We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Art of Warg

The Art of Warg

It's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks. This post is designed to help those of the warg community to improve their performance out in the Moors. What cycle of skills works best against specific Freep classes? In what situations is it better to use Shadow or Flayer stance? Which traits/skills/corruptions are a must and which are a bust? Should I stack moral and hope for the best? How should a warg approach 1v1, small group,warg pack or raid? If the Freep is a LOTRO Store brand buster, is the fight worth the effort? How do pots affect my gameplay?

Delete your warg. This doesn't help the over population of them.
    I have a noob rune keeper and a champ that only tanks. Suck it.

Always glad when people wanna take up and learn how to 1v1 ! Anyway, I suggest for advice you ask Lugsteal, Kratlerr, Mashag, Hagzu, Azunox, Gwann, Yqzu, Grishmama or Malstryx, particularly in the 1v1 department as they range in the category of adept to good to great at their class. I will try my best to give advice tho, tho it prob won't be near as good as theirs, as well as vary from my own views. When you get it all the allotted advice, you do what you feel is right!

For Flayer: generally, you want to use this stance vs. LMs, cappies, guardian, champions, rks, minnies, wardens, burgs, and hunters, pretty much all freep classes . The induction debuff is especially annoying for LMs and hunters if/when their NH/fleetness go down; combined with flea bitten, it's such a killer lol.

For shadow: it's good to use vs. hunters if you have good movement :P. I guess it's good to use vs. rks too if they are squishy enough to burn down, but both them and hunters can blow you up pretty good if you get unlucky lol. Shadow could also be viable vs. LM as well, tho the induction debuff is really nice with flayer and makes it pretty hard to win on a LM when that's going off.

Overall, flayer is the more preferred and stronger stance for wargs. It's a real pita vs a lot of freeps. Shadow is still a good stance for 1v1, but it doesn't seem as prevalent. Also, like I said, if you have flea bitten, it's a must in every 1v1. The difference that skill makes is ridiculous for a warg to win.

As for corruptions, try to go for what you think is good morale, but make sure you have great damage to accompany it. I always like to go for a balanced build on my toons if I can, save my hunter's op morale build .

Brand is frowned upon in 1v1 situations, but anything else, feel free to use tho not using cds makes you better imo. Personally, I don't think I would use (stun, health, power, etc.) pots in a 1v1 as I think they are unfair and not needed, other than that I will use pots tho obv outside of them. If you have flea-bitten and other +attack duration debuffs on a freep anyway, tho FB is a rank 8 skill, you could slow down their attacks enough that they wouldn't do as much damage when ur stunned because they can't attack as fast, thus you won't need a health pot either from not taking as much damage. Also, flayer heals you for a good bit as is, so using a health pot is just overkill lol. You can use pots if you want, not going to force it upon you not to, but challenging urself by not using pots and such makes you a better player, and even so where you might be able to beat certain people that do use such things. Idk, I just feel you haven't accomplished much relying on outside things that aren't apart of your class to win a 1v1, same thing with cds, but that's just my personal view on it, sort of a esoteric samurai code I live by in this game in a way heh. Of course, if someone pots on you, use one back, or a cd on you, use one back. I'm so stupid I challenge myself not to use anything even if they do lol.

Of course, dont listen to me tho as I'm the official forum dooshebag according to people who get's vilified for speaking his mind and berated when he is right about something, but no one wants to hear it :P. Anyway, hope you find it helpful!
    Last edited by Grimphore; Sep 08 2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Ewoc EMAY of the "Lonely Mountain" , Izergz Reaver
    OP RoI Hunter Build:
    http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p...nShot00071.jpg

Check out the below web-link for a lot of great information on warg tactics, character builds and technical answers. I find it extremely useful and straight forward. Based off the title of this thread, you may have already used it before as a reference. Anyway, good luck to you.

http://theartofwarg.wordpress.com
    Wolfgash - Rank 14 Warg, Gladden

I run in shadow vs. freeps with high b/p/e, aka wardens, shield guards, and burgs. Shadow allows for every skill to be from stealth, which effectively chops a good chunk off bpe.

Everything else, flayer ftw.
    RIP Milkmefondly 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TQDesign View Post
    Delete your warg. This doesn't help the over population of them.
    yes i agree that there are far too many wargs out but still, if your going to play a class you should learn to play it right.

Ignore them, play whatever you like. freeps can't handle too many of the one class that got a chance to beat them? well too bad for them.
    Do you come from a land down under? Where women glow and men plunder? Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? You better run, you better take cover - Men at Work.
    You're welcome. Now it will fester in your head :p

Quote Originally Posted by Witch0King View Post
    Ignore them, play whatever you like. freeps can't handle too many of the one class that got a chance to beat them? well too bad for them.
    I can beat 90% of the wargs solo, it's just annoying to see groups of 6 all the time. Variation is nice, an over abundance of anything is bad.
    I have a noob rune keeper and a champ that only tanks. Suck it.

it's just annoying to see groups of 6 all the time. Variation is nice, an over abundance of anything is bad.
    part 1, tell that to pepperioni, and his packs of stealthed hobbit burgs ans minis,
    part 2, yes, variation is nice.

I can beat 90% of the wargs solo, it's just annoying to see groups of 6 all the time. Variation is nice, an over abundance of anything is bad.
    I know how it is, every time you hit a warg another one pops out. infact it's hopeless, but that's no excuse to chase people away from the class if they enjoy it.
    Do you come from a land down under? Where women glow and men plunder? Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? You better run, you better take cover - Men at Work.

I know how it is, every time you hit a warg another one pops out. infact it's hopeless, but that's no excuse to chase people away from the class if they enjoy it.
    just like burgs. and minis. and sometimes wardens. but yeah if they enjoy playing the class thats their choice.

Disclaimer: I agree that most wargs should just delete their toons. However Deregorn asked me to post this for him, so here goes.

Hey everyone, Deregorn/Kratlerr here. I’m having a buddy post this for me since I got forum handicaps. Anyway, stances first…

Flayer may seem like the obvious choice against most classes for varying reasons, but this often isn’t the case. Against hunters/RK’s, Flayer’s defenses don’t hold up well to their burst damage, and your increased burst damage lets you burn through their low morale pools. In flayer, a good hunter can usually kill you before you get all of Flayer’s buffs and bleeds stacked. Shadow’s 10 seconds of silence are extremely valuable against RK’s (blocks their EC, lightning stun, another 2-3k crit skill and some other stuff), and it’s total of +50% induction time (25% from fleas and 25% from Savage Fangs) make it very difficult for hunters to get ISB off. Same goes for RK’s, though Flayer is still very effective against LM’s.

In 1v1’s I generally prefer Flayer against all melee classes as well, but in open battles I would rather use Shadow against guards, burgs, and wardens to bypass their BPE (Shadow actually makes 3 of your skills impossible to BPE, not just unlikely).

Silences are an important thing to consider when choosing your stance. One of a warg’s key roles in raids is to disrupt healers and nukers, and nothing shuts down a healer like a silence. Once you get Dire Howl, you’ll be able to silence multiple healers at once as well as reapplying it to one. This can pretty much turn a fight around. And never forget about the extra (incurable) 25% induction time you can add with Savage Fangs. Flayer’s interrupting bleed competes well with, and at times ever surpasses, Shadow’s interrupting abilities, but you rarely want to give up your silence when dealing with healing minstrels. RK healers are a different story, since their heals are barred by disarms, making Flayer the obvious choice against them.

As for skill rotations, most warg skills are on relatively short cooldowns and many apply over-time effects. Because of this, I prefer to think of them as skill “priorities” rather than rotations. There are some debuffs that are crucially important that should be reapplied immediately. Crippling Bite is your single most important skill. You should be using it every 10-12 seconds in almost every situation, whether on the same target or different ones is up to you. Maul, being one of your most powerful bleeds, is also one you want to use as often as you can.

A few things about Shadow:
    1. Sudden Maul gives you a 25% boost to your attack speed. Use Maul every time it’s up until you get a crit
    2. Savage Fangs adds 25% induction time. This is very potent, especially when stacked with Fleas
    3. Sudden Maul, Bestial Claws, and Pounce are 100% impossible to BPE. Don’t hesitate to chase after a fleeing guard or burg
    4. Positional damage (bonus for attacking from behind) is very significant, especially in Shadow stance. Use both your mouse and your keys to maneuver around and/or through your enemies to stay behind them as much as possible

And Flayer:
    1. Raking Claws (the interrupting bleed) breaks minstrels and hobbits out of their flops. Do this every single chance you get. It feels so good
    2. Muscle Tear (the huge movement/attack slow) is broken. If the target has any other slows on them, the movement slow will not apply. Keep this in mind, and open 1v1’s with this skill so you benefit from both slows (and can reapply it later)
    3. While it may be tempting to stack 4 Raking Claw bleeds as soon as you can, don’t neglect your other debuffs. They only pulse every 4 seconds. This isn’t to say they aren’t powerful, but using Claws every other skill isn’t always the best idea. For a purely offensive strategy it can be, but if you are facing a challenge you will want to get your other debuffs up early on
    4. Bleed kiting has always been an effective strategy of the warg, but even more so in Flayer. Not only do you have more bleeds to stack, but your bubble heals you nicely when you aren’t taking damage, while their morale continues to whither. You can turn a fight completely around with some well-planned kiting

A few general tips:
    1. Don’t forget that Flea Bitten and Dire Howl can break stealth. If you know where a burg or hunter is hidden, you can run by and pop ‘em out.
    2. Many freeps (and creeps) will ridicule you for escaping a fight. Don’t let this bother you, as you are simply playing your classes’ strengths. Wargs are made for hit-and-runs. Disappear and Sprint are some of the most reliable escape skills in the game, and make for almost guaranteed survival when used together. However…
    3. Escaping isn’t always as beneficial as it may seem. If your goal is to survive, then have at it. But if you want to deal more damage, and therefore rank faster, you’re better off using these skills offensively when the fight isn’t too far from a rez circle. Many freep classes and individual players rely on slows to kite you and stay safe. When you’re sprinting, they just don’t know what to do! It usually involves hobbling around in circles and desperately wishing for a pocket healer. Also, if you rely on your cooldowns to escape from every fight, then you likely end up participating in fewer fights, seriously gimping your ranking speed
    4. Savage Fangs, Flea Bitten, Frenzy, Scratch and Snip, Dire Howl, and both stances have very long animations. When you use these skills in a fight, try to either interrupt them with an immediate skill (Eye Rake, Disappear, Sprint, Dire Howl) to cut off the animation or kite the freep(s) off until it finishes
    5. Scratch and Snip + Eye Rake makes for a good burst of damage in between claws. Try to coordinate your stuns with these 2 skills' cooldowns

Corruptions. I go 3 morale, Damage for Power 2, and 2 masteries almost all the time. But, any combination of morale and damage is viable for wargs. Mitigations can be very potent, but mostly only if there is a large proportion of physical or tactical freeps out. I don’t think traiting both mitigations is worth it, but I could be wrong on this.

Class/race traits. Improved Stealth is the first thing you want to get, no doubt about it. Element of Surprise is very powerful in combination with Shadow Stance, as its critical bonus applies on every use of Claws, Maul, and Pounce throughout combat. Long Strides and Four-legged Foe are also important for the warg’s passive 10% run speed.

Last thing I’d like to say is that it’s worthwhile to play recklessly. There is practically no penalty for dying in this game, and I believe it’s much more satisfying to die surrounded by freeps and bring one down with you than to sprint off in the distance and wait for your morale to regen. Hope this helped!
    Last edited by Winkey; Sep 13 2012 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkey View Post
    Last thing I’d like to say is that it’s worthwhile to play recklessly. There is practically no penalty for dying in this game, and I believe it’s much more satisfying to die surrounded by freeps and bring one down with you than to sprint off in the distance and wait for your morale to regen. Hope this helped!
    I am so happy to know warg with tbhismentality exists...

