on the coast commemorating the spot where the Faithful made their safe landing? No! Of course not! He has it hauled 100 miles inland to the vital location of .... Erech?
    Ha, excellent observation. I had a similar thought, but didn't flesh it out as much as you have to realize the full absurdity of it. Thanks for sharing!

Assuming that some clarification is in order here.

Trivia Clue: Inferno Blood Ignition
    Format: 3-2-1 where the 3-word clue above leads to an intermediate step which leads to a final answer.
    Hints:
    - Synonyms are required to get to the intermediate step
    - In getting to the intermediate step, look at each word individually (not collectively)
    - Intermediate step has 3 words
    - Final answer has 1 word

No one has really even tried to get to the intermediate step yet, so not sure what else I can do other than spelling it out? I will wait a few more days and then can try to give some more direction, but it shouldn't be difficult once you get to the intermediate clues.

Wondering if I haven given a really dull riddle or something, no guesses in over 2 weeks... I will give a clue away:

Trivia Clue: Inferno Blood Ignition
    Format: 3-2-1 where the 3-word clue above leads to an intermediate step which leads to a final answer.
    Hints:
    - Synonyms are required to get to the intermediate step
    - In getting to the intermediate step, look at each word individually (not collectively)
    - Intermediate step has 3 words: Inferno -> Word1, Blood -> Word2, and Ignition -> Kindle
    - Final answer has 1 word

I just peruse this forum occaisionally, but for me at least, I have no idea how this 3-2-1 style riddle works. Can you point towards some examples?

Quote Originally Posted by StanzLaw View Post
    I just peruse this forum occaisionally, but for me at least, I have no idea how this 3-2-1 style riddle works. Can you point towards some examples?
    I believe the original multi-step riddle went something like this:

Dumas

(i.e., Alexandre Dumas, famous 19th century French author)

The Man in the Iron Mask

(i.e., famous character in Dumas' 2nd sequel to Three Musketeers and the titular subject of a 1998 American film starring Leonardo Di Caprio)

Azaghal

(i.e., the dwarf lord of Belegost that was slain by Glaurung during the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, and for purposes of this riddle, the most famous example of the custom of those dwarves to wear iron masks in battle.)

Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast