We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Server-wide contest **Confirmed** Wed. Sept. 5th 6 PM PST

Hello Everybody! **UPDATES ARE IN BOLD**
    A contest is set to occur on the 5th of Sept. to give the community something to do in lieu of RoR's launch date being moved. 99% of this is locked in for Sept. 5th - I added a requirement below that gives me pause. Note: it might be dropped if it generates aggro so don't start raging on the forums. Should you have concerns then please do contact myself, Caylia, or Bluet in-game.

What is the contest?
    A KAOS Death Run! Basically a bunch of lowbie characters will form a tight pack and attempt to make a run, as a unit, from Bree to the trolls in front of Isengard. We will use the run from Bree to The Last Bridge to get people accustomed to the running and up to speed about the movement of the pack. If you die you will get a rez at this stage. The survivors of the death march (the more deaths the merrier LOL) will line up in front of the two trolls and en masse ZERG in an effort to be one to either reach or be the closest to the Tower of Orthanc's Base! I think we will clear the space around the trolls so the lowbies shall be [momentarily] safe before they try to make it past the trolls guarding the gate.

Initial details are (bear in mind we will tweak a few things be flexible we're doing this for fun and the prizes are good):
    no mounts - a lvl 15 won't have a mount and besides that gives some of you more survivability and the point is to have a mass casualty event
    participants are limited to less than or equal to level 20
    you may use any class of your choosing
    you may not have a high level friend assist you in any manner whatsoever
    griefers will get reported!
    if you die along the run that's it (we thought about giving people 3 chances but in high level areas you rez back to a safe for your level spot) - you'll be eligible for a consolation prize
    you must stay with the pack - we will have level 75 referees following the group we will practice on the run from Bree to The Last Bridge Thereafter we will give reminders (bear in mind too many reminders might cause a disqualification). we want to avoid one or more persons "gaming" the system by trying to stay behind/avoid risks/using others as aggro shields to increase their odds of survival
    we will likely not stop the group so you can eat/buff/scroll/token (this is likely to change)
    we really frown upon the use of store bought items -.-

**UPDATE**
    What are the prizes - awarded to the top 5 survivors or last 5 to die (depends on the outcome of the race)? Note bold with a * next to one of the items below means it is confirmed as a prize.
    a 3-pack of Draigoch scales (worth several hundred gold)* (donated by Bluet!) **at a minimum you must make it to or past the trolls
    a pair of worn 2nd age symbols* (donated by Chuck!) **at a minimum you must make it 1/2 way into RoI
    a single worn 2nd age symbol* (donated by Caylia!) ** at a minimum you must make it to the through the Bonevales
    4 symbols of the eldar king (65) (donated by Esmariel, Minya, Morthin, Irialeth) **at a minimum you must make it to the far end of Enedwaith
    a set of raid goodies (food/tokens/scrolls/heal & power pots/class items) **no minimum distance required
    2 Tier 7 settings (donated by Caylia!) **no minimum distance required
    2 Cracked Rhi Helvarch Sigils (donated by Irialeth) **no minimum distance required
    2 lvl 75 recipes (book of truth, Jeweled Stud of the brute, and winged necklace)* (courtesy of draigoch raid attendees from 8/24! and Irialeth) **no minimum distance required
    consolation prizes 25 silver/zone you make it into (example if you make it from Trollshaws to Eregion to Enedwaith and then die that's 75 silver)

What's this at a minimum stuff you just added?!?!?!?!?!?
    Well it's reasonable to expect a really good reward for a major achievement. Getting scales for making it to Eregion sort of misses the point. These minimum distance requirements might change - it is a spur of the moment thing intended to make sure people give it their all to try to reach AND pass the trolls.

How will the winners be determined?
    Based on their location - the closer to the tower the better. If we have multiple survivors then we will have them /roll 13 a total of 5 times we'll then create a poker hand (1 = Ace, 2 = 2, 3 = 3,......12 = King) or simply sum the rolls and work our way from there - meaning the best poker hand or highest total is 1st place, etc. etc.

Why are we doing this?
    Well it's a great way to do something outside the box.
    It's supposed to be a fun competition.
    It allows people to do something different.
    AND there are probably a pile of other reasons choose your own and own it!

Please check back this posting will be a work in progress as we finalize the details.

If you need to ask a question then please send an in-game mail to Chuckorn, Caylia, or Bluet as opposed to posting it here we don't want to clog up the thread.

How do you signup for the KAOS Death Run?
    Send an in-game mail to Caylia or show up at Bree gate (we'll call out in the Bree and glff channels 15, 10, and 5 minutes prior to the start) - we have almost 400 views let's get those in-game mails flowing.

How will we communicate during the run?
    We will create a temporary User Channel /joinchannel KAOSDeathRun.

**There is no need for you to pay some kind of an entry fee or donate prizes**
    Last edited by voalkrynn2; Aug 31 2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Finalization of Stuff
    A vote for Sapience is a vote for progress? A 4th fix to get Draigoch to "dragon up" that still doesn't fix the persistent bug in the raid is not how I define progress.

Quote Originally Posted by voalkrynn2 View Post
    How do you signup for the KAOS Death Run?
    Send an in-game mail to Caylia!
    Geeee thanks Chuck! I'm sensing a clogged mailbox in my future.

If anyone has any ideas for prizes, or would kindly like to make a contribution, send me a tell in-game on Caylia, Fellyn or Taunna....we'll save the mail for the signups ./sigh

We are running a Draigoch tonight at 6:30 PM pacific to get scales and possibly relics for this event, anyone willing to donate some time (all other loot is open roll) contact me in-game!
    Defiant - Tinnsa, Xallyn, Cayllia
    We Cannot Get Out - Ayllah, Tinnsalicious

Sounds like fun! Count me in if my schedule allows (I'll still mail Ange just to contribute to the obscene amount of mail she's likely to filter through this week ;p)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/08207000000006ad9/signature.png]Feristahl[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by AngelinaM View Post
    Geeee thanks Chuck! I'm sensing a clogged mailbox in my future.

If anyone has any ideas for prizes, or would kindly like to make a contribution, send me a tell in-game on Caylia, Fellyn or Taunna....we'll save the mail for the signups ./sigh

We are running a Draigoch tonight at 6:30 PM pacific to get scales and possibly relics for this event, anyone willing to donate some time (all other loot is open roll) contact me in-game!
    Got the scales thanks Bluet!

Caylia good job last night er I mean suck it up buttercup!
    A vote for Sapience is a vote for progress? A 4th fix to get Draigoch to "dragon up" that still doesn't fix the persistent bug in the raid is not how I define progress.

Friendly bump
    [center][color=#CC3300]Lieutenant Sersi Niflhel[/color] [color=#666699]· [i]Retired[/i][/color]
    [color=#993333]"I will give you no quarter, and I will take none."[/color][/center]

Final bump prior to the event

Final bump prior to the event

Also a note that the temporary channel is up and running for anyone that may have questions or want to park their lowbie there in advance. I should be around off and on tomorrow during the day, and there are people there tonight.

/joinchannel kaosdeathrun

6pm PST is 8PM CMT?

Quote Originally Posted by manstan View Post
    6pm PST is 8PM CMT?
    Yes.

more words n' stuff
    [center][color=#CC3300]Lieutenant Sersi Niflhel[/color] [color=#666699]· [i]Retired[/i][/color]
    [color=#993333]"I will give you no quarter, and I will take none."[/color][/center]

Sounds like fun. I don't have any characters under lvl 20 and no open character slots. Can I run as a chicken in chicken session play?

The run was a success, I think everyone enjoyed themselves and we all had a few laughs, which was the whole point! We gave away a boatload of stuff, congrats to all the winners!!

Thank you to everyone who joined us and also to our referees and folks who very kindly donated prizes and their time in prize-gathering runs.

Anyone who has feedback, things we can improve on etc, gimme a yell in game

No follow up scheduled.....yet

[IMG][/IMG]
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR="#FFD700"][SIZE=3]Holder of a Golden Ticket[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT] (lifetime acct)

[IMG][/IMG]
    [FONT=Verdana][COLOR="#FFD700"][SIZE=3]Holder of a Golden Ticket[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT] (lifetime acct)

Thanks to everyone!

Big thumbs up to everyone from the refs, participants, observers, and reward donors!
    A few honorable mentions go out to:
    Spyder of H&E our winner! He made it basically to the Barnavon Mine (spelling?)!
    Irialeth of KON for keeping track of the winners.
    Caylia of SoE for running 1 of the 2 raids we had out there.
    Authum of Comunidad del Anillo for running the 2nd smaller group we had competing.
    Deliguy has shared a huge number of screenshots along the path please do + rep the player here on the forums!
    Belegnost of TMOH he was our ad hoc glff announcer.
    The loads of lvl 75 observers that picked up the way point clearing duties with no notice was extremely helpful.

In terms of another event historically I've never done the same thing twice; however, it seems people would like to give this particular exercise another go. We can do this but will need sometime to gather more prizes - donations are always welcome. The hot commodities were: scales, worn cele symbols, symbols of the eldar king, and settings. Oddly enough the lvl 65 1st Age symbols went before the lvl 75 2nd Age symbols. What do you people know that I do not know? xD

I don't expect a clasp nor a lvl 75 1st Age symbol to be a prize. These are still highly coveted and in the case of the symbol the pug never achieved T2 runs so we'd have none to give away.

Thoughts on how to make this more effective:
    For another go we will raise the maximum level to 30. There's been some concern about burgs using HIPS so we'd likely disallow that skill unless there is a long cool down.

We will need to establish a few more safe points for the later stage of the run from mid-RoI to the Tower's Gates.

The jury is still out on the run buffs. We need people to stay together please those of you that participated feel free to give your input!

You can use your class skills. A short 15 second champ/guard/capt sprint is fine.

Our winner noted he had difficulty seeing mobs due to the many observers that were in his path. Observers please get out of our runners' way! In the rear, among them, off to the side (unless you're pulling aggro) is best.

If you'd like to donate your time to refining the final route or prizes then please do send Caylia an in-game mail. She also likes to receive weeds and bacon in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by voalkrynn2 View Post
    If you'd like to donate your time to refining the final route or prizes then please do send Caylia an in-game mail. She also likes to receive weeds and bacon in the mail.
    Chuck, you should know by now that I will get you for comments like this. Consider yourself warned

In all seriousness, anyone with ideas or who would like to help out, please do contact me!