We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Housing In ROR

Housing In ROR

Turbine have to wake up , they keep adding new housing items each expsnsion but they not changing anything in house system at all.

We getting some nice house decoration in ror but i belive most of us dont have place to store them ...

It has to be fixed ...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000000f8048/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Housing won't be included with Riders of Rohan, nor will it likely get any additions before the Update scheduled to happen before the end of the year. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a total housing revamp by the middle to end of next year.

It's a major untapped resource, and if it was done correctly, it could generate a lot of revenue for Turbine, especially if they worked additional features and add-ons into the Lotro store. After all, I've never met anyone in this game who doesn't like housing, only those who find it too limited for their own use. If they get a reliable and fun system in place before Western Rohan is released, then they'll have plenty of time to build a new homestead in Rohan.
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]

Untapped? yes...ever be done?..doubt it
    It doesn't benefit the devs to do a revamp for something like housing
    [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/skyn_floote/media/download_zpsnwqup217.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/skyn_floote/download_zpsnwqup217.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    [b]4 Garden St, Grafshaw, Bree-land Homesteads, Silverlode[/b]

Quote Originally Posted by Krindus View Post
    After all, I've never met anyone in this game who doesn't like housing, only those who find it too limited for their own use.
    You're asking them the wrong question. Instead of "Do you like Housing?" try asking "Would you give up a new region, or new instances for a Housing revamp?" I have a feeling the responses would be rather different.

IMO, updating Housing could be beneficial, both monetarily and for the game's image, but there's a substantial risk that all the dev time could be for naught. At this time they don't seem willing to make that leap.

On another note, I'm not a Dev so I have no idea how complex these changes would be to make, but perhaps just removing the hooks in exchange for a grid style might work well enough that a complete shakeup would not be needed.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#ffffff]Morlenil Barkolomew Turmuz Shurz Gruubluk

Posting in white; so people can read my dismal ramblings easier.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

I agree with the OP. I love new housing items, but I just don't have space for them. It's a little disappointing.

I would pay a lot of TP for housing features and expansions, as I know many others would too (though I would implore Turbine to offer an extra bit for free to VIPs to add more incentive to subscriptions).

The Moria revamp was done in-between major release targets, so I don't see why such "downtime" cannot be spent on getting a housing revamp started. It could be done piecemeal. Add a basement for 1000 TP, add an attic for 1000 TP, add an extension for 1000 TP. Revamp the chests to make them like shared storage, and then tack on a few extra slots for more TP. Then add a ton of Store exclusive items.

Each of those could be done in stages.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 105 - Brandywine - Leader of Keepers of the Palantiri

Quote Originally Posted by Belnavar View Post
    The Moria revamp was done in-between major release targets, so I don't see why such "downtime" cannot be spent on getting a housing revamp started. It could be done piecemeal. Add a basement for 1000 TP, add an attic for 1000 TP, add an extension for 1000 TP. Revamp the chests to make them like shared storage, and then tack on a few extra slots for more TP. Then add a ton of Store exclusive items.

Each of those could be done in stages.

-Bel
    I'm not opposed to the idea, but comparing a housing revamp to the Moria one is slightly off. The Moria revamp benefits everyone, questing in that zone is pretty much mandatory and the changes were near all beneficial. With Housing there is a no small amount of people who couldn't give a fig about it, and they wouldn't be very pleased if dev resources were diverted to a niche aspect when they could have otherwise been put elsewhere.

Again though, I do like the idea of incremental changes. That seems rather more feasible to me than one huge overhaul. Correct me if I'm wrong however, but isn't the most common criticism of LOTRO's Housing system that the hooks are too sparse and restrictive, rather than the space?

I mean you can't even put chairs by tables.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#ffffff]Morlenil Barkolomew Turmuz Shurz Gruubluk

Posting in white; so people can read my dismal ramblings easier.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Maybe I'm just overestimating the size of the development team but why can't they spare a few people to work on things? Give the project to a few members of the team. I'm sure they might need to collaborate with some systems people or whoever sometimes but we should not get excuses for improving existing content because of limited resources. Are there like 5 people working there? If they are stretched so thin, it might be time to hire some more developers. I don't want to be a complainer because I love this game but Turbine has a history in LOTRO off not finishing what they started for a LONG time. They revamped some of the early zones but stopped for now. Trollshaws and North Downs could use a revamp bad. Moria got half revamped but again they stopped for now. Housing needs a revamping. Fishing is the only hobby we've had since hobbies were introduced! Kinship management could use a revamp. Revamp doesn't mean scrap it and start over, just improve on what we already have.

I'm not a developer so maybe I'm not aware of how much work revamping old regions, revamping housing or adding new hobbies really is. But in the past, the updates had something for everybody. There was fluff, end game content, crafting, etc. Lately it seems like end game content has been the focus. You'd keep players long term if getting to end game was more enjoyable. I've done it on 4 characters. I wouldn't do it again even if they added a new class. At least not in the game's current state. I'm sure Turbine see's the data. Where is the leveling "wall" that people seem to hit? Fixing Evendim was nice but keep going! Maybe having a new expansion every year is too ambitious and they need to make it every 18-24 months or expand the expansion dev team so they can still make expansions each year and still add lots of fluff content and revamp old systems in between. Obviously right now is different, 7 weeks till Rohan's launch means everyone needs to focus on that. This was an observation for the future.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]Sarik - Warleader [/COLOR][COLOR=#339966][COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Jacin - Champion [COLOR=SeaGreen]//[/COLOR] [COLOR=Green]Aiden - Minstrel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Be careful what you wish for. If they revamp housing I bet my account it will be worse for VIP players compared to current housing. In every neighborhood will be Turbine-home-depot and while the revamp may allow you to build house exactly like you wanted, the tools and materials to build it will cost thousands of TP...
    Farewell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyrion View Post
    Again though, I do like the idea of incremental changes. That seems rather more feasible to me than one huge overhaul. Correct me if I'm wrong however, but isn't the most common criticism of LOTRO's Housing system that the hooks are too sparse and restrictive, rather than the space?

I mean you can't even put chairs by tables.
    This is my main complaint with the housing system we have now. I honestly don't know if this would demand a large-scale "revamp" or not, but if they modified object placement to work better than the current "hook" system, I wld be 100% happier with housing.

I used to place Phantasy Star Universe, a Japanese MMO that also had a housing system. The way you placed objects in your "house" (apartment, really) worked pretty well: you toggled on the decoration mode as you do in LOTRO, but instead of object hooks, the entire floor had a grid on which you could place objects pretty much anywhere, as long as it fit to the space increments on the grid. The walls had their own grids in which you could place pictures, etc. And there was a limit on how many objects you could display in your space; you were allotted a certain number of points, and the larger or more elaborate an object was, the more points it used.

I completely understand why we ought to have limits on how many objects we can display in our homes (although I think we shuld have place for a little more, especially outside), but why CAN'T we put chairs next to tables?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140000000fb565/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

As far as I can remember when the devs were asked about the hooks a few years ago they said there were technical limitations to removing them. I'm sure this still applies today.

There are two solutions I can think of:

1. Develop the tech and remove hooks. [harder solution]

2. Keep the hook system, but add more space, which means more hooks and more decorations. [easier solution]

Ideally we would have both, but I am content to see any kind of upgrade at all.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 105 - Brandywine - Leader of Keepers of the Palantiri

they don't even have to really do any work at all. I would be happy with giving us cosmetic versions of houses already in the game. Whats that, i can buy a version of the last homly house for 20 bucks...HERE TAKE MAH MONEYZ PLEASE!! what you just released a version of the prancing pony i can decorate and live in....here turbine HAVE MORE OF MY MONEY!!!!! i can have my own tower of orthanc......I KNOW I HAVE MORE MONEY HERE SOMEWHERE!!!

Post Moria, Mirkwood, and RoR Housing

due to the large world, housing needs to be redone. First off, I want a deluxe house and cant get one even though those who havent played in a long time have the house locked to their account, this is not right and needs to be fixed. Second, so much space is wated in the houses and I should be able to use every square inch of the house. I should be able to put tables together, bok shelfs back to back, whatever, its my house. Third, We have sets of armor and items in vault that are of sentimental value, I should be able to put them on display like suits of medievil armor in my house simlar to the clothing dummies you see all over the place, the scripting is done, just have to modify it a little, then I can get all of the stuff out of my chests. Fourth, with each expansion, add ons to houses should be available, more rooms, more chests, I should be able to store things in my cabinets, on shelfs, put food I make on the tables, ect. This should be available and will aleaviate space issues. Yes that means alot more space but you will have to go to your home every time to get it. Otherwise a dresser is worthless, only for show sad face. Lastly, With each expantion should be a new neiborhood, or with the purchase of a home in the exisiting neiborhoods be able to choose constuction syles like Rohan constuction ect. Just a few ideas worth looking into, hope you like them.

Not sure if anyone here remembers AC but I do, and their housing was much better in alot of ways. You could hang things outside of your houses, on the house. Like Christmas lights. You could take your favorite weapon and hang it in your house. There were flags you could make, then hang from the top of your house. It seems there were alot more hooks to use, or my memory is failing me, but I don't think so. Most quests had some awesome housing items. They were things you would actually go back after with other characters cause they were so cool. Give me more goodies for housing and I will spend TP's all day long. It also seemed that things were more colorful in AC for the housing. I will admit the last 2 festivals did have some cute stuff. But...some of it you could carry, but not use as a housing item, why could they not be used for both? Think of how nice it would be to have a basket of apples on the table. Or some food. I could go on for days but these are a few of the things I would like to see.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0120300000011c3ee/01006/signature.png]Amella[/charsig]

At this point in time, given the arguments above for choices between housing revamp/new areas, I'd be happy to settle for a house item storage where I can just put all my stuff, at present I'm having to use an alt vault for it!
    Blaize, Ellorien, Melica, Rhedyn, Finriel, Aerynna, Merywen, Faelarth, and Tathriel, wandering the shores of Middle Earth.

As far as I can remember when the devs were asked about the hooks a few years ago they said there were technical limitations to removing them. I'm sure this still applies today.

There are two solutions I can think of:

2. Keep the hook system, but add more space, which means more hooks and more decorations. [easier solution]

Ideally we would have both, but I am content to see any kind of upgrade at all.

-Bel
    Scarycrow talks about adding housing hooks.

Based on that post, my suspicion is that there isn't really a standard, deluxe, or kinship house template. It sounds like each house in a neighborhood is its own unique thing, so updating something in a standard house requires updating every instance of a standard house in all of the racial neighborhoods. So, the second option may be easier, but it's still a lot of work - each new hook would have to be placed in all of the houses individually, and then tested individually. It doesn't really sound like the system as is, is set up for easy extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyrion View Post
    ... "Would you give up a new region, or new instances for a Housing revamp?" ...
    If that is really a question they must be short on money indeed and/or create the best housing ever if they put in all the money that is required for a new expansion into housing, all the designers, developers, graphic artists, musicians and so on.

Really, creating a good housing system is nothing impossible.

And as answer to your original question: yes. I can wait for expansions, I have enough chars to level, but the housing stinks.

The hard thing about a system with freely placeable items is the collision detection, items must not "vanish" into walls, so the player can't click them anymore.
    Adding commands for roate/roll/pitch/move up/down/left/right/forward/back is not the big problem.
    At the moment a hook has a object and a paramter (rotation or height). It would have to be changed. A list of objects in the house would have a position (3 values) and 3 angles.

housing is not a massive problem even if turbine make a new class in another 2 years they will ask for another one and so on but i do think they should make more space

I want to live in a tree. I've got an Elf. What are the chances of that happening? ZER0.
    I also have a Ranger and want to rent a room at the pony to live. NEVER GOING TOHAPPEN.

Quote Originally Posted by rededdi View Post
    Not sure if anyone here remembers AC but I do, and their housing was much better in alot of ways. You could hang things outside of your houses, on the house. Like Christmas lights. You could take your favorite weapon and hang it in your house. There were flags you could make, then hang from the top of your house. It seems there were alot more hooks to use, or my memory is failing me, but I don't think so. Most quests had some awesome housing items. They were things you would actually go back after with other characters cause they were so cool. Give me more goodies for housing and I will spend TP's all day long. It also seemed that things were more colorful in AC for the housing. I will admit the last 2 festivals did have some cute stuff. But...some of it you could carry, but not use as a housing item, why could they not be used for both? Think of how nice it would be to have a basket of apples on the table. Or some food. I could go on for days but these are a few of the things I would like to see.
    If you want to see how house decorating should be in mmo's then check this video out ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAIkTmguAwU

You might want to skip to 1:15:00 for the actual decorating part, there's about an hour of him exploring other peoples houses before he gets down to the interesting stuff.
    [I][URL="http://www.swgrp.co.uk/main/socks/"]Wet Socks & Two Smoking Hobits: the mad ramblings of Handee Pokits[/URL][/I]

anything would be nice, hookless, more hooks, additions to houses, extra storage for houses, letting bound to char items storable in the chests. anything please anything
    [U][COLOR=#0000ff][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000ace34/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig][/COLOR][/U]

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Edrogar View Post
    If you want to see how house decorating should be in mmo's then check this video out ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAIkTmguAwU

You might want to skip to 1:15:00 for the actual decorating part, there's about an hour of him exploring other peoples houses before he gets down to the interesting stuff.
    That almost makes me want to play Star Wars... almost. Wow we really need something like that here, it's perfect for our community.
    [CENTER][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000000d9ae0/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "I’m a salesman, not a warrior. What do I know about fighting?”[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by moebius92 View Post
    Scarycrow talks about adding housing hooks.

Based on that post, my suspicion is that there isn't really a standard, deluxe, or kinship house template. It sounds like each house in a neighborhood is its own unique thing, so updating something in a standard house requires updating every instance of a standard house in all of the racial neighborhoods. So, the second option may be easier, but it's still a lot of work - each new hook would have to be placed in all of the houses individually, and then tested individually. It doesn't really sound like the system as is, is set up for easy extensions.

They shoudynt revamp they should make new house system in new arena Endeweith/Mirkwood/
    For god Sake we are in Rohan now we left Bree Evendim and other nice places we going to war we want to move out !
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000000f8048/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Neumi View Post
    If that is really a question they must be short on money indeed and/or create the best housing ever if they put in all the money that is required for a new expansion into housing, all the designers, developers, graphic artists, musicians and so on.

Really, creating a good housing system is nothing impossible.

And as answer to your original question: yes. I can wait for expansions, I have enough chars to level, but the housing stinks.
    Here's the catch to creating a "good housing system", the current one is good enough. There in lies the issue, its not horrible, its not wonderful either but it functions well enough. So we come to that point, do we fix something that isnt broken? People can proclaim housing is broken, but it truly isnt. Now if some of the furniture didnt fit in the slots, yes that would be broken.

Personally i think the better arguing point would be new housing, not reworking the old houses. You'll now have a warhorse and you should have the option to have a house in Rohan to support it. the same housing model is fine, increase the "hooks" maybe but im not seeing many new suggestions for housing at all.

More hooks, more storage, more availablity. Not seeing anything really dynamic or meaningful (personal workshops, stables, or events) being suggested that would add to what already exsists. A comparisson to STOR is about it.