We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Do I need The Happy Cloud?

Hi.

I'm new to the game and have a quick question.

I downloaded and played the game last night, but today if I try launching the game thru any of the LOTR shortcuts nothing happens at all, I just get a TurbineInvoker.exe in my processes list.

If I run the installer instead it launches The Happy Cloud, then after a few seconds it opens the LOTR launcher and I can play the game.

So my question is - do I need the happy cloud to play the game or is something wrong, doesnt seem right using the installer, the game was fully downloaded.

Happy Cloud is a progressive game down loader. It is supposed to allow a software publisher to deliver a starter core of their huge application so that you can start using the application before it is completely downloaded.

Best I can tell, Turbine has included a Happy Cloud hook. Turbine never implemented the game changes to make it work.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

You can play the game in the starter Zones while the rest of the game is downloading, thus Happycloud.

I suspect that you have not finished downloading the game. My slow dsl takes about 16 to 20 hours to download the full game. Others with fast connections do it in less than an hour. My game takes up 16Gb which includes the hi-rez files.

I suspect that you thought the game had finished downloading and turned off the downloader.

ps. Once you are sure the entire game has finished downloading, make sure to uninstall Pando media downloader since you will never need it again and it will keep uploading game files to other people, slowing your system and using your bandwidth.

pss. How was that for a run on sentence
    Last edited by Hazmat; Aug 16 2012 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
    You can play the game in the starter Zones while the rest of the game is downloading, thus Happycloud.
    You are describing the old mechanism with the Turbine Download Manager. It appears that Happy Cloud is designed for the same idea. Happy Cloud is hoping to get you playing a big video game by downloading a 258 Megabyte starter package. I've seen no evidence that there is any current way to do this currently for Lotro. You only have:

1) Standard full FTP download like what Steam provides.
    2) A full peer to peer download which is what Pando Media Booster provdes.
    3) Cloud computing thru Gaikai.

Perhaps Happy Cloud is integrated with Gaikai. Gaikai is a limited Cloud computing free trial.

ive seen a couple of people saying they've played the game recently whilst its still downloading, not exactly sure if turbine have sneaked in a secret change to how the game installs or what but it seems a bit odd though

im half tempted to download and reinstall lotro to find out what sneaksey changes theyve made to the installer
    Last edited by Finglonger_UK; Aug 16 2012 at 11:21 AM.
    [CENTER][URL="http://mpws.guildlaunch.com/"][U][SIZE=3]Mischievous Pipe-Weed Smokers[/SIZE][/U][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] Blissfully smoking pipe-weed together on [I]Snowbourn[/I] since 14/04/07[/CENTER]
    [CENTER]spend all day smoking pipeweed and dreaming of gold[/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://mpws.guildlaunch.com/recruiting/create_apply.php?gid=163438"]JOIN US[/URL][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Finglonger_UK View Post
    im half tempted to download and reinstall lotro to find out what sneaksey changes theyve made to the installer
    I am tempeted to. I did download and test the progressive game play with the Turbine Download Manager. The game was virtually unplayable in the starter instance. TDM was consuming too many resources to download the game in the background while I was playing. TDM implementation was no use if you want to game in the full world.

IIRC, there were three progressions:

1) Tutorial instance
    2) Introduction instance
    3) Full world

I vaguely recall completing the Tutorial. The introduction was not ready. I had to wait. I finished the Introduction. The full world was not ready. I had to wait.

The wait was not a big deal. I got to play some of the time. I fussed a lot about the performance degradation. I felt that people trying the game would get a bad impression of the game because of the progressive download.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Aug 16 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Talking

Hi.
    Thanks for responses.
    Seems to be some confusion though lol.
    I downloaded the installer from the lotro main page. Its named LOTROProgressive_1.308, it installed and launched something called "The Happy Cloud" and yes, it did let me play after a small 2-3 hundred meg download, then continued the d/l while playing.

After my initial playing time the d/l was around 56%, so I let it continue overnight and the next day it was finished, which brings me back to my problem - when I launch the game from the LOTRO shortcuts nothing happens except a running process called "TurbineInvoker.exe"

If I launch the installer again it launches "The Happy Cloud", which instantly opens the LOTRO launcher and I can log in and play without issue. Kinda strange, could be my .net framework, I have tried repairing/removing/reinstalling it with the microsoft tools before but always end up with the same problems after(unable to update certain software)

Thanks again (-:

Sounds like there is minor glitch in the process. Once the game is fully downloaded by Happy Cloud, the hooks for the progressive downloader should be pulled out. You should be able to run the game directly from the TurbineInvoker.

It should work in the following modes:

1) Start Happy Cloud. download. game can not be started.

2) Start Happy Cloud. download. Start game if requested.

3) download finished, remove Happy Cloud. Start game when requested.

I hope so

I am downloading lotro again, trying to see happy cloud as it works. It seems to be a longer download, but its nice to play a bit while its downloading. What i worry about is if i have to open happy cloud after it is fully downloaded, it would be really annoying to do.

happy cloud is only used to download lotro, once lotro is downloaded you can uninstall happy cloud
    but you need to be 100% certain that lotro has finished downloading before removing happy cloud or you will encounter problems
    [CENTER][URL="http://mpws.guildlaunch.com/"][U][SIZE=3]Mischievous Pipe-Weed Smokers[/SIZE][/U][/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] Blissfully smoking pipe-weed together on [I]Snowbourn[/I] since 14/04/07[/CENTER]
    [CENTER]spend all day smoking pipeweed and dreaming of gold[/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://mpws.guildlaunch.com/recruiting/create_apply.php?gid=163438"]JOIN US[/URL][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Finglonger_UK View Post
    happy cloud is only used to download lotro, once lotro is downloaded you can uninstall happy cloud
    but you need to be 100% certain that lotro has finished downloading before removing happy cloud or you will encounter problems
    do not uninstall happy cloud you will end up with re downloading it all over again. i tried it yesterday with a deffrent game ddo. i thought i could but you cant.

Quote Originally Posted by tex100 View Post
    do not uninstall happy cloud you will end up with re downloading it all over again. i tried it yesterday with a deffrent game ddo. i thought i could but you cant.
    You can, however, disable HappyCloud so that it doesn't run anymore without affecting your game installation at all.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    You can, however, disable HappyCloud so that it doesn't run anymore without affecting your game installation at all.
    For anyone else having the problem I just went into "C:\ProgramData\Turbine\Th e Lord of the Rings Online" and made a link to "TurbineLlauncher.exe" on my desktop. It starts the game client without starting Happy Cloud. Thanks for the previous posts.

Happy Cloud Not So Happy More Like Persistant Cloud!

So I have had this issue with Happy Cloud installer as well. Frankly I am little aggrivated at Turbine you would think if they offer this as a valid option for installation for their software they would keep better tabs on it's failings. Even after download has finished completely and even short cutting a link directly to TurbineLauncher STILL get happy cloud launching with LotRO. To make matters worse the Happy Cloud program closes itself after several minutes of inactivity on my system and because happy cloud has exited it takes the game with it!! The only way I have been able to play game uninterrupted is to allow game to load up to login screen and then close happy cloud which for whatever reason doesnt actually close the game as well. This is a completely half baked implementation and is rather poor judgement on Turbines behalf if you ask me. Of course if you actually manage to get to a point where you can complain to either company it's a shuffle of blame and no resolution.

Okay so I just got a MacBook Pro and am trying to get LOTRO on it. (This is the first time I have used a Mac. O.o )
    I beleive I have downloaded the game but I cannot figure out how to launch it... So do I need to try to launch it using happy cloud? Or is there another way to find the launcher?
    If anyone could help me figure this out that would be great!!

I just got a new laptop with Windows 8 and it had happy cloud pop up for me. But it took maybe an hour to download the whole thing. I would suggest not playing while downloading, and just hit the other choices, and just do a straight download. But that's my opinion. Also LOTRO was the first time I have used the happy cloud, so others may know a tad more than I do, just saying .............................

won't let me install

I bought a new PC running on Windows 8.1.
    My laptop uses the same version of Windows and has no problem running lotro. Yet when I start to install, I get this message:

I am NOT running as administrator (even though I gave it a try just in case).

Sent a report to Happy Cloud too, but I'm hoping for a quicker response