We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    OK, maybe not that small a leap. But you nailed the silver part.
    OK how about Silverlode then?

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    OK how about Silverlode then?
    Nope. But you are right to depart from mithril references. The answer lies in a different area.

Celeborn can be translated as 'silver tree'. Not sure if the answer would be the elf or the tree from Tol Eressea.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Celeborn can be translated as 'silver tree'. Not sure if the answer would be the elf or the tree from Tol Eressea.
    No, the relationship between "Celeborn" and "tree" is a misconception. The name actually means literally "tall silver" in both Sindrin and Telerin forms.
    So not him, but you are getting closer.

Not sure why someone smarter than me hasn't come along and solved this already, so I'll take another swing:
    Assuming I am on the right track with Celeb then, how about Idril Celebrindal, meaning Silver-Foot?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Not sure why someone smarter than me hasn't come along and solved this already, so I'll take another swing:
    Assuming I am on the right track with Celeb then, how about Idril Celebrindal, meaning Silver-Foot?
    Had been percolatin' on this latest riddle a bit myself along these lines. Reckon Wil has hit closer than any other so far, if he ain't hit it on the nose.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Of course, Idril it is in a perfectly literal sense. Took longer than I expected but we got here.
    Cheers!
    Go for it.

I'm in an alliterative type of mood lately:
    Sweet Sprinkling Serenade

I'm in an alliterative type of mood lately:
    Sweet Sprinkling Serenade
    I want to try Nimrodel cause the description seems so apt.

Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    I want to try Nimrodel cause the description seems so apt.
    A good guess, but not what I'm looking for. Another day or 2 before I give any hints...

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Perhaps a bit of derailment, but here goes...

There are those that are sure that the song "Stairway To Heaven" (Led Zepplin) is Tolkien related.
    Specifically about Galadriel, Aragorn, Ents, etc.... http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=126556

There is a line in the lyric that is often misinterpreted as "It's just a sprinkling for the May queen".
    The actual lyric is "It's just a spring clean for the May queen".

So, to end this rambling mess....

Going backwards:

A serenade is a song. Stairway to Heaven is a song.
    Sprinkling, spring clean....explained above.
    Sweet, well this fits with the alliteration.

Ok, now you can all go about your business...derailment ended.

The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.

Haha, I love the straight dope column, but had not heard of the Stairway to Heaven = LOTR connection before. So a wonderful derailment here. And part of your answer is on the right track, but I’m looking for something contained inside Tolkien’s creation, not something from outside.
    Last edited by Wilros; Dec 12 2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: typo

OK, a hint: if you combine the essence of Egrovlad's and Boraxxe's answers, you could come up with the answer I'm looking for.

Maybe a bit vague, but it's still early and I don't think this riddle will prove too difficult.

OK, a hint: if you combine the essence of Egrovlad's and Boraxxe's answers, you could come up with the answer I'm looking for.

Maybe a bit vague, but it's still early and I don't think this riddle will prove too difficult.
    Are you looking for The Song Of Nimrodel as sung by legolas?

This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Are you looking for The Song Of Nimrodel as sung by legolas?
    Haha, you are getting warmer, but Egor's guess wasn't quite that close.

Haha, you are getting warmer, but Egor's guess wasn't quite that close.
    Sweet sprinkling serenade:

Goldberry singing a rain song outside the house of Tom Bombadil.

Sweet sprinkling serenade:

Goldberry singing a rain song outside the house of Tom Bombadil.
    Exactly. I thought that even you could get this one Boraxxe!

The hobbits could hear “…the clear voice of Goldberry singing up above them. They could hear few words, but it seemed plain to them that the song was a rain-song, as sweet as showers on dry hills” (The Fellowship of the Ring, In the House of Tom Bombadil).

You're up!

Sorry for the delay.
    Here's the next one.

This is a two-step; it leads out of and back into Tolkien.

nemesis of pigs

nemesis of pigs
    Frankly, considering the number of boars I slaughtered in Lotro, the answer should be "me"...

Sorry for the delay.
    Here's the next one.

This is a two-step; it leads out of and back into Tolkien.

nemesis of pigs
    A fryin pan! Hmmm...still workin on the other part...

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Thinkin it just hit me...

nemesis of pigs->the wolf in the story of the Three Little Pigs->Wulf the invader of Rohan?

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post

nemesis of pigs->the wolf in the story of the Three Little Pigs->Wulf the invader of Rohan?
    A good guess bambu!

My mind was stuck on Lord of the Flies for some reason, where stranded adolescent boys kill and roast wild pig on a tropical island. That wasn't leading me back to Tolkien with anything though, just taking me back to the days of high school English classes...

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post

You've made the first step.
    Missed on the second.

A good guess bambu!

My mind was stuck on Lord of the Flies for some reason, where stranded adolescent boys kill and roast wild pig on a tropical island. That wasn't leading me back to Tolkien with anything though, just taking me back to the days of high school English classes...
    That book really freaked me out when we read it in school. It was...disturbing to say the least. *shiver*

You've made the first step.
    Missed on the second.
    But something to do with a Big Bad Wolf then? I'm stuck still, but maybe one of y'all can puzzle this out

Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast