We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    Thinking in 3-2-1 format, I’ll go with broken buckler -> Thorin Oakenshield & bore -> carried.
    So: carried + Thorin -> the Eagles!
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Thinking in 3-2-1 format, I’ll go with broken buckler -> Thorin Oakenshield & bore -> carried.
    So: carried + Thorin -> the Eagles!
    Close, close! I am thinking of another Thorin-carrier. Think of the word "broken" as physical state. The answer isn't obvious, but I hope this clue will help.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    Close, close! I am thinking of another Thorin-carrier. Think of the word "broken" as physical state. The answer isn't obvious, but I hope this clue will help.
    Beorn? He carried Thorin off the battlefield after he had received deadly injuries (broken) in the Battle of Five Armies.
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000182efb/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

[i]"For even the very wise cannot see all ends."[/i][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Halla View Post
    Beorn? He carried Thorin off the battlefield after he had received deadly injuries (broken) in the Battle of Five Armies.
    Yes, correct! I'm so proud of that riddle - I even managed to hide a hint into the verb, hehe.
    Nonetheless, it's your turn!
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    Yes, correct! I'm so proud of that riddle - I even managed to hide a hint into the verb, hehe.
    Nonetheless, it's your turn!
    *bows* It was terribly clever, I admit. I must say that I would have never gotten it without other people's guesses. To restore the balance (= the writer can't come up with any reasonable excuse) mine is rather easy (or at least I think so):

warning about fishers
    [center][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000182efb/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Well, no guesses yet so I will try one. The first thing that comes to my mind is the warning that Arvedui, last king of Arthedain, received from the Chief of the Lossoth while in Forochel about not boarding the ship sent by Cirdan until the winter was over:
    Do not mount on this sea-monster! If they have them, let the seamen bring us food and other things that we need, and you may stay here till the Witch-king goes home. For in summer his power wanes; but now his breath is deadly, and his cold arm is long.
    Arvedui did not take his advice, and the ship later hit some iceburgs and sank, and he perished (we can find and speak with his spirit in LOTRO).
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Well, no guesses yet so I will try one. The first thing that comes to my mind is the warning that Arvedui, last king of Arthedain, received from the Chief of the Lossoth while in Forochel about not boarding the ship sent by Cirdan until the winter was over:

Arvedui did not take his advice, and the ship later hit some iceburgs and sank, and he perished (we can find and speak with his spirit in LOTRO).
    I bow to your clever answer but unfortunately it is not the one I'm looking for. I think you are suggesting that the men on the ship were the fishers in which case I would need to point out that a) they may have done some fishing but I wouldn't call them fishers and b) the warning wasn't against the men on the ship but against the ship itself and boarding it. Now, if you meant the ship there is one major weakness: it's singluar. It could be also said that the warning Averdui received was about the Angmarim - and the Witch-King who, I imagine, would not be to happy to be called a fisher. (Oh, and I just love it when LOTRO gives us that kinds of wonderful pieces of lore. Don't tell anyone, but I always bow to Averdui when I meet him for the first time)

If you would like to argue you case go ahead see if you can convince me But I think it's a time for a hint: this warning is given in The Lord of the Rings.

Red face

Don't tell anyone, but I always bow to Averdui when I meet him for the first time.
    Here, here! And to Elrond and Glorfindel and Galadriel...

Kibilturg; Watchers of Elendil (Landroval) & Tarciryan Knights (Crickhollow)
    RIP Imladris

Don't tell anyone, but I always bow to Averdui when I meet him for the first time

If you would like to argue you case go ahead see if you can convince me But I think it's a time for a hint: this warning is given in The Lord of the Rings.
    Haha, I think I also gave a bow to Arvedui!

As for your trivia question, no I won't argue my case for Arvedui, as I didn't think it to be correct but it was the 1st thing that popped into my head and I wanted to get the ball rolling.

Another answer that I'm not fully convinced of myself but it's the best I can think of for the moment: Gollum swimming in the Forbidden Pool for fish and nearly being killed by the Rangers of Ithilien?

Hmm... my guess is Galadriel's warning to Legolas about the seagulls.
    lvl 105 Guardian | 93 Mini | 63 Hunter | 46 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV

Quote Originally Posted by Arathaert View Post
    Hmm... my guess is Galadriel's warning to Legolas about the seagulls.
    And there you have it! Your turn.

(+ Good to know that I'm not the only one who goes around bowing to NPCs. )
    Last edited by Halla; Apr 09 2013 at 04:05 AM.

Hmm... I'm not very good at coming up with these. It's not a 1-2-3:

Duo bested second-worst.

(yeah, the hyphenated word is kinda cheating but it still counts as three words! lol)
    lvl 105 Guardian | 93 Mini | 63 Hunter | 46 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

To me, the worst would be Morgoth, so the second worst would be Sauron. And a duo that bested Sauron was Frodo and Sam. (I’m thinking end of the SA would be a trio with Gil-galad, Elendil, and Isildur, though one could argue Frodo & Sam also had a 3rd companion in Gollum).

Before I change my mind, final answer: Frodo and Sam

You're on the right track with Sauron!

But I'm gonna have to say no to Frodo and Sam, for the reason you said. And besides Gollum, they had the whole Attack on the Black Gate thing to help them out.

The end of the SA is closer, but still no cigar. Keep guessing!

Luthien and Huan? even if Luthien did almost nothing, Huan did all the work xD
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000002930e0/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Daxid View Post
    Luthien and Huan? even if Luthien did almost nothing, Huan did all the work xD
    Yep!! You got it!

And Luthien did too do stuff.... she's awesome!

The riddle baton passes to you!

Tnx! more i thought about it more i felt i was wrong, ahaha xD

Here my riddle: Messenger Guide Messenger

Should be quite easy ;P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000002930e0/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Excellent work on getting the last riddle Daxid. I had quite forgotten that Luthien was there when Huan and Sauron fought!

And it appears that your riddle was maybe not as easy as you thought! It does make me think of 2 events:
    1. Radagast was a messenger send to summon Gandalf to Isengard. Gandalf can certainly be considered a guide. And Gandalf’s messenger to Frodo was Barliman Butterbur.
    2. Earendil was a messenger to the Valar, the Silmaril could be considered as a guide that helped him reach Aman, and his wife Elwing could be considered a messenger that brought him news of the attack of the Sons of Feanor at Sirion.

Am I on the right track with either of these?

Excellent work on getting the last riddle Daxid. I had quite forgotten that Luthien was there when Huan and Sauron fought!

And it appears that your riddle was maybe not as easy as you thought! It does make me think of 2 events:
    1. Radagast was a messenger send to summon Gandalf to Isengard. Gandalf can certainly be considered a guide. And Gandalf’s messenger to Frodo was Barliman Butterbur.
    2. Earendil was a messenger to the Valar, the Silmaril could be considered as a guide that helped him reach Aman, and his wife Elwing could be considered a messenger that brought him news of the attack of the Sons of Feanor at Sirion.

Am I on the right track with either of these?
    both are wrong, but you are kinda near with Earendil. This riddle involves 2 character, no items or jewels.

Thank you for the compliments, I always loved Huan ;P

Then perhaps Voronwe guiding Tuor to Gondolin
    Well, I suppose you could always say "flame resistant sunglasses" if you prefer that to "shoes"

Quote Originally Posted by Itharas View Post
    Then perhaps Voronwe guiding Tuor to Gondolin
    Exactly =) wasnt too hard ;P
    ironically Voronwe had a message from the elves for the Valar, while Tuor had a message from a Vala for the elves xD

You're the next!

Well, its been almost 1 month without a new riddle posting, so if no one objects I will go ahead and post one. I will attempt a 3-2-1 format and we’ll see how it goes:

Horse Maggot Dog

Confusing riddle but I'll try.

Maybe 'horse maggot' stands for something so simple as 'parasite' instead of a species like I thought first.

'Parasite dog' leads me to think 'vampiric dog', maybe a werewolf. Therefore my answer is Carcharoth the Red Maw; Jaws of Thirst.

A good guess Dweorg, but not what I have in mind.

I’m hoping this is a difficult, but not impossible riddle to solve. To help get you started in the right direction, take the 1st word on it’s own, and the last 2 together.

I don't have the whole answer and I'm running out the door atm so I can't sit and thing, but if I'm thinking in the direction of Farmer Maggot is that a good thing? :P (His three dogs are named Grip, Fang and Wolf - the horse bit has me stumped though.)

Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast