We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    You'd shoot at a cat?

At a cat. At a cat. Just to scare them off. They torment my dogs to no end.

Pining could also mean to grieve or fail in health so my next guess is Bill the Pony.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    At a cat. At a cat. Just to scare them off. They torment my dogs to no end.
    You know what cats that roam around outdoors are called here in New Mexico? Coyote snacks.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)

Pining could also mean to grieve or fail in health so my next guess is Bill the Pony.
    Thats the ticket!

From TFOTR:

"The stay in Rivendell had worked a great wonder of change on him: he was glossy and seemed to have the vigour of youth. It was Sam who had insisted on choosing him, declaring that Bill (as he called him) would pine, if he did not come."

In the next paragraph Bill is referred to as "the beast of burden".

You're up bambu!
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    You know what cats that roam around outdoors are called here in New Mexico? Coyote snacks.
    That's too funny! It's hard to actually shoot a cat anyways...they're so dang quick!

Oooh I got it right? I'll have a new one soon!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

This one probably won't take long ...

liberating Lord lost

Perhaps a clue? I can think of Earnur as a possible candidate, but...
    Reallyfat Trollion, Antiuca Torkoyondo. Level 84 Guard.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    Perhaps a clue? I can think of Earnur as a possible candidate, but...
    Too early for a clue my friend - it's only been posted a few hours! And your guess of Earnur seems like a good one to me. Just in case that's not correct, I'll throw Theoden out there as my guess.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Figures the riddles I think are going to be easy ain't...

Both good guesses, but both are not the one I'm lookin for. Agree with Wilros that it's a little early yet for a hint. Maybe after a few more guesses.

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    This one probably won't take long ...

liberating Lord lost
    Puts me in mind of the restoration of Theoden King, the LORD of Rohan Who's LOST in a prison of the mind (spirit) of Saruman's design through hi agent Grima and LIBERATED by Gandalf Stormcrow.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Isildur who lost the Ring & his life.

Isildur was amongst the Last Alliance that liberated the people of ME from Sauron, for some time at least. Also liberating may mean stealing, and Isildur liberated the One Ring from Sauron.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Eärnur is an obvious candidate because he literally liberated Arnor from the clutches of Angmar, and then he was "Lost" later *cough* Mordirith. Another one, I guess, would be Boromir: He fought countless battles in Gondor and 'liberated' Osgiliath, but he too was lost. The problem is that there are hundreds of characters like this: I could go so far back as to mention Denethor, son of Lenwë, who was killed in his attempt to aid Thingol. Back in the first battle of Beleriand.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

Okay time for a clue: the Lord in question did liberate a place, but it was only for a short time. And it was more recent than Eärnur or Isildur, and not Boromir.

Aragorn himself, maybe. He liberated Umbar from the hands of the Haradrim (for a while as you say) under the guise of Thorongil... and he went away afterwards and wasn't seen again in Gondor for a while. Does that count as lost?

If 'lost' refers to dead, then I guess any number of Lords who died at the Pelennor could count. Grimbold springs to mind - He and Elfhelm liberated the Fords of Isen for a while (until the second battle). Might it be him?
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

How about Thorin briefly becoming King under the Mountain again?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    How about Thorin briefly becoming King under the Mountain again?
    Oh you are very close to the mark on this one...

And lost does mean dead.

*slump* Well then. We shall see. How is he 'close' though? Close with Thorin, or close with becoming king?
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyFat View Post
    *slump* Well then. We shall see. How is he 'close' though? Close with Thorin, or close with becoming king?
    Close with this example especially with Thorin. One of the Company in fact...

Close with this example especially with Thorin. One of the Company in fact...
    Hmmm in that case it has to be Balin.

I was so gonna say that
    I cry foul! Foul I say!
    /sob
    This is so me.
    Last edited by ReallyFat; Aug 29 2013 at 06:19 AM.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    Hmmm in that case it has to be Balin.
    And there it is! I pass the riddle baton to Stride!

Sorry ReallyFat. Hey you only missed it by about an hour looks like...

Unlucky ReallyFat, have a go with this next one (following the alliteration theme we've had going): marvellous menial menagerie

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    Unlucky ReallyFat, have a go with this next one (following the alliteration theme we've had going): marvellous menial menagerie
    Must be Beorn's animal servants.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Oh snap missed it again XD but yeah, definitely Beorn's animals.
    Anglorion, Hunter.
    Freowen, Captain.

On the off chance that Boraxxe didn't get it correct, I will offer the alternative guess: the cats of Queen Berúthiel.

Yep it's beorns animals, thought that was a bit too easy but once I'd thought of it I couldn't get it out of my head! You're up Boraxxe.

@Wilros - I guess it could have been the cats, they were definitely a marvellous menagerie, but it was the menial bit that clinches it for Beorn's food-serving animals.
    Last edited by StrideColossus; Aug 30 2013 at 08:00 AM.

Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast