We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast
    The impeccable riddling was yours, my friend. I just happened to be thinking about the key phrase because I had been discussing pre-Civil-War economics with a colleague. Otherwise I too would probably never have guessed it.

This is a 3-2-1: terminal keratin growth

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Gotta start somewhere...how about Longbeards?
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Gotta start somewhere...how about Longbeards?
    Wrong sort of keratin growth.

Caradhras the Redhorn?
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Terminal keratin growth:

Folca, a former King of the Rohirrim, killed the great boar of Everholt, but later died of the many tusk wounds it had given him.

So the answer may be boar tusks.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Dweorg and Boraxxe are on the right track with the right sort of "keratin growth", but so far, neither is correct.

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Canus View Post
    Dweorg and Boraxxe are on the right track with the right sort of "keratin growth", but so far, neither is correct.
    Could it be the Horn of Gondor which Boromir carried as the eldest son of the ruling steward, and was made of the horn of the kine of Araw? Its condition when Faramir found it and its separation from Boromir pretty much confirming the termination of Boromir's life, though his remains were not recovered?
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Sorry for the delay. Work picked up a bit. It seems that everyone is on the right track with "horn", but I'm afraid you're getting colder, Duathrandir. Dweorg was in the right state of mind.

I may as well try again. If I was on the right track, I'll continue on it. "-ras" means "horn" and if the answer isn't Caradhras, it could be Methedras. Methedras translated into English could be "Last Horn" - or terminal keratin growth.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

...and Dweorg gets it! Good work.

Alright, this next riddle might be too high-flown but let's give it a try:

Desires Prometheus' loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    Alright, this next riddle might be too high-flown but let's give it a try:

Desires Prometheus' loot.
    I believe Prometheus is known for having stolen fire to bring to humanity, so if fire is his loot, one who desires it could be Melkor, who in the beginning sought the ‘Secret Fire’ held by Eru Illuvatar alone.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

It just occurred to me that Tolkien is spelled wrong in the title of this thread...
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    It just occurred to me that Tolkien is spelled wrong in the title of this thread...
    Yeah, someone else noticed that a while back.
    I requested a fix, but none came.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    I believe Prometheus is known for having stolen fire to bring to humanity, so if fire is his loot, one who desires it could be Melkor, who in the beginning sought the ‘Secret Fire’ held by Eru Illuvatar alone.
    Yes, sir. Melkor's the answer. Your turn!

This one should be fairly simple, and hey, we haven't had an alliteration for a while:
    Black Byte Being
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

This one should be fairly simple, and hey, we haven't had an alliteration for a while:
    Black Byte Being
    Could be Ungoliant since a byte is 8 bits and a spider has 8 legs.
    She drank the sap of the Two Trees and darkened the world by extinguishing their light.

Could be Ungoliant since a byte is 8 bits and a spider has 8 legs.
    She drank the sap of the Two Trees and darkened the world by extinguishing their light.
    You are correct sir, though our reasoning on black was slightly different. I was going for Ungoliant meaning 'Black Spider', though the explanation of darkening the world works too.

Your turn to befuddle us.

Here ya go:

The pining beast

I am surprised that no one has guessed on this yet. Well, I’ll put one out there with Carcharoth, the werewolf who was driven mad after having eaten a Silmaril.

I am surprised that no one has guessed on this yet. Well, I’ll put one out there with Carcharoth, the werewolf who was driven mad after having eaten a Silmaril.
    Nope, not Carcharoth.

I'll throw one out there...

the wailing cat in The Man in the Moon song Frodo sang at the Prancing Pony?

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

I'll throw one out there...

the wailing cat in The Man in the Moon song Frodo sang at the Prancing Pony?
    Nope, that's not it.

Nope, that's not it.
    Worth a shot eh? At the riddle, not the cat. Or maybe the cat too...

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Worth a shot eh? At the riddle, not the cat. Or maybe the cat too...
    You'd shoot at a cat?
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast