We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast
    can I steal it then since I was so close?

dark friendly fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    can I steal it then since I was so close?

dark friendly fire
    Dark fire would make me think of the 'blasting fire' used by the Uruk-hai in the battle of the Hornburg, but that obviously doesn't fit the 'friendly' part of your riddle... I'm stuck!
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

it is not. I'll hold off any any hints just yet, though.

How about the balrog of Moria? IIRC the flames leaped up seemingly to greet the balrog as it leapt across the fiery fissure in the second hall.
    So balrog = dark, friendly fire = the flames 'greeting' it when it leaps?

that's an interesting take. While friendly fire should be considered together, it does not refer to what I'm thinking of.

that's an interesting take. While friendly fire should be considered together, it does not refer to what I'm thinking of.
    OK, my balrog guess was a bit left-field but I was sneakily hoping you give us a clue

So, "friendly fire" probably refers to someone accidentally killing their own forces - how about the Lord of the Nazgul at the Battle of Pelennor Fields? Haven't got the text to hand but if I remember he was described as trampling even his own orcs? And he's certainly dark.

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    OK, my balrog guess was a bit left-field but I was sneakily hoping you give us a clue

So, "friendly fire" probably refers to someone accidentally killing their own forces - how about the Lord of the Nazgul at the Battle of Pelennor Fields? Haven't got the text to hand but if I remember he was described as trampling even his own orcs? And he's certainly dark.
    well, I was going to start dropping hints anyway! SO THERE!

Not it. Too recent in terms of Arda history.

event in question occurs back in the First Age. I've been on a Silmarillion kick lately...

Dark friendly fire.

First thing that comes to mind...Charcaroth destroying both his foes and orcs and that as he rampages from the North
    Second thing is Glaurang denying the orcs the treasures of Nargothrond, and expelling them out with fire.

Eodread, Earendel, Lindrial, Isilmacil - Horizon
    Thattickles

Quote Originally Posted by Isilmacil View Post
    Dark friendly fire.

First thing that comes to mind...Charcaroth destroying both his foes and orcs and that as he rampages from the North
    Second thing is Glaurang denying the orcs the treasures of Nargothrond, and expelling them out with fire.
    Good guesses, no to both. You're thinking the wrong side of the war.

Good guesses, no to both. You're thinking the wrong side of the war.
    Must be one of the kinslayings then? Perhaps the 2nd kinslaying when Caranthir the Dark was killed?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

If not one of the Kinslayings, it'd be in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, when Ulfang the Black's Easterlings turned on the Noldor.

Thattickles

The event in question is not part of a great battle.

Hmmm, then there are several cases where Turin seems to fit the bill.

Accidentally killing Beleg when being freed from the orcs.
    Turin killing the Lord of Brethil.

Thattickles

Turin is correct. He killed his friend Beleg using the black sword thinking Beleg was one of his captors. You're up, Isilmacil.

Here's a nice easy one as I couldn't think of something more challenging: Lost my clasps

Thattickles

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Bilbo lost his buttons when escaping from the Misty Mountain orc tunnels.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

Correct. Told ya it was easy :P Next one I get correct I'll try to think of something more challenging.

You're up

Thattickles

Ok next one.

Never an uncle
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, Count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Ok next one.

Never an uncle
    Bilbo? He used the term quite loosely for his younger friends even if they weren't directly related.

Bilbo? He used the term quite loosely for his younger friends even if they weren't directly related.
    True. That is what I was looking for.
    Frodo and Bilbo were actually cousins. Bilbo was not his (or anyone else's) uncle.

Yer up Stride!

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    True. That is what I was looking for.
    Frodo and Bilbo were actually cousins. Bilbo was not his (or anyone else's) uncle.

Yer up Stride!
    Next one: ascending radiant girdle

Next one: ascending radiant girdle
    Obvious guess would be Menelvagor

Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    Obvious guess would be Menelvagor
    Correct, I thought that might be a little too easy You're up Egorvlad.

Correct, I thought that might be a little too easy You're up Egorvlad.
    Then next one is: blooms above all

Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast