We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What is the purpose of housing?

I have never had a house in this game. I keep getting trophy items that I'd like to display, so I'm interested in getting a house for that purpose but I can't figure out any other benefit to it. Any advice is welcome.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001d699c/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Storage is the biggest, next would be the benefit of the discount to the housing area vendors that sell just about everything, including crafting supplies. Next benefit would be a quick port to one of the starting areas, I admit that I have found this more advantageous at early levels then at the higher levels, but then again I am an alt-a-holic...
    Igie/Aridel/Dorimor/Arrion/Rivver/Aridon/Serenety/Leeloominai/Ultraviolet[COLOR=Red]
    [/COLOR]

There really is no great reason for the housing atm and never has been, it has been very neglected since it was introduced and needs a complete overhaul imo, even the storage isnt that great as it will not accept bound items and the discount is negligable. I hope they do get around to improving it but there are far more important things to sort out first I guess...

Storage is great if you have alts; you could use shared storage instead but that requires a chunk of TP. Plus the housing storage permissions can allow friends or other accounts to have access. Also you get the extra travel skill per hour which can be useful if you want to head somewhere to sell stuff and use the vaults or buy potions; sure you can spend TP here too to reduce travel cooldowns. It's a place to put your trophies. It's also a place to meet (RP or kinship parties). If you don't like any of that then you don't need a house. It's pretty cheap overall.

Really I think the only thing wrong with it is how you can lay out your decorations. I really don't see what all the fuss is about this housing being so awful, but I never played a game with housing before that didn't have some other bad problems (ie, build houses anywhere and make a mess, have all NPC and crafting services in guild house so that towns get depopulated, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    Really I think the only thing wrong with it is how you can lay out your decorations. I really don't see what all the fuss is about this housing being so awful, but I never played a game with housing before that didn't have some other bad problems (ie, build houses anywhere and make a mess, have all NPC and crafting services in guild house so that towns get depopulated, etc).
    One of the better implementations I have seen for player housing was in Everquest2. In it, instead of multiple copies of a central housing homestead, your housing was house doors spread throughout the major towns with each door being able to enter multiple instances of that house location (similar to the multiple neighborhoods we have now for each homestead). By having the housing be instances within the major towns, it avoided the suburban ghost towns in other games and depopulation of the major towns.

Outside decorations was handled with a backyard/courtyard within the individual house. The truly nice aspect was that you could place your storage chests and decorations anywhere within the house which led to some truly spectacular arrangements. Players were encouraged to go view each others' houses since the house storage was used as part of the auction system and folks could avoid some of the auction house's fee by going to the player's house and buying the item directly from their chest.

I think the limitation on how many decorations and where in the house/yard you can place them is the biggest complaint for lotro housing. If they eased those restrictions, you would see lot more happy house owners who are perfectly content to show off their decorating skills even if they got no other benefit from the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Shardis View Post
    One of the better implementations I have seen for player housing was in Everquest2. In it, instead of multiple copies of a central housing homestead, your housing was house doors spread throughout the major towns with each door being able to enter multiple instances of that house location
    Yes that's a great idea, and I've advocated something like that. All those intriguing doors around the Shire and Bree and Celondim and Thorin's Hall. But now, we're shoved off into gated communities... But it would mean starting over from scratch here. And that would mean that it gets left along for another 4 years :-)

However this isn't really a "feature" per se, you're left back at the start with the original question, "what is the purpose of housing?" Whenever a lot of people point to features of other games that they wish housing had in this game they tend to have problems; like building anywhere, providing buffs to kin members, putting town services in local in neighborhoods, etc.

What houses have here is what was intended; basic spot to put your stuff, a place to meet with friends, a place to role play, a place to have events. Of course players who don't care much for that stuff want the gameplay advantages to it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyMilkweed View Post
    I have never had a house in this game. I keep getting trophy items that I'd like to display, so I'm interested in getting a house for that purpose but I can't figure out any other benefit to it. Any advice is welcome.
    Eventually, if you play long enough, you will have so much money you won't know what to do with it, so you'll buy a deluxe house. You'll put your trophies up and maybe a few other items. Then you'll you'll realize that with all the limitation, housing is kinda pointless and you'll never go there again.

Seriously, though, as noted, a house is the only way to expand storage past 120 slots without paying Turbine points. Plus is sharable (although not technically "shared storage," since you can't use it to transfer bound-to-account items).

A good purpose

Within the few replies here I see thoughts that housing has not much purpose for some. Those are the players, I suspect, that stay mostly to themselves and play solo. They are not using the housing to its potential. I have managed to accomplish something great with housing:
    On Brandywine I and 6 others managed to obtain 11 houses in a single instance: 4 kinship houses and 7 deluxe houses. The main kinship storage we try to keep open for easy transfer of items form member to member. A second kinship secures our ore in its 3 chests. The third kinship house..nothing but ingots. Our last kinship house is a dressing room holding all kinds of cosmetics; our members outfit a cosmetic slot with their favorite appearals and leave the cosmetics in the chests for others. Hides and leather are stored in a single deluxe house while logs and planks are in another close by. Another deluxe house stores materials to increase crafting crit chances. Combat food is kept in its own house. Potions and gems are stored in a house together. We have 2 empty houses ready to hold supplies we don't know we need yet (one right now is temporarily holding 2 sets of cartographile maps members may come borrow for an easy 10 turbine points). I first wanted this set up in the shire for its pleasing atmosphere but such vacancy was not available on the Brandywine server (nor will be..Brandywine shire has reached its 250 homestead instance cap). Eriadorian Enclave and its supporting kinships are in Thorin's Hall which turned out to be the most efficient place for such housing anyway. Its in a beginner area with the stable master having swift travel to key areas very close to the homestead entrance.
    Kinship leaders maintain 4 of 5 character bank slots for supply overflow storage. When a house gets low on materials we fill it back up from bank vaults. Fifth character bank slots we keep for our personal items.
    How often have you seen chat asking for steel plates..or pale flax fiber..or dwarf iron ingots..or anything? Perhaps you even wished you had something and can't get it because no one else has it to sell at that very moment. Eriadorian Enclave members don't have that trouble..because of housing.
    We're ready to do the same thing on Vilya server. There, however, we may just keep it in the family as a place to occasionaly "get away from it all" (managing such an endeavor is...consuming). Brandywine members fear not..your leaders are never abandoning you

Quote Originally Posted by Ariellyn View Post
    Within the few replies here I see thoughts that housing has not much purpose for some. Those are the players, I suspect, that stay mostly to themselves and play solo. They are not using the housing to its potential. I have managed to accomplish something great with housing:
    After reading your post, it seems like to you, "full potential" for housing means simply using houses as storage chests.

Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    After reading your post, it seems like to you, "full potential" for housing means simply using houses as storage chests.
    Simply? You try doing what I do with only bank space. You will be logging out characters and logging in others constantly. ..And where did you see FULL potential? I purposefuly left out the word "full" as we do other other things with our houses..hide and seeks and scavenger hunts are a couple examples..I provided one example that would be most common and still did not explain the entire process of how these supplies are acquired or distributed so as to keep from the post becomming a novel's length. ...And if "full" potential did mean to me simply using houses as storage chests how I use that storage is still a great idea. I'll wish you well when I see you broadcasting trade wanting to buy 500 lebethron planks to advance crafting..knowing one of my members would just be contacting that play session's Eriadorian Enclave quartermaster on duty and have those planks within minutes.
    Now who is going to be the first to get all technical on me and describe how 500 planks is not the number required for a lebethron teir? 264 planks will do the trick. 500 is the amount of planks we may distribute immediately without having to restock from a bank vault.
    I dislike clarifying myself after another has put a word or words into my mouth when I've spoken plainly because it happens so often. I intend no disrespect; I only state what I dislike (my experience has shown me I must say I intend no disrespect because, again, someone may read "I dislike..." but understand somehow "you bafoon..")
    If I did not say a thing I did not mean for that thing to be understood.
    Now after all that; did you have a question or did you just want me to know you think it seems to me full potential for housing means simply using houses as storage chests?
    My apologies to the OP. We should be discussing your question instead of responding to each other in such ways that lengthen a thread without addressing your query.
    Last edited by Ariellyn; Oct 05 2012 at 07:25 AM.

Simply? You try doing what I do with only bank space.
    Thanks for bolstering my point that for you houses are just storage spaces. Nothing wrong with that, since houses are the only way to get more than 120 spaces without spending points.

Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    Thanks for bolstering my point that for you houses are just storage spaces. Nothing wrong with that, since houses are the only way to get more than 120 spaces without spending points.
    How about quoting the rest of what I said..like the part that indicates I do not just use houses for storage space and even provides examples? You're not making yourself look like a max genius here. I don't say that to try an hurt feelings. I just mean anyone can, after reading you thanking me for bolstering your point of housing being ONLY storage for me, they can see right above that my post saying storage is not the only thing I do with housing. You've made yourself look inacurate and may not want to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by HumphreyMilkweed View Post
    I've always liked to fish in the stream behind my house. It's somehow cathartic, you know, come home after a hard day, grab a brew out of the keg, smoke a pipe, and throw a line into the water. It works in "virtual life" as well as it does in "real life".
    [COLOR="#6666ff"][FONT=Century Gothic]To many people, free will is a license to rebel not against what is unjust or hard in life but against what is best for them and true.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I can't really comment on what the actual purpose of housing is at this point but I can give you my opinion on what I think it should be.

Housing has the ingredients to be a key element in solving a huge dilemma for modern MMO's ever since the first days of Everquest or WoW: To give characters a history within the world.

Back in 2004 I played the living &&&& out of WoW in all aspects the game had to offer. When the first expansion (TBC) hit in 2007 I had played one single character for a solid 2 years. This character had raided up to tier 2.5, proven his mettle under the old honor system, and had been doing 5-mans for "that particular rare drop" for the better part of a couple of IRL months. On January 16, 2007 all this was void. Erased by an expansion system that didn't allow for a character to have a history.

In fact TBC was a solid follow-up and I played it quite a bit but I could never look past that initial traumatic experience. Logically it all made sence because as a developer you just can't continue to tell a story and expect new players to work all the way through the ranks to achieve the required gear level (or can you?). But then again, there was just waaaay too much commitment invested and I called it a day in early March that year and never looked back.

Certainly it didn't help that my long-time guild had disbanded in late 2006 so that I went guildless and without real purpose into the expansion but had there been a proper housing system in place that would have allowed me to showcase the old "deeds" of this character, I'd eventually be paying subscription fees even today.

I'm imagining display racks for outdated weapons that you once held dear, or boss keepsakes (I believe LotRO has some of these from what I could gather) that would hold the date when they were acquired. After that it would simply be a matter of adjusting loot tables slightly with each expansion. At that point I couldn't care less if I'd have to do it "all over again" with each new expansion or if encounters get nerfed in the process.

You'd think that, surely, even the most superficial of publishers must understand that allowing characters to have a history will make it so much harder for a player to cancel their subscription and abandon all that.
    Last edited by Scoff; Oct 06 2012 at 04:09 PM.

That was one of the reasons that let me fall in love with SWG. Housing, character history. Player cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Vehoc View Post
    Player cities.
    Player cities have been pretty bad in other games. They're not designed, they just grow up like slums with no sense of place in the world.

Back when lotro didn't have shared storage, oning a house was awesome so alts could share items in the chests. Now i use it mostly as a hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post

I'm imagining display racks for outdated weapons that you once held dear, or boss keepsakes (I believe LotRO has some of these from what I could gather) that would hold the date when they were acquired. After that it would simply be a matter of adjusting loot tables slightly with each expansion. At that point I couldn't care less if I'd have to do it "all over again" with each new expansion or if encounters get nerfed in the process.

You'd think that, surely, even the most superficial of publishers must understand that allowing characters to have a history will make it so much harder for a player to cancel their subscription and abandon all that.

I felt the same with TBC and I quit for the same reasons. I did however come back with Wrath but not for Cataclysm. I kept in my bank slot a few items of note such as my hunter epic bow I got completing some amazing quest in vanilla, and sometimes I would pull it out to display in Orgrimar even though I was 20 levels too high. I also kept the various T1, t2 and t3 sets and I agree, I wish I could have displayed this somewhere on a manequin, like in Skyrim, alongside Onyxia's head.

How about quoting the rest of what I said..like the part that indicates I do not just use houses for storage space and even provides examples? You're not making yourself look like a max genius here. I don't say that to try an hurt feelings. I just mean anyone can, after reading you thanking me for bolstering your point of housing being ONLY storage for me, they can see right above that my post saying storage is not the only thing I do with housing. You've made yourself look inacurate and may not want to do so.
    I saw the lengthy explanation about 500 planks of lebethron, broadcasting in /trade, hide-and-seek (not sure how you play hide and seek in a LotRO house), etc. Further, your post was poorly formatted and therefore hard to read. And followed with an apology to the OP for doing what you had just done, as if you had no choice but to reply.

You seem mighty defensive about the whole affair.