We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Three-word Tokien Trivia

It's usually Boraxxe who starts these things but since the other games seem to have stopped being played except the anagram one, I was thinking we should start a new one. The rules are exactly the same, so Ill just go ahead.

Five Stringed Fiddle

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andunion View Post
    It's usually Boraxxe who starts these things but since the other games seem to have stopped being played except the anagram one, I was thinking we should start a new one. The rules are exactly the same, so Ill just go ahead.

Five Stringed Fiddle
    That's what the ostler's tipsy cat plays. (The Man In The Moon Stayed Up Too Late).
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

You are correct.

OK, here's a new one.

Milk ruining face
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

I want to say..Bill Ferny. I don't have my copy in front of me, but I say that because I believe there was a quote from one of the hobbits saying how his face could curdle milk. That or the squint eyed southener.

Eodread, Earendel, Isilmacil - Horizon
    Thattickles, Thangorodread - Table Smashers

Quote Originally Posted by Isilmacil View Post
    I want to say..Bill Ferny. I don't have my copy in front of me, but I say that because I believe there was a quote from one of the hobbits saying how his face could curdle milk. That or the squint eyed southener.
    So close....
    Right track, wrong character.

6 Chestnut Street, Cranworth, Bree-land Homesteads
    Wasn't it Lobelia Sackville-Baggins with the expression that could curdle milk?

/shot in the dark
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000001dcec7/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Cynleafe Truespear, Grandmaster Cook. Theodosia Redwing, Grandmaster Woodworker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie1221 View Post
    Wasn't it Lobelia Sackville-Baggins with the expression that could curdle milk?

/shot in the dark
    Sophie, you have a good gun. Right on target.
    You have the stick.

I adore trivia. I am so happy I found this forum.

Now a first attempt at making a question:

Dainty stepper's son
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000001dcec7/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Cynleafe Truespear, Grandmaster Cook. Theodosia Redwing, Grandmaster Woodworker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie1221 View Post
    I adore trivia. I am so happy I found this forum.

Now a first attempt at making a question:

Dainty stepper's son
    This may be a bit of a stretch, but ya gotta start somewhere....

Dainty stepper = Luthien: Luthien was half elf. In popular culture some images of elves are depicted as "fairies"; somewhat "dainty" beings. Luthien enchanted (unwittingly) Beren when he saw her dancing in the forest. So we have a dainty dancer, or perhaps dainty "stepper". The son of Beren and Luthien is Dior.

So, my rather convoluted reasoning has Dior as the "dainty stepper's son".

If this turns out to be correct, I am gonna have another shot of Old Bushmills.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    This may be a bit of a stretch, but ya gotta start somewhere....

Dainty stepper = Luthien: Luthien was half elf. In popular culture some images of elves are depicted as "fairies"; somewhat "dainty" beings. Luthien enchanted (unwittingly) Beren when he saw her dancing in the forest. So we have a dainty dancer, or perhaps dainty "stepper". The son of Beren and Luthien is Dior.

So, my rather convoluted reasoning has Dior as the "dainty stepper's son".

If this turns out to be correct, I am gonna have another shot of Old Bushmills.
    Heehee, no shot for you. That is not who I meant (although that's a very good guess).

Haven't been posing much for awhile, but I thought I'd take a shot at this one. Nice progression by the way!

How about Snowmane who was the foal (son) of Lightfoot?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Haven't been posing much for awhile, but I thought I'd take a shot at this one. Nice progression by the way!

How about Snowmane who was the foal (son) of Lightfoot?
    Indeed it is! Have at it.

Admit it! Y'all missed it! That alliteration lovin'!

This one shouldn't take long...

dignified discarded decapitation.
    Last edited by bambubambubambu; Sep 11 2012 at 10:42 AM.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

dignified discarded decapitation:

The head of the old king, broken off of a nearby statue was crowned with flowers by a blooming vine which had grown upon it. Frodo and Sam saw this as they were approaching Cirith Ungol.

dignified discarded decapitation:

The head of the old king, broken off of a nearby statue was crowned with flowers by a blooming vine which had grown upon it. Frodo and Sam saw this as they were approaching Cirith Ungol.
    You got it! Yer up Boraxxe!

Ok, next one:

scratched in stone

Ok, next one:

scratched in stone
    G3 - Gandalf's message to Aragorn and the Hobbits on Weathertop?

That's it. See, they aren't all that tuff....(I'm a terrible judge of what's hard and what's easy).

That's it. See, they aren't all that tuff....(I'm a terrible judge of what's hard and what's easy).
    I'd say that was more a lucky coincidence of timing than anything else, I just read that section looking for something else.

Next clue:

Italian match bearer

Clue please!

Couple of clues:

1. The riddle is linguistic/etymological in nature, it's a word-nerd puzzle.

2. There are three answers that are equally acceptable.

Another clue - you're looking to translate "match" into Italian and see where that leads you.

Ack!

Flammifer of Westernesse

Not quite there! The Flammifer is the match in question though!

Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast