We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
    Death or mortality was originally called the Gift of Man. Later on Men began to refer to death as the Doom of Man.

Probably ain't gonna be that easy eh?
    Last edited by bambubambubambu; Jun 16 2013 at 03:28 PM.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

How about Denethor declaring the Doom of Gondor before lighting his own funeral pyre and burning alive?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Wilros and bambubambubambu - afraid not to both. Both good guesses. Had not considered the Eru one. I'll offer a hint if we don't get something in another day or so.

ok, hint time.

Nargothrond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post
    ok, hint time.

Nargothrond.
    So Boraxxe wasn't too far off the mark then eh?

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Well then... here's another try:

The dragon spoke Turin's doom just before turin left Nargothrond:

But as he went Glaurung spoke behind him, saying in a fell voice: 'Haste thee now, son of Húrin, to Dor-lómin! Or perhaps the Orcs shall come before thee, once again. And if thou tarry for Finduilas, then never shalt thou see Morwen again, and never at all shalt thou see Nienor thy sister; and they will curse thee.'
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

right guy. wrong part of the story.

death declared doom:

Then Turambar seized the hilts and set his foot upon the belly, and cried in mockery of the dragon and his words at Nargothrond: 'Hail, Worm of Morgoth! Well met again! Die now and the darkness have thee! Thus is Túrin son of Húrin avenged.'
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Perhaps you mean the curse Morgoth laid upon Turin and the rest of Hurin's family as well?

also no.

there is a specific interaction/event that occurred in Turin's life that I am looking for. Given the previous hint I gave, it does center around Nargothrond.

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulkfather View Post

there is a specific interaction/event that occurred in Turin's life that I am looking for. Given the previous hint I gave, it does center around Nargothrond.
    How about Gwindor's pronouncement to Turin that if he failed Finduilas his doom would surely not fail to find him, or something similar?
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Ding ding!

Finduilas' death meant that Turin could not avoid his doom. Your thread, Duathrandir.

This should be quite easy for this crowd of riddle-masters, but when I try to think of something more challenging my brain hurts. To add to the challenge let's make it a 3-2-1.

Argent Shank Base
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    This should be quite easy for this crowd of riddle-masters, but when I try to think of something more challenging my brain hurts. To add to the challenge let's make it a 3-2-1.

Argent Shank Base
    Just to be clear: by 3-2-1 you mean 3 words that lead to a non-Tolkien concept that leads back into Tolkien with one word?

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Just to be clear: by 3-2-1 you mean 3 words that lead to a non-Tolkien concept that leads back into Tolkien with one word?
    That is indeed what I mean.

Argent shank base

hilt-shard

This was the lower half of Narsil, the sword of Elendil that broke beneath him when he fell in battle with Sauron.
    This was the portion of the sword that Isildur used to cut the one ring from Sauron's hand.

Edit: I'm sure this is wrong since it doesn't fit the 3-2-1 format, but it's a place to start anyway.
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Jun 28 2013 at 02:15 PM.

Hmmm... my guess is Shadowfax, actually. If argent=silvery/white and shank=leg and base=hoof, it could be

Argent Shank Base -> Silver-footed -> Shadowfax
    lvl 105 Guardian | 93 Mini | 63 Hunter | 46 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV

Quote Originally Posted by Arathaert View Post
    Hmmm... my guess is Shadowfax, actually. If argent=silvery/white and shank=leg and base=hoof, it could be

Argent Shank Base -> Silver-footed -> Shadowfax
    Boraxxe, I've always admired the way your mind works, but nope. Very unique conclusion though.

Arathaert, so close and yet so far.

I thought this would be solved by now. Arathaert, again you were close. A clue, I suppose, is called for, more obvious than my last response. Notice I did not write (argent shank based) but rather "Argent Shank Base" perhaps I should have made it Argent_Shank base.

I'm going to make the guess that the first part of the riddle is Peter Stuyvesant, who was known as "Old Silver Leg."

Still can't really get part two, though. It could be Whitehall, the mansion that Stuyvesant built, but I'm not really sure, and I can't really think of anything beyond that...

Well, if "Argent Shank" is Shadowfax, it could be said that his "Base" was the fields of Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by CarsontheSage View Post
    I'm going to make the guess that the first part of the riddle is Peter Stuyvesant, who was known as "Old Silver Leg."

Still can't really get part two, though. It could be Whitehall, the mansion that Stuyvesant built, but I'm not really sure, and I can't really think of anything beyond that...
    Way I figure it, Carson is following the intended path of the 3-2-1. First clue leads to a non Tolkien reference. No clue who Peter Stuyvesant is, but sounds like a good guess to me!

Ugh. These 3-2-1 things make my brain hurt.

I'm fairly sure my guess isn't correct but I just want it out of my head. So, argent shank could be a fine, posh candlestick. A base of a candlestick or candlesticks might be Dead Marshes where Frodo saw corpse-candles... I don't know.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

CarsontheSage, I think I've heard the name Stuyvesant before, but no. that has nothing to do w/ this riddle.
    Boraxxe, I never said argent shank was Shadowfax. That was the part, in fact, that I referred to when saying, "...and yet so far". I further clarified by writing, "Notice I did not write (argent shank based) but rather "Argent Shank Base". Hence, it was the guess "Silver-footed" that was close.
    Dweorg. creative reasoning but not even close.
    Finally I fear I missed my mark w/ the underscore. It was an attempt to separate argent from shank, not to join them. How about Argent Shank base?

OOO!! I think I have it!! I was reading through a book for a dissertation I'm writing and found a quote from RotK:

Faithful servant yet master's bane,
    Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane.

My guess is Snowmane or Lightfoot! I don't get which one it is lol. But somehow I feel like it fits. :P
    lvl 105 Guardian | 93 Mini | 63 Hunter | 46 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV

Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast