We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duathrandir View Post
    ...so here goes. 321, pro'ly very simple.
    Autocrat's Acrimonious condition
    Thingols Dowary price eg a silmaril
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Land of Entrapment (come on vacation, leave on probation)
    Sorry to take so long to respond but no one touched this for several days. You're on the right track Canus. Think of other synonyms than cross for the condition of acrimony. hope this doesn't give too much away but the one word you're looking for is a Sindarin name.
    Btw Morthaur, that was a pretty creative guess and I can see how ya got there but not correct.
    Last edited by Duathrandir; Nov 27 2012 at 06:28 PM.

I will admit that the following was due mostly to the hint about the Sindarin name.

"autocrat's" = "king's"
    "acrimonious condition" = "bitter condition" = "defeat" = "foil"

Hence, "king's foil" ~ "kingsfoil" = athelas

Quote Originally Posted by Canus View Post
    I will admit that the following was due mostly to the hint about the Sindarin name.

"autocrat's" = "king's"
    "acrimonious condition" = "bitter condition" = "defeat" = "foil"

Hence, "king's foil" ~ "kingsfoil" = athelas
    Ooo that's pretty darn clever. I bet that's it...
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Clever again, but alas, again incorrect. It's the name of a thing and it belonged to Thingol. I'm afraid I must have done something wrong cause y'all are too clever not to have gotten it yet.
    p.s. A foil is a name for a type of the item which is the answer. See what I'm sayin'?
    Last edited by Duathrandir; Dec 01 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Okay, I grow impatient, so...

Autocrat's = King's, Acrimonious Condition = Anger or Wrath. King's Wrath (2 words) = Aranruth (1 word) the Sindarin name of Thingol's prized sword; the only weapon in his armory that Turin could not choose.

As no one guessed correctly, I shall pose another, sry if this has been done I can't remember far enough back through the thread.
    Founding Father's Thorn

Ah. It's been a while since I'd read The Children of Hurin. I would not have gotten that anytime soon. Good riddle, though.

"Founding Father" = Durin the Deathless was the first Dwarf created by Aule and founder of Khazad-dum.
    "Thorn" = constant sore, as in "thorn in one's side" = "bane"

Thus "Founding Father's Thorn" = "Durin's Bane" = "Balrog"

Although the Durin for which this particular balrog was named was not the "Founding Father" Durin...

Ding ding ding! Give the man a cigar. Correct. The floor is your sir.

Why thank you, even if I don't smoke. [rim shot]

Another 3-2-1: ARBOREAL CHIN DIRT

Cool

Arboreal Chin Dirt, well arboreal of a tree or trees (pertaining to trees) and chin dirt, hmmm, I remember in my youth a friend's mother always asking her son's friends who wore facial hair hair why they don't wash their face, why they want that dirt on their chin and lip ("You sucha handsome boy, Why you no washa you face?"). So, Arboreal = tree, Chin Dirt = beard. Tree Beard (2 words) Fangorn (1 word) of course Treebeard as a name would work for 1 too.

Hmm. I thought that was a particularly easy one. You got it!

Yeah, that was easy. Let's see if this is a bit tougher.
    Acquiring Reputation Diamonds
    3-2-1 btw

3-2-1 btw
    This makes me think of conflict diamonds. The only Tolkien related event I can think of is when Beren and Luthien managed to steal one of the Silmarils from Morgoth's Iron Crown. Probably way off but that's my guess.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Nope, sry Bam'. Pro'ly more hint than I should give this early, but think of "acquiring reputation" in gaming terms.
    Last edited by Duathrandir; Dec 08 2012 at 02:33 AM.

sign for adventure

Well dbmorpher, we've already got a riddle working, but I'll give yours a shot. Sign for adventure; is it the secret mark Gandalf makes on Bilbo's door at Bag End?

3-2-1 btw
    This thread is obviously dead, but I wanted to give the answer anyway.
    3) Acquiring Reputation=Grinding (gaming term); Diamonds=Ice (slang, often criminal underworld type slang).
    2) Grinding Ice.
    1) Helcaraxe.

This thread is obviously dead, but I wanted to give the answer anyway.
    3) Acquiring Reputation=Grinding (gaming term); Diamonds=Ice (slang, often criminal underworld type slang).
    2) Grinding Ice.
    1) Helcaraxe.
    I don't think I would have ever got that one. I think the the trivia threads just aren't as active as they used to be. Care to try again Duath? I doubt anyone would mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    I don't think I would have ever got that one. I think the the trivia threads just aren't as active as they used to be. Care to try again Duath? I doubt anyone would mind.
    Okay I'll give it another shot and try not to get impatient this time.
    So, 321 again.

Made Sacred Demesne

Made Sacred Demesne
    Arda?

Because it is made by Eru and valar in the song - therefore it is sacred too. It is sacred to its inhabitants, I think, and perhaps sacred can be used to describe the meaning of Arda to Yavanna, Ulmo and Oromë too. Demesne might refer to the fact Arda was placed under the leadership of Manwë - making Arda to be the lands of Manwë (and other valar) whose only superior ("the Crown", if Manwë is thought as a lord of a manor) is Eru.
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    Arda?

Because it is made by Eru and valar in the song - therefore it is sacred too. It is sacred to its inhabitants, I think, and perhaps sacred can be used to describe the meaning of Arda to Yavanna, Ulmo and Oromë too. Demesne might refer to the fact Arda was placed under the leadership of Manwë - making Arda to be the lands of Manwë (and other valar) whose only superior ("the Crown", if Manwë is thought as a lord of a manor) is Eru.
    I can't fault your reasoning, however, perhaps you've forgotten a step or are unfamiliar w/ the 3-2-1;
    3 words in the original clue, you want to break that down to 2 words which in turn will lead you to the 1 word answer.
    Too early for any more hint than that.
    Btw, if I have explained 321 incorrectly someone help us out w/ a better explanation. Also I hope I did not come across as condescending as it was not my intention.
    You're fairly close.
    Last edited by Duathrandir; Dec 17 2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: wrong word

Woe me, I had a feeling I was doing something wrong, yet I didn't realize what. Oh well, thanks for clarification.

Another try, because I think I have it this time:

Made sacred = sanctified, blessed?
    Demesne = lands, realm
    Blessed realm = Aman

Did I got the idea right?
    "'Nonetheless they will have need of wood', said Aulë and he went on with his smith-work."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dweorg View Post
    Made sacred = sanctified, blessed?
    Demesne = lands, realm
    Blessed realm = Aman

Did I got the idea right?
    You not only got the concept but ya solved the puzzle. It is your turn to pose a riddle.
    The name of the game is 3 word trivia but you do not have to stick w/ the 3 2 1 format. you could just pose a simple 3 word clue, up to you. Just let us know if ya stick with 3 2 1.

3-2-1

I believe this is 3-2-1, but I don't mind if you solve it another way if I'm still misunderstanding the concept.

Shrouded monarch's affection

EDIT: Highlighted the riddle, and realized that it might not be actually similar three-part riddle as was mentioned in the post next poster quoted. Hopefully it can be still solved.
    Last edited by Dweorg; Dec 18 2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Highlight etc

For some clarification I found this earlier in the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Ok, here's a new one with a bit of a twist.

I'll call this a 3-2-1 puzzle.

A three-word clue implementing the two-step concept (thanks Vilnas) leading to a one-word Tolkien answer.

In other words:

The clue will consist of three words that may or may not be Tolkien related.
    This clue will lead to something (any number of words) that is not Tolkien related.
    That intermediate step will lead back to a one-word Tolkien related (from the canon) word.
    So the second part of the puzzle does not have to be restricted to only two words. Dunno if that makes things simpler or not but there ya go! Lol.

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast