We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Captain Weapon Choices?

So, I've mostly stuck with 2H weapons (i.e. hammers, axes, swords, halberds, etc.) but I recently learned how to use shields and I was wondering if it makes more sense to solo as a Captain with a 1H weapon and a shield or a 2H weapon?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
    -Ben

I've always had trouble with 2H weapons as far as speed is concerned. with 1H weapons your skills execute a lot faster I would rather do a little less damage to be able to execute my skills when I need them to like the healing ones. and also when you get shields you add a whole other layer of defense, blocking.

Do you want to do damage? Always 2H. You can even block with a 2H if traited right.

You can use a 1h + shield for dedicated healing, but other than that 2H is better.
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

Iv always used a 2 handed weapon as a captain. The only time I had trouble with weapon speed was with the Halberd. Not sure if it was the animation on it but I switched to a Greatsword and been fine ever since.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/07206000000006c3a/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Captains lack DPS more than survivability. I recommend a 2hander.

Quote Originally Posted by InF3sTeD View Post
    Iv always used a 2 handed weapon as a captain. The only time I had trouble with weapon speed was with the Halberd. Not sure if it was the animation on it but I switched to a Greatsword and been fine ever since.
    Halberd and greatsword animations execute with the same speed, as of like 2009.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

I use a shield and one-hander for tanking (shield for crit defense), but if I never did that, I'd use a two-hander instead.

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

I see absolute no reason for using 1-hander when soloing.

I use sword and shield sometimes when raiding and doing 6mans if I have to use a lot of skills (1 hander has faster attack speed so you can fire off skills faster), especially if I know I might get to tank a mob or two.

I consider sword and shield to be a "extra set of tools" as in you should get a good 2 hander and a good buffstick first, then you can take a look at a sword and shield build.

Thanks for all the responses! I've got a solid 2H Greatsword for DPS and a great Shield and 1H weapon that's only SLIGHTLY less powerful for when I need to be a bit tanky.

For solo I've done 2 hander and 1 hander with shield although the sword and shield was low level and quite a while back. I do not recommend 1 hander and shield for anything solo. It does have shorter animations but it does not make up for the dps loss which is generally more important for anything solo.

Sword and board definitely has it's uses. I definitely think it's better for tanking. The extra block, crit defense, the ability to choose your passives and the extra armor all come in handy for tanking. I'm sure there are other situations where it might come in handy although tanking is the only thing I use sword and board for on my cappy.

If you would have just taken a quick look over the captain page, you would've noticed that just a few threads down there is another one about the same subject:
    http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...e-for-captains

Quote Originally Posted by Nakiami View Post
    Do you want to do damage? Always 2H. You can even block with a 2H if traited right.

You can use a 1h + shield for dedicated healing, but other than that 2H is better.
    I don't think you can Block without a shield. Maybe you can Parry with a 2H.

Quote Originally Posted by Equaliser View Post
    I don't think you can Block without a shield. Maybe you can Parry with a 2H.
    Take a look at the yellow capstone
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

I always go with a 2h sword, good for dps. 1h sword makes me Ill, stand there, hit, hit, hit...dps goes way down and power cost remains the same, even with the bonues from a shield its not worth it IMO.
    Nerf healing in PvMP and just maybe it will be worth it again.

If you have power issues now, a 1 hander will be worse. 2handers are more efficient on power per damage.

I have been thinking about going 1h/s for healing when ror comes out, however I have tested woc on a dagger and have not been able to notice a difference in speed. What exactly should I be looking for when I test the difference?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Armitas View Post
    I have been thinking about going 1h/s for healing when ror comes out, however I have tested woc on a dagger and have not been able to notice a difference in speed. What exactly should I be looking for when I test the difference?
    I think the logic was faster weapon -> more hits -> more chances to crit -> more on-defeat responses -> more cries fired off -> more healing/buffing; not sure it would have anything to do with the WoC speed at all.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

wasnt all this normalized?

or am i confusing the normalization within two handed weps? i might be thinking of when xbox and bow were normalized...
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Quote Originally Posted by Bezmer View Post
    I think the logic was faster weapon -> more hits -> more chances to crit -> more on-defeat responses -> more cries fired off -> more healing/buffing; not sure it would have anything to do with the WoC speed at all.
    The logic was something like 1Hs finish their attacks sooner (lower attack duration) so you're able to fit more WoCs in between your other attacks on your normal rotation.
    More chances to crit (by doing more attacks) doesn't matter because only crits on certain attacks (gated behind skills with cooldowns) will enable defeat responses.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/tindragon/Base.png[/IMG]
    Steam: Sneakeh Snake[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    The logic was something like 1Hs finish their attacks sooner (lower attack duration) so you're able to fit more WoCs in between your other attacks on your normal rotation.
    More chances to crit (by doing more attacks) doesn't matter because only crits on certain attacks (gated behind skills with cooldowns) will enable defeat responses.
    Well, in one particular setup, my bottleneck is attack speed and not cooldowns. I'm my raid's Command-set Captain, so I'm swapping to the Command armor and hitting Sure Strike several times a minute. When I'm traited MoW for some of the fights, my base armor is 3-Pers/3-Dagor. Before I got the Command set and started armor-swapping, I did have some trouble keeping up my maximum DB/PA per minute (7-8) while also using WoC. After I started mixing in all those Sure-Strikes, which both crowded my rotation and hastened one of my chain-starters Battle Shout off cooldown, I just plain could not achieve maximum DB/PA per minute.

Which is ok, I mean I might just let Battle Shout or Shadow's Lament sit there for a few more seconds while I cast WoC or did whatever else needed doing. In some fights I don't even trait red like that. However, I've wondered about but not acted upon using a 1-hander in Master of War while hot-swapping between 3-Pers/3-Dagor and 5-Command. Surely, I'd heal better as I would be able use some otherwise wasted opportunities at Devasting Blow and perhaps squeeze in more WoC too. But using a 1-hander while traited MoW is crazy. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Omen_Kaizer; Sep 07 2012 at 03:02 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    When I tried this I couldn't see a difference in the amount of WOC's I could get in per cd. I eyeballed it so if it happened I did not notice it. If i'm reading what you're saying right you mean that the heal will occur sooner in the phase?

For example Where H is when in time the heal applies, and each woc has the same period.

Time * * * * * *
    2h----x x x H x x >next WOC
    1h----x x H x x x >next WOC

Is this correct?
    Last edited by Armitas; Sep 07 2012 at 03:34 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000c7eb3/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]