We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Howell View Post
    While I mostly agree with Tiamo - cappy is by far the weakest of my six high level characters - I am curious about the herald advice here. My impression is that the oathbreaker archer is the best dps herald by a substantial margin. Is the herald of hope actually competitive? I do miss the herald-heal, so if I'm not gimping my already low dps by switching from the archer that might be worth a try.

And apparently I misunderstood how the new fellowship-brother legendary works (haven't played cappy much since ROI, so those changes are still new to me!), I thought that had no effect at all when soloing. So FB+Shield Brother lets Inspire heal yourself as well as the herald, is that how it works? Could come in handy! I find that I rarely use Oathbreakers anyway, so switching it out should be no big deal.

Re: Omen_Kaizer's claim that post-60 cappies can match dps minis, lol no! Not even close. At 60 captain dps merely becomes bearable.
    In single-target, sustained personal DPS, WS Minstrels are very close to Captains--who are the bottom. I'm not talking about HoH captains either. Most of these run-of-the-mill captains you see in groups arent even trying to maximize the damage they can bring while performing their other functions. What kind of encounters with red captains have you had?

Have you ever gone out to the LG with kinmates to time how long it took to kill a tree while the other healed? I did, with a minstrel buddy of mine. In practically equal gear, we killed the trees around the same time each. Where are your anecdotes?

Tiamo, with a lvl 40-something captain and a 60-something minstrel, you have a very limited point of reference.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Yeah sorry comparing a 40 Cappy to an endgame cappy, even taking proper account of scaling weapon damage is a non-comparision.

First and foremost, most gear in the first 3 levels of Moria out does anything you can get immidietlly prior. Even a full set of 50 guild gear goes bye bye at around level 54. Previouslly guild gear was rarely replaced till you hit the next set of guild gear, and most of what you did replace went away at only a couple of levels off the next set. Only a couple of peices out of Forochel lasted me any length of time. As such a character at the start of Moria is a lot more than 10 levels of weapon DPS and 10 "prior" levels of leveling off a 60.

A captain starts to get most of their really good skills mid to early moria. Their DPS and durability start to undergo drastic scaling through moria above and beyond that provided by the above average scaling of gear.

Also using a Blood Rook Fight where you DPS'd the addds is just terriblle. That thing is hell on any toon, it gets +10% damage for every add nearby, it hits harder than anythign else you'll face including encounter elites and bosses. You have to focus on that ASAP, (pref with revealing mark), to stand a chance with any toon at any level.

@OP

It seems slower but it isn't that bad. I rolled my 3rd captain over my 20ish alts and it isn't too bad (well the leveling is fast compared to what it used to be back in the day). Its more about how the zones/quest hubs than the class itself. Captain is lackuster on the dps but it should not be that different than other classes while leveling. Just keep in mind to keep your weapon updated as much as possible.
    Marianna, Captain lv105, Gladden (formely Windfola)

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    @OP
    It seems slower but it isn't that bad...
    What a difference personal perspective makes. My first high-level character was a pet-centric Lore-master, and I leveled him up to 65 before all the changes to LM made leveling up easier (I've played here for years). My captain is my second character I've raised to legendary levels, and I found him so easy to play and very quick to level compared to my experience with my LM. My herald rarely dies and has been quite useful. He's as dumb as rocks compared to a LM pet but I can work with him, and he's definitely a more effective choice than banners for me. I can definitely handle on-level questing and can also do many quests up to 5 levels above me.

For the original poster, be assured that by any standard it does get better, but continue to seek out advice and tips on playing a Captain and -- if you enjoy the overall concept -- hang in there. Also, if you want easier leveling, follow the epic quest line. Keep power- and health- restoring consumables on hand also.
    Last edited by Herellomar; Aug 28 2012 at 12:45 PM.
    "I am dreading the publication, for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Ok, some numbers.

I spent an hour last night on each of my L44 characters, one Captain, one Guardian. They're equipped similarly. They're traited for solo play for the most part. The Captain is largely traited for damage (since there really isn't a defensive spec) and the Guardian traited for defense (shield use).

I played Thievery and Mischief over and over for an hour, and kept track of several stats as I played. I noted how many attacks it took to defeat a foe. I noted the average damage per attack. I noted how long it took to defeat a foe. I noted how much health and power was left after defeating the foe. I noted how much damage per attack I was taking.

The Captain, using his halbard, was doing an average of about 100 damage per attack. The Guardian, using a 1 handed sword and shield, was doing around 70. If I switched the Captain to sword and board, his damage per attack dropped to about 50. The high damage point for the Captain was a 243 point critical hit, the low point was 55. The Guardian's high damage point was 212, the low point 47.

The Guardian required more attacks to defeat foes, logically, but he was doing it faster than the Captain. It took him about 16 attacks to defeat a foe, while the Captain was taking 13. Not a big difference.

Each fought a wood troll lieutenant during the skirmish. The troll had 2113 health. It took the Captain 45 seconds to defeat it. The Guardian took 23 seconds. That averages out to about 46.9 dps for the Captain, and 91.8 for the Guardian. Note that this is a DPS traited Captain, and he's doing HALF the damage of the DEFENSE traited Guardian.

The Captain had about 1/3 health after the fight, the Guardian was nearly at full health (perhaps 9/10 health). The Captain had nearly no power left (about 20 points), and the Guardian had about 3/4 of his power left (this is because of the power regenerating traits the Guard can get for when they block and parry - the Captain has no way to recover power).

On average, the Guardian was taking less damage than the Captain, but that makes sense. He's traited for defense and has a shield. A typical hit on the Captain was doing around 100 damage, while the Guardian took closer to 60.

****************************** ****************************** **************************

I think this illustrates what I was saying before. These are two similar characters at the same level, and one performs FAR worse than the other. Granted, the test was short, so there's not a lot of data, but it's consistent with my experience with these characters over several years of play, so I think it is likely valid.

The Captain needs help in a lot of areas. I can't see this any other way.

R.I.P NIDOR of Brandywine Server(1970-2012)

Once again a captain at 44 and a captain at 65 or above are two completly diffrent toons. Most classes, (And from my limited playing time Guards are one of these), come into their own around 20-30. A captain is 55 minimum, most would say a fair bit higher. The Captain at 44 is no wus, but they don't begin to compare to their endgame.

Most of it comes down to LI's, VS, stat scaling effects, FB, and IDOME.

Also whats your current Trait Setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Omen_Kaizer View Post
    In single-target, sustained personal DPS, WS Minstrels are very close to Captains--who are the bottom. I'm not talking about HoH captains either. Most of these run-of-the-mill captains you see in groups arent even trying to maximize the damage they can bring while performing their other functions. What kind of encounters with red captains have you had?

Have you ever gone out to the LG with kinmates to time how long it took to kill a tree while the other healed? I did, with a minstrel buddy of mine. In practically equal gear, we killed the trees around the same time each. Where are your anecdotes?
    Sustained may be the key word there, since mini dps falls off so much after the initial burst when all you have are minor ballads while the cries/calls come of cd. For purposes of leveling, that one cycle of cries/calls is usually enough to finish a pull for a mini.

My "encounters" with red cappies - just one, playing mine, currently level 67. Regarding your LLG test, sounds interesting, but I know precisely one active captain and he returned to the game well after my mini reached kindred with LLG. Not sure if he's even visited GR yet.

Anecdotally, leveling my mini to 75 was an absolute breeze, arguably the easiest and most pleasurable leveling experience of any class in the game. Whereas in hindsight I'm amazed I didn't drop my captain in the low 50s, he was such a chore. Probably would have if Vilya hadn't been the recommended server last summer, delaying when I started playing my then-lowbie mini and champ over there. As I said, once a captain hits 60 and can trait 5r with the capstone, it's no longer terrible, but I have no expectation that the leveling experience will ever be better than mediocre. There's a reason it's the last class I'm taking to cap - just hope there are a few groups left on that server so I can do something fun with him once he does hit 75 (or 85, depending how long it takes).

If you want more specifics - rare elites in Lorien. Mini crushes them at 58, and I knew better than to even attempt them on my captain way back when he was in that level range. Ditto for the Expedition quests in II.1 that send you to the half-orc cave - most classes can solo that cave with some effort at 45, captain - not so much.

Since this is a thread about leveling captains, it really isn't relevant what they can do when well-geared at 75; what various people are saying about their experiences in the 30s-40s are exactly what this thread is about.

Will play around with the hope herald compared to my archer next time I'm on my captain, see how that goes. Thanks!

Since this is a thread about leveling captains, it really isn't relevant what they can do when well-geared at 75; what various people are saying about their experiences in the 30s-40s are exactly what this thread is about.
    Tiamo is talking like what applies at 44 is true at every level and thus the captain as a whole is weak. Yes a captains leveling is bad, but the same can't be said of the class at cap even without endgame gear from maximum of 65 onwards a cappy is damm near unkilliable barring super major screw ups. At cap in endgame content a captain is sily irreplacable, they're downright brokenly overpowered in that respect. Any other spot in the group can be taken by a minimum of 2 classes, often more. A cappy though? Nothing does what we do and any other class in our place weakens the whole group.

Keep in mind the level cap used to be 50. Saying the class comes into its own at 55 suggests a serious problem to me.

In any case, I've been turning the problem around in my head today, and I think I have an idea. Now, I solo most of the time, and I've not reached higher level just yet on the Captain, so you can tell me if you think this will break anything (just be sure to explain why, just saying "no" won't illuminate anything...).

The premise I'm working from is this: The Captain needs improvement in damage output and in personal survivability. He also needs some way to recover power more readily.

First, we change Pressing Attack and Devestating Blow so they are no longer reactives. That is, the Captain can use them at all times. This will increas damage output somewhat by giving the Captain two more basic attacks. It would also give him an area attack, which he otherwise lacks completely.

Second, we change his Battle Shout. Instead of unlocking the attacks above, the shout would now give a bonus to critical hit, somewhere around a 50% boost (similar to an Unyielding Piercing Cry by an Minstrel). This bonus would last for one attack (not autoattack, though).

This would increase dps by increasing the liklihood of critical hits. At the same time, it would allow the Captain to use his "On Defeat" reactives more often, most notably his big heal. This would increase his personal defense by letting him heal himself more reliably. It would also give him the freedom to use those powers more situationally, as the critical hits would come more often, meaning these powers would be available more often. With the long cooldown they have, I don't see this being unbalancing.

The third thing I'd do is put a power return effect on Noble Mark. Just as the one mark heals morale based on hits to the marked enemy, Noble Mark would heal power the same way.

A final thing I'd love to see is bow use. Let us use a bow or crossbow, even if it's just by way of autoattack. Performance aside, it is something that would be good for RP purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamo View Post
    The premise I'm working from is this: The Captain needs improvement in damage output and in personal survivability. He also needs some way to recover power more readily.

First, we change Pressing Attack and Devestating Blow so they are no longer reactives. That is, the Captain can use them at all times. This will increas damage output somewhat by giving the Captain two more basic attacks. It would also give him an area attack, which he otherwise lacks completely.

Second, we change his Battle Shout. Instead of unlocking the attacks above, the shout would now give a bonus to critical hit, somewhere around a 50% boost (similar to an Unyielding Piercing Cry by an Minstrel). This bonus would last for one attack (not autoattack, though).

This would increase dps by increasing the liklihood of critical hits. At the same time, it would allow the Captain to use his "On Defeat" reactives more often, most notably his big heal. This would increase his personal defense by letting him heal himself more reliably. It would also give him the freedom to use those powers more situationally, as the critical hits would come more often, meaning these powers would be available more often. With the long cooldown they have, I don't see this being unbalancing.
    This would be hilariously overpowered. With the right gear starting on level 65 (it might even be earlier, I'm sure the Helegrod set has the set bonus though) all the way to end-game captains are able to get their rallying cry cooldown down to 6 seconds. The changes you're proposing would pretty much give captains a sure-shot way to hit RC whenever it's off cooldown. I do agree a 45 second cooldown on RC is a bit steep while leveling up though, I wouldn't mind seeing it reduced to a base 30 seconds with the legacy reducing it another 15 (does any captain run WITHOUT this legacy nowadays, anyway?)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/22219000000163cbf/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Fyrexiel - guardian | Fyrcuna - burglar | Fyrion - minstrel | Fyrenze - captain | Fyrinthehole - hunter

Keep in mind the level cap used to be 50. Saying the class comes into its own at 55 suggests a serious problem to me.

In any case, I've been turning the problem around in my head today, and I think I have an idea. Now, I solo most of the time, and I've not reached higher level just yet on the Captain, so you can tell me if you think this will break anything (just be sure to explain why, just saying "no" won't illuminate anything...).

The third thing I'd do is put a power return effect on Noble Mark. Just as the one mark heals morale based on hits to the marked enemy, Noble Mark would heal power the same way.

A final thing I'd love to see is bow use. Let us use a bow or crossbow, even if it's just by way of autoattack. Performance aside, it is something that would be good for RP purposes.
    This would be awesome, but maybe OP IMO, depending on the captain.

For sure we need some more power regen, it is ridiculous how, even with food, my power is drained so fast! maybe they should deacrease the power that we spend in the skills or increase the inherent power regen of the cappy...

The noble mark thing would be veery nice, although it would be a problem if we are not meant to take the aggro.

About the bow usage, I think it have nothing to do with the captain role, a bow is a weapon for people dedicated in ranged attacks (hunter)...maye a Xbow would make more sense, and at least one skill to use with it... something that make the enemy bleed and slow him (in moors it would be amazing)
    [b][size=3][FONT=Garamond][color=#8B0000][center]HELGRIMM OF ELENDILMIR[/color][/FONT][/size][/b][color=#696969][i]Still I'm pushing onward, alone I can't deny
    My presence fills the desert, my spirit never dies![/i][/color][/center]
    [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9080823/ville.gif[/img][/center]

The first thing to understand is that a LOT has changed since release. I wasn't around then but as I understand it there's been about 3 or 4 major stat and combat system overhauls. Trait lines also didn't exist and neither did LI's AFAIK.

To give you an idea. Jump on your ini. Unslot your traits, (legendaries, virtues, everything), and swap out your LI's. Drop to no stance and take every post 50 skill off your toolbars as well as any warspeech only ones. That’s roughly what minnies had back then.

What that means is that classes where far less multi-role capable. the only main healer was a minnie and they did nothing else well. the only main tank was a guard and they did littlie else well, LM's and Burgs shared the CC and Debuff role, but brought different styles to this as well as differentiated abilities allowing each to do things the other couldn't. Hunters and Champs shared the DPS role, one ranged one melee, each again with some unique aspects no one else covered. Cappies where alone as the buffer class.

Since then every class has seen marked rises. Many release era instances can now be gone through on level with littile or no CC used. Back in the day the tank could never have stood upto that kind of damage and the healer could never have healed it. Captains have only really got stronger as buffers and much more of that power is tied up in legendaries and LI's, (unlike most classes who share it equally amongst LI's Legendaries, and ordinary traits).

You see that’s the cappy issue. Most of their power is tied up in legendaries, (especially capstones), and LI's. And most of that power is in their buffs. Without those their fighting with only half their arsenal. Another factor is our defeat events. Our capstones ungate a couple of them, and most importantly our crit chance climbs a god 105 between Moria entry and 75, more lke 15% in full raid gear. That plus pressing attack, (most people run at least the unlevelled legacy for this), gives you a very high, (in raid gear >75%, more like 60% at cap in levelling gear), chance of a defeat event. This coupled with the inevitable kills and RC cooldown legacy already allows a captain very heavy usage of RC. Combined with fellowship brother we can pull some very significant self healing of both morale and power. VS, SL, and MC are all just icings on the cake at that point. They make things easier by giving us yet more options.

Whilst Fyrexiel has done a fine job of explaining why your idea would be OP atm. I'm not going to dismiss it out of hand.

Most captains ae IMHO of the opinion that our defeat events system is a dead horse at this point. We've got so many ways to get around it that it doesn’t actually serve any real purpose anymore, a complete overhaul really is needed.

At the same time our current Battle Ready/Battle Hardened chain is an even more aged dinosaur than our defeat events. 1 battle ready producing skills that unlock just two battle hardening skills that allows one other skill to be used on a CD that has shrunk to near miniscule proportions do not make for a great mechanic.

I've come up with a few idea's for both over time. Most involved increasing the number of battle ready/battle hardened skills we had and rolling our defeat events into a third step. But i see an elegance in your idea that's even better. Have Battle ready be a buff any skill can benefit from and suddenly a lot of the clumsiness of the system disappears and the class flexibility skyrockets. I'm going to sit and think on this and throw together a few idea's.

To give you an idea of what to look forward to. This is my cappies stats, (she's still in the stuff she hit cap in, I took a break straight afterwards and have been levelling my hunter since coming back):

Inspire: HoT of 40-57, Pot of 26-37

RC: Burst Heal of 425-607 Morale, HoT of 23-33, Burst Power Heal of 145-208, PoT of 32-45

My Current stats with herald out are 7K morale and 2.1K Power Pool. That’s enough to get me through nearly everything on landscape. (For reference my hunter is more like 5.1K and 1.8K, which is pretty close to my Cappies un-buffed Morale, the difference being my cappie has a set of T7 relics slotted, my Hunter is stuck on T5’s ATM).

I'm also seeing a base 23.3% crit chance. My Pressing Attack/Devastating Blow is probably >25% thanks to traits and LI's.

Hope that helps.

Like the OP, I'm currently leveling a cappy and he's 43 now. It has become very very hard work despite him having adamant shard 41 armour, decent jewellery and the Tinnu rep halberd. My other toons - champ, hunter, burg and minstrel, as well as a warden I hardly play - could happily take on orange mobs. The cappy gets his posterior handed to him on a regular basis; he can fight one orange, but 2 - forget it. Even with the Herald of War for increased DPS. No other toon suffers as much from fighting over-level mobs with no self-heals and a stick of wet celery aka a halberd. Many many times I've just popped LS and Make Haste and run like a frightened bunny.

I've cleaned out Echad Candelleth and West Angmar (East is currently full of red mobs), and I'm desperately trying to find 2 levels without having to go to Forochel so I can go get mah LIs. A kinnie suggested skirms, and IMO that's where a cappy really shines; two minions to direct (Herald of Hope and Warrior), just let them rip and buff/heal away. I foresee quite a few Tuckborough and Ford of Bruinen skirms to get my Shire and Trollshaws slayer deeds.

Advice please? I'm going Herald of War + Revealing Mark; should I be going Victory + Telling or some other combo?

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    Advice please? I'm going Herald of War + Revealing Mark; should I be going Victory + Telling or some other combo?
    I would go War Banner + Telling Mark and try to slot 4 red traits if you have it. The set bonus is 5% extra crit chance, which will give you more defeat responses and thus more rallying cries (RC). Revealing mark is great for soloing some harder bosses (usually those, which are not designed for solo), but at the middle levels your dps is not high enough to see a decent healing effect.

The situation will change dramatically when you receive the LIs. Selfhealing from RC will be noticeably higher, telling mark more efficient and the '+targets to pressing attack' legacy will give you some valuable AoE. At higher levels (from lvl60) you will easily kill multiple red/orange mobs, be patient . You need to suffer through these 2 levels and I would go to Misty Mountains (doing the book6 meanwhile), the XP rewards per quest there are at least 50% higher than in Forochel and the Epic instances are a great source of legendary pages.

You can have a look at the Eregion region too. The starting quests are designed for lvl48 and you can attempt those at lvl43 already. Sure you will have to fight red mobs one by one, it will take some time, but the XP rewards in that area are very high and some quests do not require much fighting.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtarel - Hunter / Lunasa - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

Forochel. Your going to have to do it anyway, and it's about the right level for starting in. Seriously, like i already said, you need at the minimum your red capstone, Fellowship Brother, LI's, and Shadows Lament before things come really good, (FB will help in the short term though as it gives you a self heal via Inspire). As such doing more than the Moria access Epic, (with it's LI's ), at below 50 is just not recommended and Forochel is the only way your going up to that level without a lot of running round. Also have you done Misty Mountains.

If I remember correctly, I did most of my playing in the mid-40s with the Herald of Hope (who is the most survivable off-tank of the bunch). 4 red traits (and Now for Wrath, if you have it) are a must.

The first quest hub in Forochel is meant for level 44, so you should be able to pull it off.

Have you finished everything in Western Angmar? There are a lot of quests there, and not too many that require a full fellowship. It should be possible to form a small fellowship there. It's in East Angmar where everyone seems to disappear for greener pastures (LIs, class quests, Forochel, etc.).
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

I have taken to just keeping a handy skirmish soldier(archer) around ... Can i trade in my herald for it? Please?

IMHO they need to make our herealds deal a % if our main hand damage as their baseline from which their AA's and such like are drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Carl View Post
    IMHO they need to make our herealds deal a % if our main hand damage as their baseline from which their AA's and such like are drawn.
    Or they share our melee offence rating - which wouldn't necessarily be OP, because there's a lot of math that takes that rating and gives us our DPS which may be drastically different for the herald.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Or they share our melee offence rating - which wouldn't necessarily be OP, because there's a lot of math that takes that rating and gives us our DPS which may be drastically different for the herald.
    Even if they shared it we'd be looking at what, +150% damage total at a maximum. Given how non-existant their base DPS is that's not going to even band aid the problem.

Thanks all for the comments. Did some Forochel quests to get to the first deed (now have 7 charity) and Yrjana's Band, ran a couple of skirms and now am sitting in Eregion at the middle of level 44, ready to run to Echad Dunann as soon as I ding 45, get the LI and go back out with better l00tz and more DPS. Won't bother with the half-orc cave.

I did some work on my skirm soldier (warrior). It's fun to sit back and watch Stan and Kenny (my herald) take the mobs down. Stan is really quite epic now and took down a wood-troll skirm boss by himself when I wasn't looking.

It is really noticeable that orange mobs on a cappy in MM are *tough* - yellows are much more manageable. The Dunlendings in Eregion seem to die pretty fast though, even though they're orange, and ofc crebain are swarms so die fast anyway.

So overall, am in much better shape now and able to look forward with a bit more confidence.

I'll echo the rest, for me leveling a Cappy has positivly sucked. DPSes so slow I used to run out of power and die because I cannot attack. If not for several top notch Cappys in my kin pushing me, he would have died a fast delete death.

My gear is always as good as it can be due to kin help and my own crafting. I will say each class seems to hit a sweet spot where the class seems to come together and life flows better. For me on the Cappy it was around 58/59. I am a 61 now and can function at what I consider a good basic level.

I love the options a Cappy brings to the group, but it is not a fast/good solo toon IMO. They are how ever beasts in a group The difference a Cappy makes to a 6/12 man run is huge.
    Used to show a pic... Seems to be broken links now. Good Ole Turbine.

I've now come back out of Moria with baby's first LI and emblem at 46. I've also got IDOME and suddenly I'm a monster (461 might with buffs), melee crit at cap for the level and easily capable of soloing (well, with Kenny) the Eregion huorns even when they're orange.

Other classes benefit a lot from early LIs, but I've never seen such a difference in power while levelling caused by one more level and better gear. The closest comparison I think is when my champion hit 20 and got access to heavy armour.

To let you all in on an experiment I've been trying, I think I may have discovered the secret of playing a Captain.

Build for critical rating (and Vitality). I know, it says Might, but you'll get that more or less by default from your armour. I've rebuilt with an eye toward critical rating, and it's changed the character completely. Now, he lands critical hits more often, which has increased his DPS and his personal defense, as he can now use Rallying Cry more readily. The other things that have helped enormously are the legendary trait that boosts all his stats by his level (In Defence of Middle Earth, I think it's called) and the heal on Muster Courage.

Now, that said, I think the class still needs help. NEITHER of these are available early in the game, so the class is very weak until L45+. Also, there is still no practical way to regain power. Here's another thought for you. What if the took the light damage component off of Blade of Elendil, and replaced it with a power heal over time (or made that effect something accessed by traiting)? The light damage is rare and pretty weak, while the power heal would actually be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    I've now come back out of Moria with baby's first LI and emblem at 46. I've also got IDOME and suddenly I'm a monster (461 might with buffs), melee crit at cap for the level and easily capable of soloing (well, with Kenny) the Eregion huorns even when they're orange.

Other classes benefit a lot from early LIs, but I've never seen such a difference in power while levelling caused by one more level and better gear. The closest comparison I think is when my champion hit 20 and got access to heavy armour.
    We tried to tell you, wait till you hit 60 and look back on your 46 and wonder how you though you could have been so weak as you are now. Yes, although there no dramatic boost like that again, you'll see a still steady rise at a time when most classes find their plateau.

To let you all in on an experiment I've been trying, I think I may have discovered the secret of playing a Captain.

Build for critical rating (and Vitality). I know, it says Might, but you'll get that more or less by default from your armour. I've rebuilt with an eye toward critical rating, and it's changed the character completely. Now, he lands critical hits more often, which has increased his DPS and his personal defense, as he can now use Rallying Cry more readily. The other things that have helped enormously are the legendary trait that boosts all his stats by his level (In Defence of Middle Earth, I think it's called) and the heal on Muster Courage.

Now, that said, I think the class still needs help. NEITHER of these are available early in the game, so the class is very weak until L45+. Also, there is still no practical way to regain power. Here's another thought for you. What if the took the light damage component off of Blade of Elendil, and replaced it with a power heal over time (or made that effect something accessed by traiting)? The light damage is rare and pretty weak, while the power heal would actually be useful.
    It takes a few more levels but with an RC CD Legacy maxed out and Now for Wrath slotted most of your power issues will go away if you also have the -melee skills power cost legacy on your weapon. at 74 blade brother will provide an additional boost. But in truth you'll need raid gear to bring it under control. Power is the captains big issue as it where. (In the same way threat is a hunters). Every class has something like this they need raid gear to overcome.

I agree sub 45 needs boosts, but it's hard to do without leaving cappies even more powerful at cap .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast