We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by DwarfFriend View Post
    Narsil/Anduril??? Or of course, it could also be Glamdring or Orcrist...
    But the most likely answer to me is: Sting!!! Kind of a sarcastic riddle if that is the answer
    I'm curious.
    I read "screw cloud" as tornado.
    How is Sting (or any sword) a tornado buster?
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I'm curious.
    DwarfFriend, all your guesses are off base. I also am curious as to the logic underlying those guesses.
    A hint; Screw and Cloud do not go together.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

Well, cloud buster miiight have something to do with rain-making. Or then not.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Hints, I think, are in order. first, Screw; this does not refer to a fastener consisting of an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis. second, where are clouds?
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C. S. Lewis-

I'm curious.
    That is a funny story. After everything that is Middle-Earth and Star Wars, the Final Fantasy series is my favourite fantasy series. (Maybe incidentally) the main character from Final Fantasy VII, CLOUD, has a giant sword named BUSTER SWORD. That's why I came to "screw Cloud Buster" as in "my sword is not as big, but much more awesome", that's how I came to Sting. Although, of course, it seemed highly unlikely to me that anyone would post a riddle with a Final Fantasy reference here :P
    The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow, if I can.
    ~Bilbo Baggins~

1st time guessing on this thread. Here goes: cloud buster made me think of the Silmaril Earendil bore on his voyage to Aman, as he needed it to pierce the clouds / fog surrounding the Blessed Realm. Screw then made me think of a ship propeller, so I’ll go with Earendil’s ship – Vingilot.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    1st time guessing on this thread. Here goes: cloud buster made me think of the Silmaril Earendil bore on his voyage to Aman, as he needed it to pierce the clouds / fog surrounding the Blessed Realm. Screw then made me think of a ship propeller, so I’ll go with Earendil’s ship – Vingilot.
    Well, Wilros, screw does sometimes refer to a ship's propeller, but Earendil's ship had none as it was a sailing ship. think of screw in the way a 1920s gangster who has run afoul of john law might. You did think of where clouds are but in too specific a sense (around Aman) think more generally where clouds are located. The term Cloud buster is more usually referred to by another oneword name made up of two words that give a somewhat metaphorical description of what they do. Also keep in mind that this is a 3-2-1 so the second of the two are what is referred to by the second and third of the three. The one is elvish and refers to "things" that existed in both the first and third ages. I've surely now spilled the beans.

Nobody's even guessing so I assume y'all give up. I'm actually questioning my judgement in declaring this a 3-2-1. Well, we'll get to that. Okay, Screw to a roaring 20s gangster is a guard, as in prison guard. Cloud buster is a ywo word name for something more commonly called a skyscraper, hence a tower. so the two word second step is guard tower. as it is a name I, perhaps mistakenly thought of it as a single word but the final answer is Minas Tirith. Yeah, definitely 2 words so, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    Nobody's even guessing so I assume y'all give up. I'm actually questioning my judgement in declaring this a 3-2-1. Well, we'll get to that. Okay, Screw to a roaring 20s gangster is a guard, as in prison guard. Cloud buster is a ywo word name for something more commonly called a skyscraper, hence a tower. so the two word second step is guard tower. as it is a name I, perhaps mistakenly thought of it as a single word but the final answer is Minas Tirith. Yeah, definitely 2 words so, my bad.
    Interesting riddle none the less.
    And there is a way it could have been broken down to one word.
    Minas Tirith was called by the Rohirrim, Mundburg.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

If no one minds, I have quickly come up with a new riddle:

Firstborn Gódhellim Blond

Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post

Imin was the first elf to awaken on the shore of the lake (I forgot the name) in Middle-earth. He was blond or golden-haired.

Interesting riddle none the less.
    And there is a way it could have been broken down to one word.
    Minas Tirith was called by the Rohirrim, Mundburg.
    Ah, very nice. You Boraxxe have a keen wit.

Imin was the first elf to awaken on the shore of the lake (I forgot the name) in Middle-earth. He was blond or golden-haired.
    Firstborn in this case is different then what you may think it means, but the meaning of the word stays the same.

Firstborn in this case is different then what you may think it means, but the meaning of the word stays the same.
    Hmm, how about Ingwiel, son of Ingwe?
    Not sure that Ingwiel was his firstborn though.
    Or maybe you are just looking for Vanyar, the fair elves (they were all blond in the beginning).

Hmm, how about Ingwiel, son of Ingwe?
    Not sure that Ingwiel was his firstborn though.
    Or maybe you are just looking for Vanyar, the fair elves (they were all blond in the beginning).
    1.Its still the wrong thinking of firstborn.
    2.You are misunderstanding one of the words.

Finarfin? he is a Godhellim (a Noldor) and was blonde cus of his mother being a vanyar. Still Firstborn could be a repetition of Noldor.. ;P
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000002930e0/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Daxid View Post
    Finarfin? he is a Godhellim (a Noldor) and was blonde cus of his mother being a vanyar. Still Firstborn could be a repetition of Noldor.. ;P
    Very close, but the meaning of firstborn is still different then what I meant it to be. I knew most people would think of someone being born that way, but there are other ways a thing can be born.

the very very firstborn are the Valar xD So blonde, friends of Noldor... Orome. (sorry, but idk how to write the special character for ending "e". dont have it in italian alphabet xD)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000002930e0/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Daxid View Post
    the very very firstborn are the Valar xD So blonde, friends of Noldor... Orome. (sorry, but idk how to write the special character for ending "e". dont have it in italian alphabet xD)
    Orome is incorrect. The answer is a Noldo because Goldhellim is Sindarin for Noldor not friend of a Noldo, still wrong thinking of firstborn. Try to think how else can a thing be born. The way the Valar were born is similar to the way this Noldo was born.
    Last edited by Andunion; Feb 23 2013 at 11:38 AM.

So I haven't looked at this thread in a while (and perhaps no one else has either), but I was surprised to see no one has guessed Finwe, the first high king of the Noldor.
    Pierced by the friendship of the mortal races.

I must apolagize for "abandoning" this thread for a while. The answer of the riddle is Fingolfin. Here is how this works:
    Firstborn-Fingolfin was one of the first characters ever to be created by Tolkien for the ME legendarium. Firstborn referenced here as he was one of the firstborn characters.
    Godhellim-I have forgoten which language this is from perhaps Sindarin, anyway it means Noldor.
    Blond-Fingolfin's hair was blond, something very strange indeed because most Noldor had dark brown hair, some had even red or silver.
    The riddle stick passes to whomever wishes to post a riddle.
    Last edited by Andunion; Mar 21 2013 at 10:22 PM.

:)

I would like to post a new riddle:

bore broken buckler
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post

bore broken buckler
    Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield
    You're closing to the right answer. Thorin's a hint, but not the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post

bore broken buckler
    Okay! So things are pretty quiet after Easter and whatnot. I'll clarify this riddle because I realized I made a mistake. This is 3-2-1, apologies for forgetting to add that! :/

2nd phase of the riddle is Thorin Oakenshield, but it isn't the final answer. Hope this helps!

Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast