We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamo View Post
    The third thing I'd do is put a power return effect on Noble Mark.
    They would need to remove the threat component I think. It has increased threat and it reduces threat for others. Give Revealing Mark the morale and power heal. Then give Telling Mark a second function, 5% damage and... reduce their armor by 5%?

A final thing I'd love to see is bow use. Let us use a bow or crossbow, even if it's just by way of autoattack. Performance aside, it is something that would be good for RP purposes.
    Yes, please, been asking for this since 2007. We are a master of weapons, should be able to use bows and crossbows. I think the real reason we don't get bow use is because we are forced to use armaments and now banners in our ranged slot. Make armaments and banners our class item, like they should be. Then make our legendary class item, legendary bows. Keep the regular bonuses on them, just add the legacies and tactical healing rating. I don't like the idea of crossbows, so if it is one or the other, please bows, but we should get both. Of course we will get the Let Fly skill, but no reason for other bow skills.

Also, there is still no practical way to regain power. Here's another thought for you. What if the took the light damage component off of Blade of Elendil, and replaced it with a power heal over time (or made that effect something accessed by traiting)? The light damage is rare and pretty weak, while the power heal would actually be useful.
    Yes.

Noble mark needs to stay as is - it's absolutely necessary for a LoM tank captain.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Noble mark needs to stay as is - it's absolutely necessary for a LoM tank captain.
    I emphatically agree.

Perhaps a whole new mark then, call it the Mark of Victory, that does the power heal.

R.I.P NIDOR of Brandywine Server(1970-2012)

Thankfully a Captain was my first toon so I didn't know how bad I had it

I guess I shouldn't really weigh in on captain power issues while leveling but at endgame my power issues have pretty much been resolved by Now for Wrath + Rally Cry cooldown legacy. I can recall using the Victory herald quite a bit while leveling though. His herald heal should give you a bit of power which is nice.

Blade of Elendil is being given a revision for RoR so I don't see changes to that happening and I think our marks are pretty good as is. Maybe they could just do an easier curve to the increases in our skill costs (lowering costs at lower levels and increasing them till they hit where they're currently at at higher levels).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    So wait for your auto attack to go off before you use another melee ability.
    Autoattacks go off whether or not you see the animation. Spamming other attacks won't slow down autos.
    Last edited by TheStormKing; Sep 10 2012 at 11:06 AM.
    I am Blackhawk, Leader of
    S T R A Y H O L D
    Forum
    ~Roster ~ Events
    ~ Member of the 2013 Player Council ~
    ...We were not ready to find Aztaur the Balrog, the Frozen Death, the Ice Demon of Thangorodrim. But Find Him We Did...

So I am a premium player who is yet to invest resources into unlocking trait slots. I have the Path of the Fellowship package, where I plan to level up.

Thing is, I've hit this spot, at L35, where can't really go into the Trollshaws because even single trolls are too strong for me to take down solo, and the only unlocked below-level content that I have left are Garth Agarwaen fellowship quests where I usually get swarmed.

Is it feasible to tacke this by grinding ~5 levels in skirmishes, or should I try to unlock my slots right away (I've been holding off, because I want to be able to advance some crafting levels during the VIP month).
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Neither. Trollshaws doesn't have enough content. You basically require either Evendim or North Downs these days. Evendim is best. And really your going to want Forochel to get you from Evendim to Erigon.

The patch of the fellowship quest packs don't give you remotely enough content to get you to moria on it's own, mostly because Trollshaws is a junk zone. It could have zero quests and it would make little difference in practise.

In fact if it wasn't for the need to go through it to reach erigon most players would probably never go there at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bezmer View Post
    So I am a premium player who is yet to invest resources into unlocking trait slots. I have the Path of the Fellowship package, where I plan to level up.

Thing is, I've hit this spot, at L35, where can't really go into the Trollshaws because even single trolls are too strong for me to take down solo, and the only unlocked below-level content that I have left are Garth Agarwaen fellowship quests where I usually get swarmed.

