We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    One of the things that got cut from the original Fellowship of the Ring movie was a scene where the Lorien Elves kill a bunch of Goblins (as they do in the book). I think I'm right in thinking it was one of the earliest sequences shot (the extended edition segment with the Fellowship arguing with Haldir was also done really early), so it may well have been sub-par.

However, from the stills I've seen it would have been a far better "showcase" for the Elves than their Hornburg red-shirt period.

Still, we've just got to be grateful that like Sauron at the Gates, Arwen at Helm's Deep ended up getting cut.

Quote Originally Posted by sarlinspellweaver View Post
    their Hornburg red-shirt period.
    That's a pretty accurate way of describing it!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Can't take credit for it Nymphonic - I was inspired by Wiedman's earlier use of it:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiedman View Post
    ...immortal superhumans into pointy eared redshirts.

Gibraltar where the apes are smarter than the people!
    FINGOLFIN?! Y U NO KEEP CALM?!

Seriously, after his death, the Elves were practically doomed. They had a chance with him on the throne at least.

Hmm...

DWARVES?! Y U SO GREEDY?!

Don't go deeper no... yep, they went deeper (that's what she said, giggity)

THORIN?! Y U SO BALLSY?!

Charging into an army with twelves dudes by your side is not the best of plans.

THEODEN?! Y U NO MOVE?!

I can't recall if it's exactly like the movies, or if he was pounced by a fell-beast, but why did he have to die! ><

PIPIN?! Y U TOUCH STUFF?!

A lot more would have gone smoother if that fool of a Took didn't start throwing stuff into the well.

TURIN?! Y U SO &&&&&?!

Well... I don't blame him, he didn't know. And by all accounts his sis was hot.

EASTERLINGS?! Y U CHEAT ELVES?!

If only... man that chapter is hard to read. Everything after that I skip. Reading the Silmarillion when the &&&& hits the fan is like getting punched in the gut multiple times.

UNGOLIANT?! Y U NO EAT MORGOTH?!

Would have saved us a lot of trouble. And I doubt the Valar would have much trouble with her.

And last of all...

MEGLIAN! Y U SO BITCHY ><

That bloody Dark Elf brood son of a wandering &&&&&! He deserves a meme.

"I don't always get jelous

But when I do, I &&&& my entire people."

Quote Originally Posted by Floin View Post
    UNGOLIANT?! Y U NO EAT MORGOTH?!

Would have saved us a lot of trouble. And I doubt the Valar would have much trouble with her.
    If she'd eaten Morgoth and the Silmarils along with him then I doubt she'd have stopped there. Tulkas was being useless ('... as one caught in a black net at night, and he stood powerless and beat the air in vain') so things could have gotten really ugly. OM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

So we might be better off asking TULKAS! WHY U NO SEE IN DARK?

Oh, and another one from later on, while I'm here: THINGOL! WHY U NO PAY DWARVES?

Gibraltar where the apes are smarter than the people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    If she'd eaten Morgoth and the Silmarils along with him then I doubt she'd have stopped there. Tulkas was being useless ('... as one caught in a black net at night, and he stood powerless and beat the air in vain') so things could have gotten really ugly. OM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

So we might be better off asking TULKAS! WHY U NO SEE IN DARK?

Oh, and another one from later on, while I'm here: THINGOL! WHY U NO PAY DWARVES?
    Ungoliant, the eight legged pacman xD

Finwë, few shiny stones are not worth it! Go keep your son in check!

Fëanor, dont be greedy, leave some balrogs for others!

Ok Gandalf.......The balrog fell down the chasm. Start walking or better yet running right NOW!

No Frodo, don't wait so long to leave the Shire. Just go now.

Quote Originally Posted by snpr_117 View Post
    Ok Gandalf.......The balrog fell down the chasm. Start walking or better yet running right NOW!
    Oh,c'mon i always knew he wouldn't die!Plus we wouldn't get Gandalf the White!

Gandalf knew what he was doing. He couldn't just leave a Balrog hanging around in the middle of Middle earth.

FEANOR! Y U NO WAIT FOR VALAR?!

THINGOL! Y U SO GREEDY?!

TURIN! Y U (insert act here)?!

MAEGLIN! Y U WANT BANG COUSIN?!

THORIN! Y U LEEROY JENKINS?!

BUTTERBUR! Y U NO MAIL LETTER?!

PIPPIN! Y U (insert act here)?!

DENETHOR! Y U LOOK IN PALANTIR?!

SAM! Y U NO PUSH SHAGRAT OFF ROOF?!

NO Pete! don't get rid of Bambadil! Ug and give the lines to treebeard. He doesn't hop nearly enough. SOOOO should have casted Jonny Depp as Bombadil.

No!! Gandalf don't believe what the mouth of Sauron is saying!! he works for the dark lord!

Dude, sauron, gonna taunt the man that's destined to end you and win by threatening to kill his girlfriend? Not a good idea... mess with the bull get the horns.

lol No Viggo! don't step in front o the costume designer's only cameo in the movie!!

HURIN!
    Shut up and don't make Morgoth put a curse on your family!
    Shut up and don't give away Gondolin's location!
    Don't take the Nauglamir, just kill the dwarf!

TURIN!
    Stop being so proud and destroy the bridge!
    Don't marry your sister!
    Leave the sword in the dragon!
    Don't listen to your sword, it's EVIL!

NINIEL!
    Don't throw yourself in the Teiglin, wait and you'll see everybody in your family!

TUOR!
    Talk to your cousin, don't take him as a stranger near a lake!

MAEGLIN!
    Don't listen to Morgoth, he always lies!

Everybody in Gondolin!
    Don't have a party while Morgoth is attacking you!

FRODO!
    Try to find out who Tom really is!
    Don't leave all that gold from the barrow there, take it!

PIPPIN!
    JUST SHUT UP AND DON"T DO ANYTHING STUPID!

A pretty big one for me -
    Maglor, please don't listen to Maedhros; return to Valinor and you can be the only Son of Feanor who redeems himself

No turin she is your sister!

No agagorn she is your cousin!
    Fallenhalo lvl75 hunter / Dropdee lvl 75 mini /Takeheart lvl70 captain / Strykingshot lvl 75 champ

Eatininchina warg / Youkilledkenny BA

Quote Originally Posted by fallenhalo View Post

Technically, Arwen would be Aragorn's great-great-great-great-great(etc) Aunt.

But yeah, I share your sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenhalo View Post

To be fair to Aragorn, she's his first cousin at least 40 times removed on his dad's side.

How about, "no Aragorn, she's over 2500 years older than you!"

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    Technically, Arwen would be Aragorn's great-great-great-great-great(etc) Aunt.

But yeah, I share your sentiment.
    Elrond and Elros were brothers, so that would make Arwen and Tar Amandil (and his brothers) Arwen's cousins. Aragorn is distantly, diiistaantly descended from them, so that makes him her cousin many many many times removed.

I doubt it's even incest at that point... Doubt.

Elrond would be Aragorn's greatn uncle.
    Last edited by Curandhras; Sep 05 2012 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curandhras View Post
    Elrond and Elros were brothers, so that would make Arwen and Tar Amandil (and his brothers) Arwen's cousins. Aragorn is distantly, diiistaantly descended from them, so that makes him her cousin many many many times removed.

I doubt it's even incest at that point... Doubt.

Elrond would be Aragorn's greatn uncle.
    I see, in that case it has a different name in english than I thought. Where I live, Arwen would be the cousin of Tar Amandil, but she would be their aunt once removed to his children, after which she would become the great-aunt once removed of their children, and then great-great aunt, and so on.

I'm glad I know a bit more about that now, a day is wasted if one hasn't learned something new.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    I see, in that case it has a different name in english than I thought. Where I live, Arwen would be the cousin of Tar Amandil, but she would be their aunt once removed to his children, after which she would become the great-aunt once removed of their children, and then great-great aunt, and so on.

I'm glad I know a bit more about that now, a day is wasted if one hasn't learned something new.
    Ah fair enough. To be fair I only think I'm right in saying Arwen would be cousin then cousin once removed and so on in England at least, although I could be wrong. Extended family organisation systems have never been my thing

Quote Originally Posted by snpr_117 View Post
    For some reason this moment in the movie really annoys me. It has a pro-wrestling feel to it.

Anyway:

Elrond, you're going to let Merry and Pippin go with the Fellowship. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Curandhras View Post
    Ah fair enough. To be fair I only think I'm right in saying Arwen would be cousin then cousin once removed and so on in England at least, although I could be wrong. Extended family organisation systems have never been my thing
    You're right. I had to explain this to my wife and kids when we watched LOTR. Arwen would be Elros' niece, therefore, first cousin to Vardamir, Elros' son. After that, every descendant of Vardamir would be a first cousin +1 removed. Quick count, I come up with 1st cousin 43 times removed. (like I said, quick count. I might be off a couple)

and as for things I wish....Feanor's hubris. While it drove him to do great things, it also drove him to horrible things.

Isildur, just throw it into the fire!

Ar-Pharazôn, just cut Sauron's head while you can!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast