We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    I believe your last clue has finally shed some light on this puzzle. Assuming that (S) would be for Sindarin [and thus (Q) could be for Quenya and (K) for Khuzdul]:

Muddled Noggin -> Cloudy Head -> Fanuidhol (Sindarin)

The Khuzdul answer would likely have been Bundushathûr (same mountain).

I’m not enough of a linguist to know what the answer could be in Quenya.
    Great work there. It looks to me like the correct answer. I hope Vilnas hasn't left on vacation yet.

About Quenya; a bit of searching resulted in this: Fanuikarr. I just stuck cloudy (fanui) and head (karr) together. But I am not a Quenya scholar, just a searcher...grin.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Looks like Vilnas might have left, but I reckon Wilros got it. I vote the turn is his!
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Looks like Vilnas might have left, but I reckon Wilros got it. I vote the turn is his!
    I second that motion.
    Interesting thing Vilnas did there; found a way to turn a two-word clue into a three-word clue.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

I believe your last clue has finally shed some light on this puzzle. Assuming that (S) would be for Sindarin [and thus (Q) could be for Quenya and (K) for Khuzdul]:

Muddled Noggin -> Cloudy Head -> Fanuidhol (Sindarin)

The Khuzdul answer would likely have been Bundushathûr (same mountain).

I’m not enough of a linguist to know what the answer could be in Quenya.
    Excellent work. You have the riddle stick.

Grr. Was logged in as Urias again - my old account name from way back in Beta. The forums default to that as my display name and I sometimes forget to change it before posting.

Anyhoo, Wilros does indeed have the riddle stick.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Apologies for the tardy reply, away on a long weekend and all. Now to appease the riddle-thirsty masses:
    Bore Seafaring Adventurers
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Apologies for the tardy reply, away on a long weekend and all. Now to appease the riddle-thirsty masses:
    Heard aboard a ship sailing to The West....
    'Two hobbits walk into a bar.
    A third hobbit comments; "Ouch!, That must've hurt."'

Could the answer be as simple as the name of a ship? Eärendil's ship Vingilot would be my first guess.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Could the answer be as simple as the name of a ship? Eärendil's ship Vingilot would be my first guess.
    On the right track bambu3, but I will hold out for what I believe is a superior answer.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Could it be ship that caried Frodo to the undieing lands?
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Or possibly the black ship(s) that Aragaorn, Gimli, Legolas and the rangers sailed into the Battle of Pelennor Fields?

No, and no (unless you can convince me otherwise). The answer I have in mind is quite closely linked to the last of the 3 words, and it will become quite apparent that this answer is well suited.
    Last edited by Wilros; Apr 24 2014 at 08:59 AM.

What pops to my mind is the Guild of Venturers under Tar-Aldarion and the ship that was their base of operations. Being as this is in the Unfinished Tales, I'm not sure it is an "in bounds" answer, and I don't know what to make of the Bore, but there it is. STRIKE ME DOWN

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    What pops to my mind is the Guild of Venturers under Tar-Aldarion and the ship that was their base of operations. Being as this is in the Unfinished Tales, I'm not sure it is an "in bounds" answer, and I don't know what to make of the Bore, but there it is. STRIKE ME DOWN
    Hmm, it appears that I am the one who requires to be struck, not yourself Mulkfather. I was indeed looking for Eämbar - the headquarters of the Guild of Venturers. I had thought I remembered reading about it in the Sil, but after your comment double-checked and I was not able to find any mention of it there. So I borrowed from some "out of bounds" text to come up with this one then.

A thousand apologies!! The riddle stick may pass to you Mulkfather. Here, take it quickly before I am struck down!

I honestly don't recall if that is inbounds lore or not. So I won't be dispensing lightning.

Shard of Doom

Hmm, it appears that I am the one who requires to be struck, not yourself Mulkfather. I was indeed looking for Eämbar - the headquarters of the Guild of Venturers. I had thought I remembered reading about it in the Sil, but after your comment double-checked and I was not able to find any mention of it there. So I borrowed from some "out of bounds" text to come up with this one then.

A thousand apologies!! The riddle stick may pass to you Mulkfather. Here, take it quickly before I am struck down!
    On the first post of the thread the rules were set to the same bounds as the other '- word' threads meaning these:

The Silmarillion
    The Children Of Hurin
    The Hobbit
    The Lord Of The Rings
    The Adventures Of Tom Bombadil

were the 'in bounds' texts.

Seeing as how no one questioned this, I think we can call this one a Gollum and I ain't got no problem with Mulk taking the turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    I honestly don't recall if that is inbounds lore or not. So I won't be dispensing lightning.

Shard of Doom
    The splinter from the Morgul blade stuck in Frodo's wound? Probably too easy...

tis not. There is one answer I will hold out for, and it will probably be obvious why when the right answer is guessed.

How about the shards of Narsil? or the knife Angrist, or Gurthang?
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    Just a point of order here:

Try to remember to only submit one answer at a time.
    Yeah, I know, we all pull a "gollum" occasionally (String or nothing!).
    Just try to remember each post should only include one riddle answer attempt.

And hey c_, I'm not pickin' on you. I just try to insert a bit of "riddle etiquette" now and then and it happened to be on your turn.

Have fun!

Right on the first try. The Shard of Narsil was what cut the ring from Sauron's hand on the slope of Mount Doom, which sealed Sauron's doom temporarily anyway. Your turn!

The new Riddle is Red Jeweled friend

The new Riddle is Red Jeweled friend
    Carnimírië

Translates from the Elvish as red-jewelled, the name of the rowan tree that was the friend of Bregalad the Ent.

I am beating myself for making such an easy riddle. Ur up

I am beating myself for making such an easy riddle. Ur up
    He he, sometimes worth trying an easy-ish one just to see people going for the more complicated answers

Anyway, here goes, this is a bit of an attempt at a 3-2-1 question:

nurses dwarven rings

Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast