We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

In Memorium: J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Thirty-nine years ago on this date passed the former Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford University, a brilliant philologist, and perhaps the greatest writer of fiction of the 20th Century, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. His works have inspired millions of readers in a most extraordinary way, and will continue to do so as long as the West endures.

Find a Grave: J.R.R. Tolkien

Donald Swann's setting of the same poem.

Rest in Peace Prof Tolkien

...We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams.

Peter S. Beagle from the forward to the Fellowship of the Ring.
    Hunter's Motto:

Travel light, travel fast, and keep moving.

It's hard to imagine a more influential author, and that with only two works ever published in his life-time. Almost 40 years after his death, he is more popular than ever, and his popularity continues to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Playswithmatches View Post
    ...We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams.

I can't think of a better quote to go with this, very good and true words.

"It's a gift!"
    ~~Niggle~~

Quote Originally Posted by Playswithmatches View Post

I absolutely love this.

Tolkien was a colonizer of my dreams. RIP Professor.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

“A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien

In every way a genius. We're lucky that he took it upon himself to record his dreams, I can think of none more powerful.

Rest in peace.

This post may be pretty late but I remembered this song and I have to put it on this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgcoBKWTW14

Let the ships take him to the Undying Lands.
    Last edited by Andunion; Oct 01 2012 at 08:05 PM.

I do not agree with many of the Professor's ideologies and beliefs, but the world would have been a lesser one if not for his creations. RIP.