We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Scorched Carapaces

Ok, I have to wonder something... A couple of things, really.

First, why are the Steam-Scorched Carapaces we need for the L45 class quests not available for sale on the AH or at the Skirmish camp? Every other class can buy these things if they haven't finished the quest line letting them cross to the east side of Angmar, why are Captains singled out in this way? I mean, these items cannot be farmed by another character, because you have to have the quest, so the Captain is getting screwed twice over.

Second, why are there no Norbogs in the western areas indicated by the quest tracker? I scoured that area for four hours tonight and didn't see even ONE norbog.

Pretty frustrated right now...

R.I.P NIDOR of Brandywine Server(1970-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamo View Post

First, why are the Steam-Scorched Carapaces we need for the L45 class quests not available for sale on the AH or at the Skirmish camp? Every other class can buy these things if they haven't finished the quest line letting them cross to the east side of Angmar, why are Captains singled out in this way? I mean, these items cannot be farmed by another character, because you have to have the quest, so the Captain is getting screwed twice over.

Second, why are there no Norbogs in the western areas indicated by the quest tracker? I scoured that area for four hours tonight and didn't see even ONE norbog.

If you're talking about the very first set of items in those quest lines, no classes can buy those items anywhere. As you already pointed out, everyone has to have the quest and kill the correct mobs to get those items.

For reference: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Class_Quest_Drops Everything listed in the column under "1st set" must be obtained by killing the mobs. They cannot be purchased.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    7 Haven Way, Tund Loriel, Falathlorn Homesteads
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

yup gotta kill mobs for the first set of quests. <3
    Kraken, Thesungodra

Not so, all my other characters got those items, either by farming them on other characters or by buying them from the AH or skirmish vendor - both the first and second sets (grisly bat talons, hateful worm eyes, rotted barghest paws and so on).

So far, only the Captain has encountered something that cannot be otherwise acquired.

Not so, all my other characters got those items, either by farming them on other characters or by buying them from the AH or skirmish vendor - both the first and second sets (grisly bat talons, hateful worm eyes, rotted barghest paws and so on).

So far, only the Captain has encountered something that cannot be otherwise acquired.
    Show me screenshots of those first set of items on a skirmish camp barterer or on the AH.
    [COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Red]Ayrolen[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrange]Anikosi[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Anfribur[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Ametrine[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Amari[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Ayaneth[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Red]Asparagus[/COLOR]-[COLOR=SandyBrown]Anayalos[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Yellow]Alyradal[/COLOR]-[COLOR=Lime]Aloe[/COLOR]-[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Asiago[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]-[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Altanoin[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=Silver][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
    [COLOR=White]Elendilmir[/COLOR] Arda Shrugged -[COLOR=White]Crickhollow[/COLOR] The Colonists[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

First set is definitely farm yourself for all classes. I've done it on cappy, warden, hunter, rk, lm, mini, champ

class quests:

1. Kill boss in angmar/forochel/misty mountains/eregion, farm x items in angmar/forochel/mistymountains/eregion
    2. collect class trophies from mobs
    3. collect class trophies from bosses in CD/uru

for EVERY class

Like other people have said, all classes need to get the first set of quest items by themselves, but depending on which items they need they may not need to go into Eastern Angmar to do so.

As for Norbogs in the western areas, I did manage to find ONE such (a Rare Signature IIRC) when I went through there recently, but it is really not worth the time to search those areas. Better to finish the Epic quests letting you move into eastern Angmar, where there are plenty of norbogs.

Ah, as I look back over it I see you're right. Snowreap Knives and such. However, they're at least accessible. The stuff on the other side of Angmar is not, and so my point remains. None of the other classes are left unable to reach these things the way the Captain is.

In any case, I suppose I'll just have to do the story quests to let me past the statues. I hate breaking the chain of the story, but they've kind of forced us into it. Always been this way, I suppose.

Ah, as I look back over it I see you're right. Snowreap Knives and such. However, they're at least accessible. The stuff on the other side of Angmar is not, and so my point remains. None of the other classes are left unable to reach these things the way the Captain is.

In any case, I suppose I'll just have to do the story quests to let me past the statues. I hate breaking the chain of the story, but they've kind of forced us into it. Always been this way, I suppose.
    There used to be Nerbyg on the West side of Angmar, but that area got a revamp a few years ago and they were moved to the East side. The class quests were probably an oversight and were never corrected to make it easier on those who haven't worked on the epic storyline. I remember killing orange Nerbyg with my Captain on the East side last year, trying to complete it, while trying to avoid red worms.
    [/SIZE]

Thumbs down

If this is true, then this needs to be fixed. You should not be required to have completed the book quest to get to the area you need for your class quest. Put those critters back on the west side.

I think you can get a store port to east Angmar - it's not hard locked, if you can port there, you can go kill stuff.

That includes hunter ports, and being able to swift horse there.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Thumbs down

...and? The answer being use the LotRO Store to get your quest finished? Find someone to port you there? You should be able to complete these parts alone.

Quote Originally Posted by -LoNgHiLL- View Post
    ...and? The answer being use the LotRO Store to get your quest finished? Find someone to port you there? You should be able to complete these parts alone.
    Or you can stop QQing and do the epics.

It's also the Angmar Wall of Doom - be thankful Turbine didn't hard lock Easter Angamr from you.
    Last edited by Almagnus1; Sep 01 2012 at 01:22 PM.

i did this quest w/o having done the quests to get to other side of angmar

what i did was had a hunter track the norbogs, then i would see them on my mini map. and send my pet after it. worked up to 110meters, also, there is 4-5 different spawn locations of the norbogs that are reachable w/o dying to the dread/fear effect.

use herald to pull the norbogs from other side, then set to follow, and he will bring them back to you. worked just fine for me. good way to get out of having to do the stupid quests, in a pointless area.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Or you can stop QQing and do the epics.
    ...oh? Why? Why should epic quests be a prerequisite to complete class quests for a captain?

Quote Originally Posted by -LoNgHiLL- View Post
    ...oh? Why? Why should epic quests be a prerequisite to complete class quests for a captain?
    They aren't a prereq... find a hunter (or buy a store port) and you're in east Angmar - OR you can do the Epics.

Plus I would think getting full access to the zone would be enough incentive to do them anyhow.

Actually, it never occurred to me to have a hunter beam me over there...

Actually, it never occurred to me to have a hunter beam me over there...
    Or a Captain. I had a Captain muster me to Gath Forthnir once, well before I had access to East Angmar.
    [/SIZE]