We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 1027
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    2,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie1221 View Post
    Not quite there! The Flammifer is the match in question though!
    Ah, then Earendil.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    6 Chestnut Street, Cranworth, Bree-land Homesteads
    Posts
    141
    Correct! I would also have accepted Elwing or Vingilot.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    2,974
    Ok, here's a new one with a bit of a twist.

    I'll call this a 3-2-1 puzzle.

    A three-word clue implementing the two-step concept (thanks Vilnas) leading to a one-word Tolkien answer.

    In other words:

    The clue will consist of three words that may or may not be Tolkien related.
    This clue will lead to something (any number of words) that is not Tolkien related.
    That intermediate step will lead back to a one-word Tolkien related (from the canon) word.

    Now that I have totally obfuscated this here we go:

    Gastromancer's prime tool


    Note: by "canon" I mean The Hobbit, LOTR, The Silmarillion, The Adventures of Tom Bombadill, and The Children Of Hurin

    I think this one should be fairly easy, but time will tell.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Ok, here's a new one with a bit of a twist.

    I'll call this a 3-2-1 puzzle.

    A three-word clue implementing the two-step concept (thanks Vilnas) leading to a one-word Tolkien answer.

    In other words:

    The clue will consist of three words that may or may not be Tolkien related.
    This clue will lead to something (any number of words) that is not Tolkien related.
    That intermediate step will lead back to a one-word Tolkien related (from the canon) word.

    Now that I have totally obfuscated this here we go:

    Gastromancer's prime tool


    Note: by "canon" I mean The Hobbit, LOTR, The Silmarillion, The Adventures of Tom Bombadill, and The Children Of Hurin

    I think this one should be fairly easy, but time will tell.
    Right, bare with me.

    If by "Gastromancer" you mean it in the sense that it is used more commonly today to denote someone really good at cooking (this might be a UK thing), then his prime tool might just be a pan. The panhandle (so called because it looks like a pan with a long handle) or big dipper is, in Middle-earth the Valacirca.

    ...Was it Valacira?


    If, on the other hand, you meant Gastromancer in its actual sense (someone who looks into crystal balls) then his prime tool would be a crystal ball. So I'd go with Palintir.

    If it's neither of these I'm stumped for now.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    2,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Curandhras View Post
    Right, bare with me.

    If by "Gastromancer" you mean it in the sense that it is used more commonly today to denote someone really good at cooking (this might be a UK thing), then his prime tool might just be a pan. The panhandle (so called because it looks like a pan with a long handle) or big dipper is, in Middle-earth the Valacirca.

    ...Was it Valacira?


    If, on the other hand, you meant Gastromancer in its actual sense (someone who looks into crystal balls) then his prime tool would be a crystal ball. So I'd go with Palintir.

    If it's neither of these I'm stumped for now.
    Interesting route you took there to get to Valacira.
    I wondered where the ambiguous double-defined gastromancer would lead.
    As I suspected it looks like this was an easy one.
    You did come up with Palantir which is what was intended. When starting a new concept it's best, I think, to start simple.
    Now I hope you will follow my lead and come up with another 3-2-1, but it's not required.

    Gratz!
    Your turn.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Now I hope you will follow my lead and come up with another 3-2-1, but it's not required.

    Gratz!
    Your turn.
    I'd been hoping myself since I guessed. I've come up with so many that I thought were so, so obvious I had to scrap them .

    But, I'll go with:

    Christmas Light Bulbs.

    As with Boraxxe's these three words lead to a clue which in turn leads to the one word Tolkien answer.

    It's screamingly obvious to me but then I came up with it, so I don't know how good a clue it actually is .

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    2,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Curandhras View Post
    I'd been hoping myself since I guessed. I've come up with so many that I thought were so, so obvious I had to scrap them .

    But, I'll go with:

    Christmas Light Bulbs.

    As with Boraxxe's these three words lead to a clue which in turn leads to the one word Tolkien answer.

    It's screamingly obvious to me but then I came up with it, so I don't know how good a clue it actually is .
    You have found what has confounded me. Sometimes I think what I provide is a REAL easy puzzle, only to find out that what seems obvious to me is a terrific conundrum to others.

    I will sleep on this one and maybe if no one has answered by noon I will have a light bulb blink over my head and will come up with a guess.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,945
    Have to admit, a clue would be useful here to me. I'm probably over thinkin', but all of the obvious answers seem too...obvious. Heh.

    Wadyaa say Curandhras?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

    Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    156
    I'm gonna go with the two lams of the Valar.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    2,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    I'm gonna go with the two lams of the Valar.
    The two lamps...exactly what I was thinking, but I could not find a way to express that in one word.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    156
    Ooops, I just realized it was supposed to be one word.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,945
    Gonna throw one out there...

    The vial Galadriel gave to Frodo?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

    Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    I'm gonna go with the two lams of the Valar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    The two lamps...exactly what I was thinking, but I could not find a way to express that in one word.
    Sorry everyone RL got in the way unexpectedly!

    I'll hold off on giving a clue for the minute since these two are along the right lines and pretty close.

    Well I won't hold off on giving a clue, but think where you put christmas lights (usually).

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    PMC, Chile
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Curandhras View Post
    Sorry everyone RL got in the way unexpectedly!

    I'll hold off on giving a clue for the minute since these two are along the right lines and pretty close.

    Well I won't hold off on giving a clue, but think where you put christmas lights (usually).
    I bet for the Trees of Valinor
    Last edited by Milliard; Sep 15 2012 at 08:42 PM.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by Milliard View Post
    I bet for the Trees of Valinor
    Very much more along the right lines.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    PMC, Chile
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Curandhras View Post
    Very much more along the right lines.
    Then the Party Tree or the Mallorns

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by Milliard View Post
    Then the Party Tree or the Mallorns
    Further away from the right lines.

    Remember it's a one word answer we're after.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    PMC, Chile
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Curandhras View Post
    Further away from the right lines.

    Remember it's a one word answer we're after.
    The last one xD

    Nimloth

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by Milliard View Post
    The last one xD

    Nimloth
    Haha, valiant effort but not right

    I'll leave it a bit to see if anyone else can crack it.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    2,974
    Christmas Light Bulbs:

    Silmarils

    The globes containing the last true light of the Two Trees of Valinor.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Christmas Light Bulbs:

    Silmarils

    The globes containing the last true light of the Two Trees of Valinor.
    Bingo. You have the floor.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    2,974
    Ok.
    A bit delayed, but here's the next one. Again, this will be a 3-2-1 puzzle (see above for details).
    (To honor TLAPD):

    Polly wanna' cracker


    Note: There are a few answers to this one. First one-word that fits wins.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    PMC, Chile
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Ok.
    A bit delayed, but here's the next one. Again, this will be a 3-2-1 puzzle (see above for details).
    (To honor TLAPD):

    Polly wanna' cracker


    Note: There are a few answers to this one. First one-word that fits wins.
    I'm thinking on Gwaihir, Lord of the Eagles

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Posts
    2,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Milliard View Post
    I'm thinking on Gwaihir, Lord of the Eagles
    That works!

    Any of the various "talking birds" would have fit the bill.

    Gratz!
    It's your turn.
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    PMC, Chile
    Posts
    19
    Ok an easy one:

    Stone cold twins
    Last edited by Milliard; Sep 19 2012 at 06:15 PM.

 

 
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload