We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Healing advice

Healing advice

Hellow fellow healing captains.

I have an issue healing with my captain 3 man or better should be say understand the cpt healing style. I have ministrel lvl 75 and maybe I just stick on that style.

I had read stuff about healing, about legacies etc. But in instance the main issue for me is that it seams that I have just 1 healing spell - Word of Courage. Healing myself is just about traited Muster Courage? For Rallying Cry I need defence response but it's not predictible. I know that captains are not a main healers, but I like his gameplay. Melle on target with nice buffs, lore wise too.

My group of friends are guardian, champion & me and we just try some 3 mans. Need to know that all of us are really casual players with not that good gear. Last time when we do RoI 3 man I just change to minstrel and instance going well. With captain I had an issues.

But mainly I want to ask for advice if I can go to RoR with captain, develop him and we can have a success ? I don't have big issue with minstrel just captain lore wise and game play wise is better for me. I like it more.

Thanks

First of all, you have more healing skills: Inspire and Valiant Strike.
    Plus, try to use Revealing Mark and all of you should attack the marked target, while the guards holds the aggro on everything.
    I don't know anything about RoI instance because I didn't reach that level yet, so the strength of the mobs is unknown to me. But I believe that using a 15% of the damage as morale restore and the 2 skills in addition to Rallying Cry and Words of Courage should cover your healing needs on top of what the guard and champ have in their own arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahin View Post

But mainly I want to ask for advice if I can go to RoR with captain, develop him and we can have a success ? I don't have big issue with minstrel just captain lore wise and game play wise is better for me. I like it more.

Thanks
    Rohan will be good to cappy healing. Valiant strike will get a significant buff, Words of courage can be boosted. And the armor set for Hands of healing has a good set bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahin View Post
    Hellow fellow healing captains.

I have an issue healing with my captain 3 man or better should be say understand the cpt healing style. I have ministrel lvl 75 and maybe I just stick on that style.

I had read stuff about healing, about legacies etc. But in instance the main issue for me is that it seams that I have just 1 healing spell - Word of Courage. Healing myself is just about traited Muster Courage? For Rallying Cry I need defence response but it's not predictible. I know that captains are not a main healers, but I like his gameplay. Melle on target with nice buffs, lore wise too.

My group of friends are guardian, champion & me and we just try some 3 mans. Need to know that all of us are really casual players with not that good gear. Last time when we do RoI 3 man I just change to minstrel and instance going well. With captain I had an issues.
    Captains can in general heal 3 mans well.

Some thoughts:
    1) for healing, your tools include a mixture of:
    Word of Courage
    Rallying Cry
    Revealing Mark
    Valiant strike
    Inspire (heals fellow with Fellowship Brother)
    Muster Courage (self, if traited)
    Man Heal (self, if traited)
    Last Stand (with defiance, small heal on end)
    Pots
    I also really like:
    Martyr's jewelry set (bubble + self heal)

2) Some of "healing" is a team effort. The Guard should keep the aggro, the Champ should not be taking much damage. The Guard should get decent "tanking" equipment/traits/relics/etc. If Guardian is sturdy (nice BPE, nice mitigations) and has good incoming healing in addition, your job is much much easier. If the Guard is fragile and the Champ keeps pulling aggro, your job gets much harder.

3) Casual may work somewhat for Captain healing. But really, you need a reasonable healing emblem. Captains get a good part of their healing punch from their emblem, and one with maxed outgoing healing, vocal heals, RC cooldown, RC heals (+ other goodies) is pretty important. If you are OK with swap emblems, put healing from SOW on a swap, if not, that is needed on your main emblem as well.

4) As you note that Rallying cry requires a defeat response. But those generally come pretty regularly. You can help them along by increasing your crit rating as high as reasonable. And remember, you can get a Rallying Cry on demand with Time of Need to generate a defeat response. And you can put those 2 TON legacies on a swap emblem as well...

5. Quote Originally Posted by DelgonTheWise View Post
    Captains can in general heal 3 mans well.

Some thoughts:
    1) for healing, your tools include a mixture of:
    Word of Courage
    Rallying Cry
    Revealing Mark
    Valiant strike
    Inspire (heals fellow with Fellowship Brother)
    Muster Courage (self, if traited)
    Man Heal (self, if traited)
    Last Stand (with defiance, small heal on end)
    Pots
    I also really like:
    Martyr's jewelry set (bubble + self heal)

2) Some of "healing" is a team effort. The Guard should keep the aggro, the Champ should not be taking much damage. The Guard should get decent "tanking" equipment/traits/relics/etc. If Guardian is sturdy (nice BPE, nice mitigations) and has good incoming healing in addition, your job is much much easier. If the Guard is fragile and the Champ keeps pulling aggro, your job gets much harder.

3) Casual may work somewhat for Captain healing. But really, you need a reasonable healing emblem. Captains get a good part of their healing punch from their emblem, and one with maxed outgoing healing, vocal heals, RC cooldown, RC heals (+ other goodies) is pretty important. If you are OK with swap emblems, put healing from SOW on a swap, if not, that is needed on your main emblem as well.

4) As you note that Rallying cry requires a defeat response. But those generally come pretty regularly. You can help them along by increasing your crit rating as high as reasonable. And remember, you can get a Rallying Cry on demand with Time of Need to generate a defeat response. And you can put those 2 TON legacies on a swap emblem as well...
    Good advice and +1 rep. Another part of your healing that you might consider is bubbles. SoD if you trait it. And, periodically, IHW. If the tank is going south of 50%, I like to pop IHW to "share" the damage and get him back up to a full bar.

But the real key to captain healing is for everybody to do their job. If the champ is regularly getting aggro or the tank is readily losing it, then your healing will not be sufficient, particularly in boss fights.

(edit: whoops, no rep for you Delgon: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DelgonTheWise again.")
    Last edited by seyahat; Aug 30 2012 at 09:17 AM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

Thanks a lot for all your nice comment. I need to go practice a litle bit more.

7. for a dedicated healing emblem, I use:

Rally cry cooldown (a must for any emblem)
    Melee heal
    Vocal heal
    SoD cooldown
    Rally Cry Heal

I would like to switch out rally cry heal for shield brother heal and probably will after the update.

Incidentally, this is also what I use on the Moors. I am a big fan of SoD and am shocked when Captains don't have it traited for Moors grouping.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000033326e/01008/signature.png]doronor[/charsig]

I find the biggest boost to be the Strength of Will legacy on your [swap] Emblem. +20% healing is a substantial boost. I guess this is getting a 5% nerf in RoR but the benefits we're getting definitely justify it.

Beyond this, keep up Inspire and don't forget about Valiant Strike (I do this all the time). Also keep fear off the tank if you can. The fear dot on the first boss in Dargnark(sp?) is pretty tough and he reapplies it often.

Also helpful is to make sure you only have to be healing one person. Many of your heals apply (at least a little) to the group but you can only Brother one person which is a big part of healing.

Just echoing what the others have said:

Get might to above 2k - this will help push your outgoing healing to a base of 45% or so, allowing you to add additional tactical mastery and might to push it even higher.

Getting Crit to a Tactical Crit rating of 20% will help with the heals, because we do so many HoTs, and each HoT tick has a chance to crit. I much prefer Renewed Voice + Expert Attacks as the two non-HoH traits when I do heal, helps a fair amount.

And getting a dedicated healing emblem is crucial.

Gearwise, Draigoch gear works really well for a HoH build, so while some of the Menestaid set is nice, it's not really required.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

10. If you pvp, the three piece perseverance gear is overpowered for a three piece set.