We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

An idea for making houses useful

Firstly, forgive me if this idea is aleady floating around out there. I don't spend a lot of time on the forums, so it may well be that someone has beaten me to this. Secondly, excuse the rather lengthy post, but I would like to try and get enough detail into it so that my idea is coherent.

My suggestion is that it should become possible to instal crafting facilities in both player and kin houses. These facilities would be player made, but would require the input from a number of craft skills in order to construct. The best way to explain this is by example.

A player-made forge would require the following elements: timber frame, fired bricks, anvil, bellows and coke to operate it. These would be made as follows:

Forester collects wood and converts to planks. Woodworker converts planks to timber frame.
    Farmer colects clay and makes unfired bricks. Cook converts unfired bricks to fired bricks.
    Prospector gathers ores and converts to ingots. Metalworker converts ingots to anvil.
    Forester makes leather from hides. Tailor converts leather to bellows.
    Scholar converts vendor-bought coal to forge-grade coke.

This methodology could be applied to any crafting facility.

In order to make the idea attractive to players, house-based facilities would need to have some significant benefit over existing communal facilities. I would suggest the following.

1) Increased chance to crit.
    2) The ability to place things into a house chest from a vault. This would be one-way only i.e. you can put things into a house chest from a vault location, but not the other way round.

I would also suggest that these house-based facilities carry some cost, as follows:

1) Initial fee to install or upgrade (look at this as planning permission)
    2) Increases in weekly house rental as increased and/or improved facilites are installed (think of local taxes)
    3) Repair costs based on use. While we enjoy "free mainteneance" of communal facilites, we have to be responsible for the upkeep of privately-owned equivalents.

Facilities would of course be upgradeable based on the crafting Tier required to produce the components.

In addition, kin-facilities could be an upgrade of house-based facilities, but with considerably higher production costs.

It has always struck me that housing is strangely pointless, and while this idea may not be entirely original, it creates some point to owning a house.

I would welcome any comments or thoughts on this.

Finally, if someone has already posted this concept I again apologise.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I agree

While I agree with U on the fact they need to put something in to make housing something usefull & more than just a repository for the decorations we keep getting during the gameplay & Extra storage space via the house vaults but I'd like to see something more along the lines of what Dark Age of Camelot did (Haven't played it in afew years) or does. The houses there were equiped with hardpoits like the ones we have currently. But U could put just about anything in them, wether it was a decoration or a functional crafting facility. U also had the option of installing merchants so U could buy the materials needed to craft. And for gods sake, put stables in outside the housing zones, so we can also leave them in a timely manner as opposed to having to run half way accross the zones to get back out of the house zone line

Yes!

I agree with this request. Although having the ability to own/decorate your own house is a fun idea in itself, adding crafting bonuses to buying/maintaining a house would make the homesteads an area that's actually thriving, instead of a barren wasteland in most communities.

Additionally, I think it would be great to possibly add something similar to the vault system, but limited its use to just the house. One/two storage containers is a small benefit to owning a house.

I would love to see all these changes be made to the housing system, which will add yet another aspect to the already diversified LOTRO world.

Azz

Quote Originally Posted by Effan View Post
    But U could put just about anything in them, wether it was a decoration or a functional crafting facility.
    Effan

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and respond. I agree with you that some flexbility to put things where we want as opposed to the currently very restrctive method of placing furniture would be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethke View Post
    One/two storage containers is a small benefit to owning a house.

Azz
    Bethke, I agree that the current storage space does seem a little low.

And thanks for taking the time to read my post and comment.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, why should I port to Bree or whatever other town to do my crafting while I have a perfect little house where I could do all this? I mean, the housing community is already supplied with a provisioner and even the game vault, so why not a workbench and a forge???