We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
    Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arathaert View Post
    OOO!! I think I have it!! I was reading through a book for a dissertation I'm writing and found a quote from RotK:

Faithful servant yet master's bane,
    Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane.

My guess is Snowmane or Lightfoot! I don't get which one it is lol. But somehow I feel like it fits. :P
    It is not Shadowfax, Lightfoot, Snowmane, Hasufel, Arod, Firefoot, Felarof, Nahar, Rochallor, Roheryn, or any other horse mentioned in the late great Professor T's writings. It does not in fact refer to any horse at all. Hoof is to a horse as ____ is to a man (Stan; "or woman". Francis; "Thank you brother." Stan; "or sister").
    Think first age.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Could the answer be this simple? Idril Silverfoot, the mother of Eärendil?
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    Could the answer be this simple? Idril Silverfoot, the mother of Eärendil?
    I told y'all when I posted it that it was easy. Argent Shank Base = Silver Foot = Idril. You are the riddle master of the moment, Dweorg.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Could be 3-2-1, but can be thought as a normal three-word riddle too, I think:

Nightly songbird's skald
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Could be 3-2-1, but can be thought as a normal three-word riddle too, I think:

Nightly songbird's skald
    Well, A nightly songbird could easily be a nightingale, or Tinuviel. Her Skald would be, I would think, Daeron, the lore master of Thingol and the minstrel who played to accompany Luthien's singing and dancing. So w/o even trying to work it out as a 3-2-1 my guess is Daeron.

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    Well, A nightly songbird could easily be a nightingale, or Tinuviel. Her Skald would be, I would think, Daeron, the lore master of Thingol and the minstrel who played to accompany Luthien's singing and dancing. So w/o even trying to work it out as a 3-2-1 my guess is Daeron.
    I should've thought the riddle a bit longer, I fear. That was so quick! Nonetheless, Daeron was the right answer! Your turn.

Cool

I should've thought the riddle a bit longer, I fear. That was so quick! Nonetheless, Daeron was the right answer! Your turn.
    It was rather an easy one.
    Terminal Appendage Snapper
    not 321

not 321
    Perhaps Otho Sackville-Baggins? Stretching my memory here but didn't he say "Fiddlesticks!" and snap his fingers in Bilbo's face when he discovered Frodo's inheritance of Bag End was valid?

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    Perhaps Otho Sackville-Baggins? Stretching my memory here but didn't he say "Fiddlesticks!" and snap his fingers in Bilbo's face when he discovered Frodo's inheritance of Bag End was valid?
    That may have happened. I'll defer to your memory as mine is rather less stellar than I would like, but no, that is not what I was looking for. think outside the "box."

not 321
    Gollum biting off Frodo's finger to get the Ring?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Gollum biting off Frodo's finger to get the Ring?
    A finger would be a digital appendage, not a terminal one. Hint; Terminal is pertaining to the end. What part of the body is referred to most often as the end?

Caudimorax ("Tail-biter"), the magic sword from Farmer Giles of Ham.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Aestivan View Post
    Caudimorax ("Tail-biter"), the magic sword from Farmer Giles of Ham.
    Ding ding ding ding! Correctimundo! You hold the riddle stick. Hit us.

Well done sirs! Both on the riddle and the answer - wouldn't have thought of looking at the lesser works!

*goes to bookshelf and begins preparing for future riddles...*
    lvl 105 Guardian | 93 Mini | 63 Hunter | 46 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV

Friend-zoned minstrel

Question

Friend-zoned minstrel
    The only friend zoned minstrel I can think of would be Daeron who was dear to Tinuvial for his playing to accompany her song and dance, but she did not return his romantic love for her, but surely that cannot be the answer since it was a very recent answer. Please give us a hint.

Ah, I hadn't realized it had been a recent answer. But you are correct.

Cool

Ah, I hadn't realized it had been a recent answer. But you are correct.
    Okay, to me this seems easy, but who knows.
    Pinkish Southern King (not a 3-2-1).
    P.S. Aestivan, if you wanted another try I would have no objections and folks could ignore my riddle.

No guesses and I can see from activity on other threads that riddle-meisters have been on the forum, so (knowing well the pitfalls inherent in assumption) I'll assume a hint is needed. I am afraid a hint will give too much away but the only one I can think of is this; Southern and King go together and think U.S. history.

Southern King and your reference to US history makes me think of Castamir the Usurper (base of power was in Umbar and Southern Gondor) and the Gondor Civil War or Kin Strife (can draw a few loose parallels to the US Civil War). But I have no idea how 'Pinkish' fits in?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Southern King and your reference to US history makes me think of Castamir the Usurper (base of power was in Umbar and Southern Gondor) and the Gondor Civil War or Kin Strife (can draw a few loose parallels to the US Civil War). But I have no idea how 'Pinkish' fits in?
    I did not refer to an episode from Gondor's history that holds similarities to U.S. history. Think U.S. History, and by way of further clue there was never a person who was king in the southern United States. As for how "pinkish" fits, well I won't just give you everything, you'll have to earn that for yourselves.

I barely know anything about U.S. history but I have an idea... Southern king could refer to Martin Luther King Jr. and continuing on political themes, I had to use google for this, pinkish might mean a person of left wing. But I don't know how to continue so I must be wrong.

I barely know anything about U.S. history but I have an idea... Southern king could refer to Martin Luther King Jr. and continuing on political themes, I had to use google for this, pinkish might mean a person of left wing. But I don't know how to continue so I must be wrong.
    Martin Luther King Jr was my other thought with the hint to US history, but like you, I am stumped as to where one would go from there.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Rose (or "Rosie") Cotton

"Rosie" ~ "rosy" is the pinkish bit; a saying in the pre-Civil-War South was that "Cotton is King".

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Canus View Post
    Rose (or "Rosie") Cotton

"Rosie" ~ "rosy" is the pinkish bit; a saying in the pre-Civil-War South was that "Cotton is King".
    Outstanding! Canus is absolutely correct. Impeccable riddling sir. Hit us with your riddle stick.

Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast