We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lines that would have changed LOTR forever.....

This was a fun thread that was made some years ago and I never forgot it. What lines in the books would have changed the storyline, and not in a small way?

Gandalf: "Is it secret? Is it safe?"

Frodo: "Well Gandalf, you never came back, and I had to find a way to pay my tab at the Green Dragon, so about that ring...."
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Bilbo: "What have I got in my pocket?"

Smeagol: "My Ring you dirty stinkin' Hobbit thief!"

The next scene sort of writes itself. Ha ha.
    "In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit."
    Elrendoes - 106 Warden // Elrendos - 76 Hunter // Elrendose - 67 Minstrel
    <- Goblin's For Hire ->
    Brandywine

Elf #1: "By Elbereth! Who's that pillock on the Elk?"

Elf #2: "Well kick me, and call me an Ent Wife... It's Thandruil! "
    Yes, I know it's a Rabbit: they don't have a Hedgehog.

Saruman: "Isengard bids five."

A popup box asks our player characters if we'd like to bid six.

Edit: Sorry. I just noticed the title is LOTR not LOTRO. My bad.
    Last edited by Kevin2099; May 01 2018 at 08:01 AM.

Sam actually does kill himself when he thinks Shelob's killed Frodo.

The beagles are coming!
    The beagles are coming!
    ........................... missed a putt. ...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his wedding with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
    Nobody expected that Bilbo would marry with the widow Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, and now Lobelia proudly exhibited in her finger a little gold engagement ring with a strange marks.
    Last edited by JDrakul; May 04 2018 at 10:59 AM.
    Go back to your books... and your armchair... plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people... valued home above gold... this world would be a merrier... place...
    Thorin Oakenshield

Quote Originally Posted by JDrakul View Post
    When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his wedding with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.
    Nobody expected that Bilbo would marry with the widow Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, and now Lobelia proudly exhibited in her finger a little gold engagement ring with a strange marks.
    That would be a good excuse to throw Lobelia into Mt. Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by JDrakul View Post
    Hmmm...
    Lobelia wears The Ring and is apparently not invisible.
    There is only one other being I can recall that did not disappear when wearing The Ring.

Maybe Lobelia's real full-name is: Lobelia Bombadil-Sackville-Baggins?
    ........................... missed a putt. ...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.

WBS is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Destroyer of Worlds
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    There is only one other being I can recall that did not disappear when wearing The Ring.
    That's not quite correct.

Tom Bombadil is the only being we know for sure that was unaffected by the rings power, but not the only being that didn't become invisible when wearing it; Sauron certainly didn't.

General thinking is that any creature of sufficient power also wouldn't be made invisible by it, but could be affected by it's evil.

It's highly likely that any of the Istari would have remained visible and probably Galadriel as well.

This last part is purely my own opinion, but I suspect that the Valar would also have been completely unaffected by its power as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    That's not quite correct.

Tom Bombadil is the only being we know for sure that was unaffected by the rings power, but not the only being that didn't become invisible when wearing it; Sauron certainly didn't.

General thinking is that any creature of sufficient power also wouldn't be made invisible by it, but could be affected by it's evil.

It's highly likely that any of the Istari would have remained visible and probably Galadriel as well.

This last part is purely my own opinion, but I suspect that the Valar would also have been completely unaffected by its power as well.
    How do we know that Sauron didn't become invisible when wearing the ring?
    I don't remember reading that anywhere... (but then I don't remember my shoe size...usually).

Frodo, while Pippin was busy watching Gandalf check out the log book at Balin's Tom, carelessly dropped the ring into the well.........
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I don't remember reading that anywhere... (but then I don't remember my shoe size...usually).
    You are 100% correct. There is no evidence that the ring can't make Sauron invisible either.

The Ring didn't actually make people invisible, it shifted them temporarily into the 'spirit world'. This is why Frodo, when he puts on the Ring on Weathertop can actually see the Nazgul as kings of men, as they were before their own rings turned them into undead wraiths. Bombadil is a being of sufficient power, at least on his own turf, that the Ring has no power over him. I don't believe that Tolkien ever said one way or another whether the Ring would make Sauron invisible, but I suspect it wouldn't. For one thing, Sauron made the One Ring, and he was it's master. Also I don't think that Sauron was subject to such things as the 'spirit world' in the same way that a man or a hobbit would be. Don't forget the Battle of Dagorlad, how could Gil-galad and Elendil engage Sauron in combat if he was invisible, and how could Isildur have cut the One Ring from his finger?

It's one of those things which Tolkien unfortunately left unsaid, but I think in the absence of textual proof, common sense should rule here.

Quote Originally Posted by Langie View Post
    The Ring didn't actually make people invisible, it shifted them temporarily into the 'spirit world'. This is why Frodo, when he puts on the Ring on Weathertop can actually see the Nazgul as kings of men, as they were before their own rings turned them into undead wraiths. Bombadil is a being of sufficient power, at least on his own turf, that the Ring has no power over him. I don't believe that Tolkien ever said one way or another whether the Ring would make Sauron invisible, but I suspect it wouldn't. For one thing, Sauron made the One Ring, and he was it's master. Also I don't think that Sauron was subject to such things as the 'spirit world' in the same way that a man or a hobbit would be. Don't forget the Battle of Dagorlad, how could Gil-galad and Elendil engage Sauron in combat if he was invisible, and how could Isildur have cut the One Ring from his finger?

It's one of those things which Tolkien unfortunately left unsaid, but I think in the absence of textual proof, common sense should rule here.
    I can agree with that.
    If I needed to make a guess then I would guess that he probably didn't become invisible while wearing the ring.
    I guess my point was that it is not a certainty.

Tell you what everybody;
    If he shows up at my BBQ next month I will ask him. (I did send an invite, but I'm not sure he has a mailbox.)
    Any other questions I should pose?

I can agree with that.
    If I needed to make a guess then I would guess that he probably didn't become invisible while wearing the ring.
    I guess my point was that it is not a certainty.

Tell you what everybody;
    If he shows up at my BBQ next month I will ask him. (I did send an invite, but I'm not sure he has a mailbox.)
    Any other questions I should pose?
    That stuff about how did Gilgalad, Elendil and Isuldur fight Sauron if he was invisible? How about how did Gollum bit the ring of Frodo's finger when he was invisible?
    A combination of stealth detection and luck. Either way Sauron loves a good BBQ.