We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast
    Her cats were creepy as hell though. Wonder why the Men of Gondor didn't just shoot them and say they found them dead.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Here is the next one:

Misnamed dwarvish lord
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Okay, Treebeard would chastise me for being hasty, but the first and only name that comes to mind is "Durin the Deathless"?

Perhaps it would be "Durin the Deathless" since he did end up dying.

EDIT: For the love of the almighty, don't tell me I missed it again. I was eating and typing at the same time, then pondering other possibilities. And whoosh. There it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Canus View Post
    Okay, Treebeard would chastise me for being hasty, but the first and only name that comes to mind is "Durin the Deathless"?
    Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    Perhaps it would be "Durin the Deathless" since he did end up dying.

EDIT: For the love of the almighty, don't tell me I missed it again. I was eating and typing at the same time, then pondering other possibilities. And whoosh. There it goes.
    You both have the lord correct, but not the misnamed part. Durin was called "The Deathless" because dwarves believe in reincarnation, so he was "deathless" in a metaphorical sense. The king of the dwarvish Longbeards was repeatedly named Durin.

The misnaming I am looking for was not something that any dwarf did.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Ah, must have been misnaming by Aulë then. Wonder what it was?

And he was also called the 'Deathless' because the dwarves believed that the spirits of their first fathers would come and live again in his heirs. Those were the ones named Dúrin

Ah, must have been misnaming by Aulë then. Wonder what it was?

And he was also called the 'Deathless' because the dwarves believed that the spirits of their first fathers would come and live again in his heirs. Those were the ones named Dúrin
    Not by Aulë.

What I am looking for specifically is the misnomer. If you can also name the misnamer it will be interesting. I think that recognition belongs to two.

His title was either King or Father of the Dwarves, which was incorrect as he was only the father or king of the Longbeards. I cannot recall who gave him that title... is this it though?

EDIT: I mean to say that I am not certain whether it was Father of the Dwarves or King of the Dwarves, but it was one of them (may have been both?), and I cannot recall who gave him that/those titles

His title was either King or Father of the Dwarves, which was incorrect as he was only the father or king of the Longbeards. I cannot recall who gave him that title... is this it though?

EDIT: I mean to say that I am not certain whether it was Father of the Dwarves or King of the Dwarves, but it was one of them (may have been both?), and I cannot recall who gave him that/those titles
    Nope.
    The first seven male dwarves were titled the Seven Fathers of the Dwarves, and all of the remaining dwarves are related to 6 of them (Durin actually had no descendents).

And that is not the misnomer I am looking for, though it is one I hadn't thought of. But as I stated, the misnomer I am looking for was not coined by any dwarf and I think the title Fathers of the Dwarves was coined by descendant dwarves.

I know they were called "seven fathers of the dwarves", but Durin cannot have been the "Father of the Dwarves" since there were six others for the other tribes (the Broadbeams, Blacklocks, Stonefoots, Stiffbeards, Firebeards and Ironfists).

I know they were called "seven fathers of the dwarves", but Durin cannot have been the "Father of the Dwarves" since there were six others for the other tribes (the Broadbeams, Blacklocks, Stonefoots, Stiffbeards, Firebeards and Ironfists).
    I could be wrong, but I don't think that Durin was ever specifically titled "Father of the Dwarves". He was included in the group as one of the seven and as I stated, that was a bit of a misnomer as it is believed that he never actually "fathered" any children. But again, above, I noted that the misnomer I am looking for was not one coined by any dwarf.

So we are looking for a title given to Durin by one of an outside race, i.e. Orcs, Elves, or Men? Don't recall any Ainur ever saying anything about him.

So we are looking for a title given to Durin by one of an outside race, i.e. Orcs, Elves, or Men? Don't recall any Ainur ever saying anything about him.
    In a word, yes.

Someone else better crack at this, I can't think of anything right now. Must go through an extensive search of my crammed young mind.

Well, if it's a misnomer that was given by someone who wasn't a dwarf, then perhaps "Durin Aran Moria .... Celebrimbor o Eregion theithant i thiw hin"?

But Durin was actually king of Khazad-dûm. There was always, as far as we can tell, a Longbeard king there- in fact, that was where Durin I went after his awakening in Gundabad.

Quote Originally Posted by Itharas View Post
    Well, if it's a misnomer that was given by someone who wasn't a dwarf, then perhaps "Durin Aran Moria .... Celebrimbor o Eregion theithant i thiw hin"?
    Yes Itharas, you have it exactly.

An interesting thread all about this subject: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?473805-A-bothering-detail-Tolkien-and-Moria

The point is; How can Durin be labeled "Lord or King of Moria" in the second age when that term (Moria) wasn't in use until after Durin's Bane (the balrog) turned the place into a "Dark Pit" in the third age?

So it was either Celebrimbor (who made the moon-letters on the door) or Tolkien himself that coined the misnomer.

Ok, you are up!

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Yes Itharas, you have it exactly.

An interesting thread all about this subject: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?473805-A-bothering-detail-Tolkien-and-Moria

The point is; How can Durin be labeled "Lord or King of Moria" in the second age when that term (Moria) wasn't in use until after Durin's Bane (the balrog) turned the place into a "Dark Pit" in the third age?

So it was either Celebrimbor (who made the moon-letters on the door) or Tolkien himself that coined the misnomer.

Ok, you are up!
    It's been more than a fortnight since Boraxxe proclaimed a winner. I move that Boraxxe post a new riddle soon if Itharas does not post one quite soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    It's been more than a fortnight since Boraxxe proclaimed a winner. I move that Boraxxe post a new riddle soon if Itharas does not post one quite soon.
    .... you said "fortnight." I am now happy. That is all.
    lvl 100 r7 Guardian | 78 Mini | 61 Hunter | Lukiluk - r9 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Arathaert View Post
    .... you said "fortnight." I am now happy.
    I have fulfilled my mission.

As no one else is stepping up, I will.

Clue: Three hues count

Seems way too easy to me,but...

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    As no one else is stepping up, I will.

Clue: Three hues count

Seems way too easy to me,but...
    I'll give this a try. Gotta start somewhere....

If "three hues", count, then other hues must not mean much.
    The wizards (or Maiar) that were sent from Aman to assist the free peoples of middle-earth were designated by colors or hues.
    There was Gandalf the GREY; Saruman the WHITE; Radagast the BROWN; and 2 other wizards, Alatar and Pallando, the BLUE wizards.
    The BLUE wizards never enter into the narrative that we have, so as far as we know, they had no influence in the War of the Rings.
    So, they don't "count".
    The three hues that count are therefore, Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast. Or, GREY, WHITE and BROWN.

Ok, kinda convoluted, but it was fun.

Thumbs up

I'll give this a try. Gotta start somewhere....

If "three hues", count, then other hues must not mean much.
    The wizards (or Maiar) that were sent from Aman to assist the free peoples of middle-earth were designated by colors or hues.
    There was Gandalf the GREY; Saruman the WHITE; Radagast the BROWN; and 2 other wizards, Alatar and Pallando, the BLUE wizards.
    The BLUE wizards never enter into the narrative that we have, so as far as we know, they had no influence in the War of the Rings.
    So, they don't "count".
    The three hues that count are therefore, Gandalf, Saruman and Radagast. Or, GREY, WHITE and BROWN.

Ok, kinda convoluted, but it was fun.
    He's ba-ack. Outstanding reasoning powers, Boraxxe. You are up.

That was a fun one.
    next up:

has four halves

has four halves
    First thing that comes to mind is the Fellowship with 4 halflings in it.

Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast