We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New Skills For Hunters

On several different threads i've seen suggestions for new moves. I'd like to organize them into one thread and show you guys what i think are the most promising of others ideas and my own. The reason hunters need new skills is that while we are good, even excellent at solo play we are not deemed necessary or even according to some players, useful in fellowships. Most classes have a primary function, and a secondary. However we as hunters have a rpimary function and than...."crowd control". and not much of it. We are defined as squishy ranged dps. We have very little area of effect. Once targets come within melee distance we are in trouble especially if their are more than one. The way to remedy this is to enhance our dps and add more crowd control while preserving the things that make hunters different from other classes. I understand that all these skills together ona hunter would be impractical and all-powerful. these are suggestions take it or leave it you may only think one has merit.
    1. Explosive Arrow- While already a skill this move should be given a wide area of effect giving us a better chance of taking on mobs. To balance it maybe take some damage off the move and allow it to hit up to 4 targets.
    2. Barbed Arrow- Just a barbed arrow that lasts longer. While this move is one of my favorites in my skill rotation a longer lasting barbed arrow would make it a significantly more useful move.
    3. Trapping- Hunters rely on ambush. Therefore i think our trapping needs to become much more improved to add to our crowd control abilities. While our trapping is good enough for solo play i think i have a solution to fix the communities apathetic nature towards hunters in fellowship play. We should be allowed to set more traps. Not all that immobolize opponents maybe some add effects. Liek sharpened stakes that poision opponents. Or debuff them. By allowing these effects to be given only through traps than we could preserve the nature of the hunters.
    4. Trapping2- We should be allowed to trap during combat. this is what will make us fellowship valuable. During a battle we could move to one side of the map trap an area (debuffs,immbolization,poison) . Than we could alert the tanks who will drag the adds and boss over to the prepared battleground. This would make hunters valuable and give them a secondary role.
    5. A move to restore power. During long battles i've lost power countless times and makes me effeedtively useless in attempting to dps a main with high defenses and health. Similar to how we draw from the earth maybe and this might be astretch when facing a creature of nature we can draw power from them. Or have a benefit from a LMs pet. Nature-friend. I dont know i'm spitballing trying to think of ways to last longer in combat.
    These are some suggestions i think might benefit the hunter in group play and taking on mobs. We need to update our secondary function and i think the ebst way to do that while preservingt the hunter identity would eb to trap signicicantly more.Tell me what you guys think and if you have any suggestions of your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleran12 View Post
    1. Explosive Arrow- While already a skill this move should be given a wide area of effect giving us a better chance of taking on mobs. To balance it maybe take some damage off the move and allow it to hit up to 4 targets.
    We're getting this. On our BA's.

2. Barbed Arrow- Just a barbed arrow that lasts longer. While this move is one of my favorites in my skill rotation a longer lasting barbed arrow would make it a significantly more useful move.
    We used to have a longer bleed, but it would pop wargs out of stealth after they disappeared in Monster Play and that's not fair to them.

3. Trapping- Hunters rely on ambush. Therefore i think our trapping needs to become much more improved to add to our crowd control abilities. While our trapping is good enough for solo play i think i have a solution to fix the communities apathetic nature towards hunters in fellowship play. We should be allowed to set more traps. Not all that immobolize opponents maybe some add effects. Liek sharpened stakes that poision opponents. Or debuff them. By allowing these effects to be given only through traps than we could preserve the nature of the hunters.
    Trapping is a dangerous form of CC because the monster is still active while rooted. CC is also quickly becoming a dinosaur in LOTRO so any enhancements to a suite of skills so rapidly heading toward absolesence isn't something I'd want devs to spend time on.

4. Trapping2- We should be allowed to trap during combat. this is what will make us fellowship valuable. During a battle we could move to one side of the map trap an area (debuffs,immbolization,poison) . Than we could alert the tanks who will drag the adds and boss over to the prepared battleground. This would make hunters valuable and give them a secondary role.
    You can do this now. Either trait In Combat Traps to activate your trap skill in combat or make crafted traps and drop them without needing the trait. Bosses are immunte to CC.

5. A move to restore power. During long battles i've lost power countless times and makes me effeedtively useless in attempting to dps a main with high defenses and health. Similar to how we draw from the earth maybe and this might be astretch when facing a creature of nature we can draw power from them. Or have a benefit from a LMs pet. Nature-friend. I dont know i'm spitballing trying to think of ways to last longer in combat.
    You have 5 skills/traits currently to restore power. Beneath Care, which you get at level 64, gives you a power heal when hitting Beneath Notice, Strength of the Earth, which is a channelled skill that draws power, There's a trait for power restore on Intent Concentration, and an LI legacy to buff it by 13%, there's Press Onward which is a legendary trait and skill that will restore power, and there's Bow of the Righteous legendary trait which will restore power on every bow skill you activate. There's also hunter books and LI Legacies which will provide for power reduction.

I think barbed arrow should be 20 seconds long like it was before and you should be able to stack your own dot like LM burning embers.

Quote Originally Posted by ColorSpecs View Post
    We used to have a longer bleed, but it would pop wargs out of stealth after they disappeared in Monster Play and that's not fair to them.
    loool of course, why should hunters have any dot longer than 10 seconds? i mean it's not like every class out there has one... oh wait maybe they have.... xD

LM's dots last (with LI Legacy) 54 secs,and by personal experience i can assure you they are truly a pain...I wish there was a single legacy which would increase every dot's pulses like the legacy which increases every aoe skill's targets...Do i ask for too much?Just barbed arrow would be good :P(who needs low cut?)

None of this will ever happen because it is universally agreed on by everyone that hunters are not allowed to have nice things. Also, not allowed to have things every other class already has because that's CLEARLY OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajil View Post
    None of this will ever happen because it is universally agreed on by everyone that hunters are not allowed to have nice things. Also, not allowed to have things every other class already has because that's CLEARLY OP.
    Oh,cr@@p,you're right!Please Turbine don't ban me for setting up a Hunter revolution,i didn't know there was such an agreement!I thought you were not paying attention to our suggestions and opinions...
    I'm really sorry,and i hope my fellow forum-users will forgive me.

Joking.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherGr View Post
    Oh,cr@@p,you're right!Please Turbine don't ban me for setting up a Hunter revolution,i didn't know there was such an agreement!I thought you were not paying attention to our suggestions and opinions...
    I'm really sorry,and i hope my fellow forum-users will forgive me.

Joking.
    You are right, this is unacceptable. How DARE you suggest hunters be updated to a point that they are caught up with the other classes!

/sigh.

Also, to the OP, I like the idea of having debuff traps and things rather than simply slow/bleed and root ones. I've always thought that hunter would be a good class to have debuffing for its secondary role, seeing as we're a bit single-minded right now and there's not much flexibility in classes for dedicated debuffing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajil View Post
    I don't think you could have said this any better...