Every of them what i know was just hiding scum who enters when u are under 50% max morale stuns then he realizes wardens are terrifing foes in good hands -> disappear + sprint & and praying that my 5 stacking Dot not killing him until they wear off :P

Quote Originally Posted by Leri927 View Post
    I am so happy to know warg with tbhismentality exists...

Every of them what i know was just hiding scum who enters when u are under 50% max morale stuns then he realizes wardens are terrifing foes in good hands -> disappear + sprint & and praying that my 5 stacking Dot not killing him until they wear off :P
    Like any burg on this server? hips, hips, hips. the fun part is when they run when they attack you with their brand popped

Like any burg on this server? hips, hips, hips. the fun part is when they run when they attack you with their brand popped
    The even better part is a ten warg raid with a defiler amd five or more out of group wargs lurking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeylad View Post
    The even better part is a ten warg raid with a defiler amd five or more out of group wargs lurking around.
    Release the warden!

Release the warden!
    That would've been fun!

After some time in the moors, I believe I have successfully studied the art of warg, as practiced by 99% of the population. After some trial and error, I think I now have the perfect skill bar setup.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Winkey; Feb 10 2013 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkey View Post
    After some in the moors, I believe I have successfully studied the art of warg, as practiced by 99% of the population. After some trial and error, I think I now have the perfect skill bar setup.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    No brand or track?
    [CENTER][COLOR=#C7CF92][img]http://i.imgur.com/9rGw1Yd.gif[/img]
    Misadventure - R14 Hunter, Fatwanda-1 - R10 Guard
    Velvetsixteen - R13 Reaver, Reported - R11 Warg, Gloriousleader - R10 WL[/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Alas, my little r4 warg doesn't have a brand or the track skill. I was considering putting a stun pot on the bar, but then there would have been a chance that when I applied my face to the keyboard I might not hit sprint and/or hips.

I do seem to be having a lot of trouble killing people by myself, the 15s cd on my dps skill is painful, maybe the answer to this is just more wargs?

My warg needs to take lessons...sneaking around watching is his favorite thing to do. He's a coward. (or maybe my mini was more fun out there...ha!)
    [center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/cynte/kinship_stuff/lotro-sig.png[/IMG][/center]

Good pointers and some of it is good to know since I was gone for most of the changes.

I think it is too late to teach most of these YOUNG dogs any tricks. The real old dogs adjust better.
    [B][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]Gladden[/SIZE]
    <Cmdr. Dolcarak><Lt. Cojiro>
    ~Leader of SotWH~[/COLOR][COLOR=blk]
    [/COLOR]

[/CENTER]

[/B]

Deregorn gave a pretty good Guide. I want to add on the Class traits. There are four Traits I say are a 100% Must: Improved Stealth, Long Strides, Shadow Fang, and Enhanced Sprint. I would say Rallying Howl is also a good one to trait.

I think I may start running a warg pack again, couple people have said I should train some of these nub wargs so they don't just run. Should be fun and keep wargs getting infamy after U10.

FYI Swift, Shadow only makes Pounce, Maul, and claws act as though from stealth, and skill from stealth can't be bpe'd.
    [/COLOR]

[/CENTER]

[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
    .....I think I may start running a warg pack again....

Warg packs are the epitome of fail with everyone sittin' up in first class on the ez-mode express train.

So the scrolls sayeth!

Quote Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
    .....couple people have said I should train some of these nub wargs so they don't just run.....

No offense, but i'm pretty sure Confucious would say you have to first learn the art of snatching the pebble from the hand before you can begin teaching others.

On the other hand, giving classes on the art of fighting without fighting may be just your cup of tea.

Just make sure we kill you every time we see you.
    [/COLOR]

[/CENTER]

[/B]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast