We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast
    well, the sun and moon in Tolkien land are the flowering fruits of the Two Trees, and they are above all so...sun and moon?

Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    Then next one is: blooms above all
    Mulkfather has a very good guess, but in case it isn't right, I will make a guess of the White Tree of Gondor after Sauron is defeated.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    well, the sun and moon in Tolkien land are the flowering fruits of the Two Trees, and they are above all so...sun and moon?
    Quite right, although in this case only Telperion gave the actual blooming flower, so the Moon.
    You're up, Mulkfather.

Quite right, although in this case only Telperion gave the actual blooming flower, so the Moon.
    You're up, Mulkfather.
    sweet! I was thinking along the lines of Wilros and then the story of the sun and moon occurred to me...

This will either be dreadfully easy or a dreadful poser I'm thinking.

friendly speech

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    sweet! I was thinking along the lines of Wilros and then the story of the sun and moon occurred to me...

This will either be dreadfully easy or a dreadful poser I'm thinking.

friendly speech
    Oops. Mulkfather... this is three-word Tolkien Trivia, not two-word.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

gah, sorry, forgot which thread I was in. too much work...

friendly open speech

gah, sorry, forgot which thread I was in. too much work...

friendly open speech
    Gandalf, at the prodding of Merry, speaking 'Mellon' to open the Doors of Durin?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Gandalf, at the prodding of Merry, speaking 'Mellon' to open the Doors of Durin?
    indeed. I thought adding a third word made it obvious, but I was too tired to come up with something better and such is life. You're up!

indeed. I thought adding a third word made it obvious, but I was too tired to come up with something better and such is life. You're up!
    Excellent! And BTW, I would have done the same thing as you Mulkfather in just adding a word instead of revising your riddle.

OK, next one, we haven’t had a 3-2-1 in a while, so a refresher on the rules, or at least the rules that I am using:
    - The clue will consist of three words that may or may not be Tolkien related.
    - This clue will lead to something (typically any number of words, but in this case 2) that is not Tolkien related.
    - That intermediate step will lead back to a Tolkien related answer (in this case, the final answer is again 2 words).

Reservoir Vampire Forks

Excellent! And BTW, I would have done the same thing as you Mulkfather in just adding a word instead of revising your riddle.

OK, next one, we haven’t had a 3-2-1 in a while, so a refresher on the rules, or at least the rules that I am using:
    - The clue will consist of three words that may or may not be Tolkien related.
    - This clue will lead to something (typically any number of words, but in this case 2) that is not Tolkien related.
    - That intermediate step will lead back to a Tolkien related answer (in this case, the final answer is again 2 words).

Reservoir Vampire Forks
    Let's throw this one out from the top of my head.

Vampire forks - teeth, reservoir - mouth (connected) or lake (unconnected). First thing that came to mind was Bilbo's riddle about teeth. So riddle game.

Let's throw this one out from the top of my head.

Vampire forks - teeth, reservoir - mouth (connected) or lake (unconnected). First thing that came to mind was Bilbo's riddle about teeth. So riddle game.
    A valiant attempt, but sadly not correct. For now I will say that vampire & forks do go together, but yield a different answer to yours.

Seems quiet. Further hint required? Let’s see…

3-2-1 Riddle: Reservoir Vampire Forks
    1st Hint: Consider Vampire & Forks together
    2nd Hint: Vampire & Forks refer to a non-Tolkien related book

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    ...never mind....
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Nov 19 2013 at 05:30 PM.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Count Dracula or Dracula's coffin
    Nope, Dracula is not the literature being referred to.

Vampire & Forks refer to a non-Tolkien related book
    This is what scares me. I did have a version (or rather a perversion) for these 2 words together from the beginning, but I seriously hoped you couldn't have meant the "book" I'm thinking about... =)
    Last edited by Egorvlad; Nov 19 2013 at 06:22 PM.

OK, OK, I'll tell my guess, but don't make me explain it out loud, I hate that book.

Nenuial

OK, OK, I'll tell my guess, but don't make me explain it out loud, I hate that book.

Nenuial
    Hehe, you have got it!
    Resevoir -> Lake
    Vampires + Forks, WA -> The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
    Hence, Lake Twilight = Lake Evendim, or Nenuial
    You’re up Ergo!

(BTW, I haven’t read a page of those books, just thought it was an interesting clue for ‘Twilight’ haha. Honestly! No, really - I'm being honest! Why are all of you looking at me suspiciously??).

Yes, yes, we believe you've never seen those books. *nudge nudge wink wink*

Let's have another 3-2-1 then:

Telperion dew roots

Hmm, no takers yet. Never thought this would be difficult.
    Let's try first clue..

Remember it's a 3-2-1
    3 leads to 2 in this fashion: "Telperion dew" and "roots" unconnected to each other

Hmm, no takers yet. Never thought this would be difficult.
    Let's try first clue..

Remember it's a 3-2-1
    3 leads to 2 in this fashion: "Telperion dew" and "roots" unconnected to each other
    Ah, then how about the Eldar, the People of the Stars?

Telperion dew = used by Varda to create the stars, roots = ancestery or heritage, i.e. a people.

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    Ah, then how about the Eldar, the People of the Stars?

Telperion dew = used by Varda to create the stars, roots = ancestery or heritage, i.e. a people.
    Excellent reasoning, but not what I meant here unfortunately.
    Think property, not use.
    Though it's such a good guess that we might just go with it if no one picks up the intended idea.
    Last edited by Egorvlad; Nov 26 2013 at 03:45 PM.

I’ll take a crack at it.

Telperion’s dew was silver in apperance, and an analogous word for roots could be veins, so veins of silver would lead to guesses such as mithril deposits in Moria or I believe the Glittering Caves were also described as having rich and brilliant veins of various materials.

I’ll take a crack at it.

Telperion’s dew was silver in apperance, and an analogous word for roots could be veins, so veins of silver would lead to guesses such as mithril deposits in Moria or I believe the Glittering Caves were also described as having rich and brilliant veins of various materials.
    You got the first half right. Now another small leap to my idea. The answer is really 1 word in this 3-2-1

Hmm, perhaps Silvertine then?

Hmm, perhaps Silvertine then?
    OK, maybe not that small a leap. But you nailed the silver part.

Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast