We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A little help with traits if you don't mind.

I've not been playing the game very long, but I've already more or less figured out the trait system. Alas, I still can't determine which traits for the Hunter are a necessity compared to the rest. I keep hearing about Strong Draw, but a lot of other Hunts have said that it's nearly completely useless after some nerf. So could some of you more experienced Hunts give me a run down on what traits are best?

I suck at the names of traits, but I would see the trait that gives Focus on a crit and the trait that boosts Pen Shot and Blood Arrow damage by 10% as must-haves. Cooldown on Needful Haste is also a really good one, especially when combined with the legacy to increase the duration.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Do a search for "hunter builds" on the forums. You'll get some suggestions as to how to set up your traits. It depends a lot on how YOU want to play the character. FWIW, I have my Hunter (elf) set up with:
    Race
    Silvan Shadows
    Tactics and Convictions
    Friend of Man
    Elf Bow-Damage Bonus
    Eldar's Grace
    Class
    Fast Draw
    Hail of Arrows
    Barbed Fury
    True Shot
    Rapid Recovery
    Barbed Hindrance
    Heart of the Bard
    Legendary
    Rain of Thorns
    Press Onward
    Bard's Arrow

If your signature is correct and up to date, then as a level 54 hunter I'd recommend sticking with mostly red-line traiting for solo play and questing until you get to around level 70 or so. For the most part, how you trait won't matter much until you start grouping, and until then you can simply stick with what you're most comfortable with. As you are under level cap, you won't have access to many of the things that make different trait setups perform as well as they do, and you can't really argue with basic red-line burst DPS. Traiting 4 red, 3 blue would probably be appropriate for your level while soloing.

(information for the future below)

However, the current 'industry standard' for level 75 class traiting is majority blue line with two red. This setup is designed to be used in Precision stance, along with the Faron set from ToO and the 5-piece bonus. It's pretty much as good as you can get for overall DPS, both PVE and PVP (some prefer the turn-and-burn setup for PVP, but it's personal preference).

Personally, my class traits are typically: Deadly Precision, Strong Draw, Resolute Aim, Swift Recovery, Intent Concentration (5 blue). True Shot, Critical Eye (2 red). And for legendaries, Improved Fleetness, Rain of Thorns, and Press Onward (multiple other variations by situation, but I typically use those three the most).

Learn to cycle Improved Fleet Stance and Needful Haste into your regular skill rotation, and if you still use that God-awful Hunter's Art skill then simply take it off your quickslots. Blood Arrow and Penetrating Shot will be your most used skills and also learn how to regenerate focus as quickly as possible (proper timing of Swift Bow/Quick Shot/Barbed Arrow) to maximize your DPS and efficiency. You'll also go through a lot of power, so learn to cycle pots, SotE, and Intent Concentration to get the most out of your power and cooldowns.
    Last edited by Kajil; Aug 28 2012 at 03:08 PM.
    [center]RIP Character signature generator, June 2013.[/center]
    [center]Theiol, Fervar, Turthonn, and Vanka, [i]retired LOTRO[/i]|Croue, Folter, [i]Rift - Shatterbone shard[/i][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Kajil View Post
    and if you still use that God-awful Hunter's Art skill then simply take it off your quickslots.
    Don't be too quick to pull it off your bar. After RoR it's going to be an instant skill (no slow animation) with no target needed (usable on self, even out of combat I believe) and will only cost 1 focus (opposed to the current cost of 3 I believe).

If your signature is correct and up to date, then as a level 54 hunter
    LOL I wish I had a 54 Hunt. Nah I'm only lvl 34, thanks for the advice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Edhalas View Post
    LOL I wish I had a 54 Hunt. Nah I'm only lvl 34, thanks for the advice though.
    Er, sorry for the lysdexia there. It won't take you long to get there at any rate, hunter is a fast class to level, particularly solo if you can manage to keep your gear up to date. But, level 34 or 54, information remains the same for the most part when leveling. Trait red and blow all the landscape up with burst dps, and if you run into anything particularly challenging then try placing traps. Get used to using bow chants/fire oils and things like that also. Remember that how you trait directly effects your playstyle and shot rotation as a hunter, also, so be ready to make a drastic change when you hit the 70s, more than likely.
    [center]Theiol, Fervar, Turthonn, and Vanka, [i]retired LOTRO[/i]|Croue, Folter, [i]Rift - Shatterbone shard[/i][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    Don't be too quick to pull it off your bar. After RoR it's going to be an instant skill (no slow animation) with no target needed (usable on self, even out of combat I believe) and will only cost 1 focus (opposed to the current cost of 3 I believe).
    The only bonus I'd use from it personally would be the +5% ranged damage (or whatever number it is), but, even though it does stack even, I'd not consider wanting to stance dance between Strength and Precision for that particular buff, except maybe during initial fight setup or something.

Thank you all for your advice on the traits, and I decided what to do from there. I'm going to red line for PVE, and I'm going 4-yellow 2 red once I hit the moors. But I'm still deliberating over going 5 yellow for the Explosive Arrow Legend trait; not entirely sure it's worth bothering with though.

The only bonus I'd use from it personally would be the +5% ranged damage (or whatever number it is), but, even though it does stack even, I'd not consider wanting to stance dance between Strength and Precision for that particular buff, except maybe during initial fight setup or something.
    10%, stackable twice. I'll probably at the least use it before a fight starts, good chance I'll stance dance enough to keep at least one of them up.

Thank you all for your advice on the traits, and I decided what to do from there. I'm going to red line for PVE, and I'm going 4-yellow 2 red once I hit the moors. But I'm still deliberating over going 5 yellow for the Explosive Arrow Legend trait; not entirely sure it's worth bothering with though.
    You get 7 traits by 75, not 6. Also, 4 yellow is a bad idea and 5 yellow is an even worse one. CC is drastically nerfed in the Moors, that is the last time you want to switch from a damaging to CC role.

Also, make sure you give both red and blue lines a trial for PvE. I prefer blue line for the speed bonuses, I feel too sluggish in red. Meanwhile, other people will go red so they get higher numbers when they do hit, though they hit slower.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    10%, stackable twice. I'll probably at the least use it before a fight starts, good chance I'll stance dance enough to keep at least one of them up.
    Yes, stacks, but still not worth the trouble of stance dancing (especially not in the current condition it's in) IMO.

5 blue, 2 red is the very best you can possibly have for general purpose PVE or PVP at 75. Occasionally, 5 red, 2 blue is better if burst DPS is needed. However, red line traiting never beats blue line for sustained damage, especially in most of the long boss fights in instances now.

DO NOT trait 5 yellow. Don't even trait more than ONE yellow unless you absolutely have to. Especially not in PVP. A hunter's survival is typically based purely on their DPS, the faster you kill it the less chance it has of killing you. That's basically all we have going for us at the moment.