Is it feasible to tacke this by grinding ~5 levels in skirmishes, or should I try to unlock my slots right away (I've been holding off, because I want to be able to advance some crafting levels during the VIP month).
    The Trollshaws kinda sucks for leveling, what with the paucity and diffuseness of quests. I believe the trolls are meant to be for small fellowships, too, though admittedly that doesn't stop some people. I would ignore the troll killing quests if I were having trouble, or group up. Check LotRO-wiki.com to see if particularly troublesome quests are precursors to other quests or dead-ends.

Yes, it is feasible to fill in gaps in questing with skirmishing. If I were trying to conserve funds and I were planning on going VIP for a month down the road, I'd hold off on unlocking traits too. That said, you want to get those unlocked by the time you pick up the legendary IDOME, as the boost is a fairly nice landmark while leveling.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Carl View Post
    Neither. Trollshaws doesn't have enough content. You basically require either Evendim or North Downs these days. Evendim is best. And really your going to want Forochel to get you from Evendim to Erigon.

The patch of the fellowship quest packs don't give you remotely enough content to get you to moria on it's own, mostly because Trollshaws is a junk zone. It could have zero quests and it would make little difference in practise.

In fact if it wasn't for the need to go through it to reach erigon most players would probably never go there at all.
    Interesting. I basically need to hit the low 40s before venturing into Eregion (that looks like 8-10 more levels), right? Is this not possible to do on Trollshaws content/skirmishes alone?
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Quote Originally Posted by Omen_Kaizer View Post
    The Trollshaws kinda sucks for leveling, what with the paucity and diffuseness of quests. I believe the trolls are meant to be for small fellowships, too, though admittedly that doesn't stop some people. I would ignore the troll killing quests if I were having trouble, or group up. Check LotRO-wiki.com to see if particularly troublesome quests are precursors to other quests or dead-ends.

Yes, it is feasible to fill in gaps in questing with skirmishing. If I were trying to conserve funds and I were planning on going VIP for a month down the road, I'd hold off on unlocking traits too. That said, you want to get those unlocked by the time you pick up the legendary IDOME, as the boost is a fairly nice landmark while leveling.
    Thanks, this is useful. I take it it's not worth trying to to Garth Agarwen content solo at this point? I seem to die horribly the moment I step past the campfire at the gates, as the three mobs there are just too much to tackle alone or with herald (and there doesn't seem to be a way to pull them one by one).

I was planning to unlock when I reach ~60, so that I can get some guild advancement and levels beyond what's available in Lothlorien content. Also by then I can hopefully stockpile some guild items to use. Not sure whether that's feasible, or how much fun it's going to be -- so I might just unlock earlier (I have a boxed SoA copy sitting at home whenever I decide I feel like it). I'm not on a particularly stringent budget, but I'd like not to spend more than I have to.

Interesting. I basically need to hit the low 40s before venturing into Eregion (that looks like 8-10 more levels), right? Is this not possible to do on Trollshaws content/skirmishes alone?
    You absolutely can do it with skirmishes, since they're an unlimited source of XP that'll supplement the fairly lacking Trollshaws. It's just going to suck. Evendim and Forochel are quicker (and more questing deeds and their associated virtues is always nice).

Speaking of virtues: you get +2 Loyalty from questing in the Trollshaws. I personally like Loyalty because it gives the 5th most amount of Tactical Mitigation, as well as other things. Nor do I like the virtue that gives the 4th most Tact mit. Having seen in practice how much finesse Orthanc bosses have (30+% on T2 Bukot, for example), I am disillusioned with the virtues that load you up with resist (but I'm sure those are great for the moors).
    Last edited by Omen_Kaizer; Sep 10 2012 at 01:15 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

As Omen says, you can do it, it's just not recommended. Realistically Erigon is best left till around 45. My own levelling path, ( i have all zones so it's easy for me to do this btw), jumps from Evendim end to a mix of misty mountains, Angmar, and what little Trollshaws content there is. Then around 44 i hit Forochel. Run off and do Moria intro epic at level 45, run back and finish up in Forochel around 47-49. Then hit Erigon till low 50's, (52-53). You can with the new Moria, (just been through it with a champ very recently), you can hit 60 without doing anything outside the revamped area beyond the Epics and the stuff out of the Twentyfirst Hall. Then you can jump to Dimrill and do as you please from there.

It's possible that if you did enough of lower moria, (redhorn, flaming Deeps, and Foundations of Stone), that you could hit 65, or more by end of Dimril Dale.

However it IS possibble to go straight from Evendim tio Forochel, the quests will be mostly Orange so it's not easy, but very doable.
    Last edited by Darth_Carl; Sep 10 2012 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Carl View Post
    As Omen says, you can do it, it's just not recommended. Realistically Erigon is best left till around 45. My own levelling path, ( i have all zones so it's easy for me to do this btw), jumps from Evendim end to a mix of misty mountains, Angmar, and what little Trollshaws content there is. Then around 44 i hit Forochel. Run off and do Moria intro epic at level 45, run back and finish up in Forochel around 47-49. Then hit Erigon till low 50's, (52-53). You can with the new Moria, (just been through it with a champ very recently), you can hit 60 without doing anything outside the revamped area beyond the Epics and the stuff out of the Twentyfirst Hall. Then you can jump to Dimrill and do as you please from there.

It's possible that if you did enough of lower moria, (redhorn, flaming Deeps, and Foundations of Stone), that you could hit 65, or more by end of Dimril Dale.
    Well, I don't plan on maintaining subscription at this point, so it's just about what's best in terms of timing one or two months of it (probably not consecutive).

I have three characters (captain, champion, guardian -- yes, you can tell I like heavy armor :P), so I guess one way to do it is to take them all into the low 30s, open up VIP for a month, and use the time to have them all Moria ready (with possibly another VIP month to do crafting guilds and take them to level cap where necessary).

I guess any thoughts on this would be welcome, since I'm a bit unsure how to go about this.

Well, I don't plan on maintaining subscription at this point, so it's just about what's best in terms of timing one or two months of it (probably not consecutive).

I have three characters (captain, champion, guardian -- yes, you can tell I like heavy armor :P), so I guess one way to do it is to take them all into the low 30s, open up VIP for a month, and use the time to have them all Moria ready (with possibly another VIP month to do crafting guilds and take them to level cap where necessary).

I guess any thoughts on this would be welcome, since I'm a bit unsure how to go about this.
    This should be possible, depending on how much time you have during those months (I might recommend buying VIP in a 3-month increment for $30 instead of just one month for $15). Evendim was revamped last year, making it very easy to level from 30 to 40 in just that zone. And it's really fast. You can probably do the whole area in a couple days. If you don't want to do this while VIP, you can also purchase Evendim with Turbine Points when it goes on sale. It will be useful for all your characters you might start in the future.

For the Trollshaws, there aren't a ton of quests, but there are a few in certain short level ranges. At level 32, there are a few quests at Barachen's camp. At a certain point, the quest chain here turns into a full fellowship quest chain, so you will need to team up with some friends to complete it on level. At level 35ish, you can do some quests in Rivendell. There is a quest chain starting with Bilbo Baggins inside the Last Homely House, and it is pretty fun. Around level 36-37, there are a few quests at Thorenhad. These aren't all that exciting, but they are doable solo. Then at 40 I suggest you try to do all of the quests in Tal Bruinen (at Echad Candelleth). These quests are quite fun. The quest to kill 4 trolls requires a group, but the rest are soloable. Also, they award a nice 3-piece gear set.

Don't forget the epic quests. Book 3 (meant for level 35) is in the North Downs, and it is pretty quick. Book 4 (37-40) is in the Trollshaws. Book 5 takes you to the Misty Mountains at level 40-41.

At level 39, make sure to purchase the 3 Legendary Books from your class trainer to start earning your legendary traits. They send you to talk to someone in Rivendell, and then you need to collect pages that randomly drop from humanoid mobs in the Misty Mountains, Forochel, Angmar, Eregion, and Moria. Mobs in the Misty Mountains and Forochel will drop half of the pages; mobs in Angmar and Eregion will drop the other half. Mobs in Moria can drop any, but you should be long finished by the time you get there.

If you are VIP, I recommend doing as many quests as you can from the Gloin's camp hub in the Misty Mountains after you have finished the Echad Candelleth quests in the Trollshaws. You can do these concurrently with Book 5.

Book 6 is in Angmar for the mid-40s, but it isn't really hard under level (maybe do it at 42 or 43). If you are VIP, you can do a bunch of Angmar quests in the low-40s without too much agony. After that, they start to require a group, and groups can be tough to find in Angmar because not too many people like to quest there nowadays.

If you can get to 45, then you can do the Volume 2 book 1 epic quest for your legendary items in Eregion. This is pretty easy at 45, and it doesn't spoil the story for Volume 1 at all. Also, at 45 you can pick up a class quest to earn the aforementioned IDOME trait. This should get you to 46.

At this point you ought to be able to run through Eregion, which should get you 2 to 3 levels.

Then in the high 40s, you can do as many epic quests as you want. The rest of Volume 1 is meant for 48-51 and there are a ton of quests, and they are all free!

So, since you don't have all the zones now, the tricky part is between 32 and 45. If you want to get a VIP account for those levels, it should work just fine. If not, I recommend buying Evendim and Angmar, but beware that you might hate Angmar because it can be quite unfriendly to solo players after you move to its eastern half.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post
    At a certain point, the quest chain here turns into a full fellowship quest chain, so you will need to team up with some friends to complete it on level.
    Weren't these revamped? I've ran into a couple of quests in the main line where I can get "inspiration" (typically buffing me from ~1600 to about 8k morale), so I assume these are full fellowship quests that were altered for solo play.

Thanks for the rest of the hints, they are useful. While I'm still bringing up my champion and guardian (low 20s right now), I've pretty much hit a stone wall with the captain at 35. I've done the main quest line all the way to Glorfindel's stone, as well as some quests in Barachen's camp and Thorenhand. Also finished the quest line with Bilbo in Rivendell, that was a lot of fun.

The problem is, I've hit a spot where pretty much all remaining quests in Barachen's Camp and in Thorenhand ask me to go into areas with heavy troll presence, and can't take the trolls on-level. Turns out, I can't take Garth Agarwen solo either (neither the outside part, nor the instance), even if I outlevel them by ~3 levels. I guess grouping in GA may bring in some XP (I've got about a dozen of quests to finish there), but I doubt it will fill the entire gap you're talking about. And not being in a kinship doesn't help, either.

I assume it may be possible to do trolls easily (I manage to take one to half or 40% of his life) if I was able to slot the full set of virtues (more mitigations, therefore more survivability). However, if I unlock my characters, I'll also have access to the extra quests for a month, so that point is kind of moot.

Also, I just got myself SoA boxed edition for ~$7 (and it comes with 1 month VIP), so I will use this before considering purchasing straingth VIP time. And even then, I may go out and get a boxed Moria for the extra perks (even if I have the quests already from the Mithril Edition).

I guess I'm rambling -- I should stop now

If you look back at the post i quoted i added a section vis a vis your situation while you where still typing the reply to it. EDIT screwed me up when i realised i'd forgotten it and it took a little while to add as a result .

The hardest part here is that Forochel and Evendim are very loaded with deeds. if your going to skip Misty Mountains and Angmar you really need those for the virtues if you want to do serious endgame grouping. The chance that you could get several characters through those and complete those deeds all within a couple of month's isn't high. Saving your in game TP's and getting them really is advised.

Weren't these revamped? I've ran into a couple of quests in the main line where I can get "inspiration" (typically buffing me from ~1600 to about 8k morale), so I assume these are full fellowship quests that were altered for solo play.
    Thats the Epic quests stuff which has nothing to do with the rest .
    Last edited by Darth_Carl; Sep 11 2012 at 01:46 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3