We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking Things you wish never happened

(Spoilers here for some)
    Every time I re-read the books, there are always some things I keep (futilely) hoping that never happened. Sometimes I find myself thinking stuff like:

- C'mon hobbits, don't shoot Wormtongue, give him a chance to become a good guy!

- Run faster Aragorn! Boromir is in danger!

- Stay back Gwindor, for god's sake, don't leeroy jenkins into the hosts of Angband
    - Let Gwindor die, Fingon. Oh come on, why did you have to charge with him?
    - Easterlings, just don't switch sides, you still have a shot at winning
    - Dammit, Hurin, run!

And so on (You can imagine how many of these I have for the story of Turin Turambar )

So, which are the moments in the book where you find yourself screaming "Don't do it!"?

-Come on Saruman, just leave Isengard and help Gandalf
    _(and of course)Frodo, Don't put on the ring when there are five Nazgul in front of you

C'mon Radagast, don't let Saruman pull the wool over your eyes.

And ... C'mon Denethor, Faramir's still alive. Chill the heck out!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/062050000000188f7/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    [url=http://www.hostmerchantservices.com/articles/]Articles I write[/url]
    [url=http://www.hostmerchantservices.com/blog/]My blog[/url]

How about "PIPPIN!" over and over again!

I loved doing the quests to help the hobbits get ready in Rivendell.

My list is entitled "one drink too many":

Frodo in the prancing pony.

Brego before walking the paths of the dead.

Gallion the butler....

Probably the characters more than me wish the results of their drinking never happened.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

Sam, remember the rope and you won't have to worry about being hung on one as a warning to numbskulls!

Butterbur, mail Gandalf's damn letter!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Peter Jackson, no! Don't send those Elves to the Hornburg!
    [CENTER][I][FONT=georgia]"Never laugh at live dragons"[/FONT][/I]
    [/CENTER]

The kinslaying.
    Turin killing Beleg by mistake.

Amroth going for a swim, this one realy puzzles me, why an immortal elf risked life and limb because his girlfriend misses the boat, maybe she will catch then next boat Amroth, you dill, who made this clutz king?, maybe I dont regret this, maybe Lorien was better off without a ruler who abandoned his people because his girlfriend was scared of the Balrog.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001019a8/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

In the cupboard under the stairs. (or is it under the stalls?)
    Bilbo, practice pickpocketing on something other than a troll!
    "Just like Mary Shelly, Just like Frankenstein, Break your chains, And count your change, And try to walk the line"

Quote Originally Posted by Curandhras View Post
    At the risk of being lynched I actually like that bit

I heard somewhere that Jackson drew from the movie Zulu for inspiration with his portrayal of Helm's Deep. In Zulu, there's a scene where some cavalry show up, and it looks like the defenders are going to get a little help. The cavalry get out of dodge as quick as they can, and the scene pulls the rug out from under the viewer, ratcheting up the tension.

My point is, Jackson could have had some Elves show up out of nowhere, and then had them go on their way to defend their own forests. It would have been more faithful to the books (although obviously not perfect), and it would have helped build the tension before the fight. Instead, the inclusion of Elves winds up making no sense (how did they make it all the way from Lorien that fast?), and turns immortal superhumans into pointy eared redshirts.

Sorry for the threadjack. Back to the topic:

-Anybody believing Melkor or Sauron when they claim repentance. It's like a running gag that everyone from the Valar to the Numenoreans fall for these two-faced liars.

Quote Originally Posted by dek153 View Post
    At the risk of being lynched I actually like that bit

It was one of the few cases where I wish that would have been added in the book.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    It was one of the few cases where I wish that would have been added in the book.
    Wch book, Harry Potter?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    It would turn the "symbolic stand of men against Saruman" and their heroic struggle against the odds into:

And Lo! The Men of Rohan did watch as the Elves won the battle for them.

It's kind of cool in the film, I admit. Has no place in the story though.
    [CENTER][I][FONT=georgia]"Never laugh at live dragons"[/FONT][/I]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by the.undying View Post
    Wch book, Harry Potter?
    Alice in Wonderland of course, not Harry Potter. Duh!

It would turn the "symbolic stand of men against Saruman" and their heroic struggle against the odds into:

And Lo! The Men of Rohan did watch as the Elves won the battle for them.

It's kind of cool in the film, I admit. Has no place in the story though.
    You have a very valid point and I'm wrong for wishing it was in the books. But I still think it was cool to see it in the film.

Hahaha...ah......aw........ Haldir.

I've not yet read the books, though I should just for that alone, so I can continue to imagine Haldir of Lorien scouting the forests and one day passing across the sea to the Undying Lands with his brethren.
    Last edited by Eirien; Aug 10 2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Fixed spacing bug.
    Uninstalled this expac. Be back later?

No, Theoden! Don't ride so far out in front of the other Rohirrim!
    Turin! What are you doing! Your mother is safe in Doriath, go back!
    Frodo! You' e gone mad! Mordor isn't safe, run back to Sam!
    Gandalf! Boromir will only be a problem later. Leave him to distract Durin's Bane and get the hell out!
    Treebeard! Don't let the Entwives wander off from you :'(
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/202240000002126b0/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Geindir View Post
    Turin! What are you doing! Your mother is safe in Doriath, go back!
    Let's face it, there are a lot of Oh noes! Don't do that! moments in that tale o_0

No (pick a dwarf company)! Stop going back into Moria! Your whole company will die! I mean, what's the point of one dwarf getting out to warn the rest, if they're just going to keep sending in more to die?
    Mamakas - L80 Minstrel(Gladden), Izora - L55 Guardian(Riddermark)

Ah. yes Jackson's elves at Helm's Deep.

Story wise - I hate it! How come Rivendell sent a Lothlorien captain seeing as it's even made clear in the movies that it was Elrond's decision. How come this group of ancient, creative creatures marched in unison like a bunch of shaven-headed US army recruits? I imagined the elves as more individual, even more so than humans, given their society and age. Also, a 100 or so of Lothlorien's Wardens would go through hoards of Uruks like a hot knife through butter. He missed an opportunity to show the other side, the savage side, of elven power.

Acceptance - Jackson read the appendices and realised that the Elves were fighting Sauron with everything they had - on the front with Dol Guldur. As Dol Guldur isn't in the movies he transplanted them to the most appropriate battle, and they clearly are a superior force. Also, Haldir's death - to me at least - really emoted the sacrifice they were making, ancient immortal creatures willing to stand by man and die like them, simply out of their innate goodness.

The deep bit - More than that I think Haldir's death is Jackson's nod to a reflection of Tolkein's experience of war. We see Haldir die through Aragorn's eyes, Aragorn has to watch as his life slips away stacked on a pile of bodies just below the rampart. I wonder how many times did Tolkein see this scene in the trenches of WWI... and how must it feel to a humanitarian like Tolkein*? Even just one man dying, no matter how noble the cause, is still a tragic loss to his countless family and friends,

*If anyone wants to wonder if Tolkein's experience in WWI formed his views as a humanitarian I would remind you that, patriot and anti&&&&& that he was; during WWII he was he very vocally disapproved of allied bombing strategies in Europe and was equally horrified by the dropping of the atomic bomb - at a time when very few people had it left in them to consider the capacity of suffering for 'the enemy'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien#Views

Edit: German Fascists in power during WWII was censored to &&&&. Starts with N, ends in i. Not a slur in context.
    Last edited by Lainalagos; Aug 11 2012 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Bilbo, practice pickpocketing on something other than a troll!
    +Rep for that.

@topic:
    No Turin, don't marry your sister!
    No Frodo, don't trust Gollum!
    No Gandalf, don't just stand there after Durins Bane falls, you better run off!
    Aiya, Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!
    Don't mind some bad english.

I'd say pretty much the entire history of Turin falls into this category.

Some others are:

"Thorin! What do you think you're doing, collapsing your own defenses, and charging with a 12 man army?!?"
    "Balin! What's so important in the Mirromere?!? Look ou--too late."

I also wish Tolkien hadn't stopped working on the Geste of Beren and Luthien before it was finished...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000094dc4/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I can imagine Bilbo or Frodo staying at home and not going on any adventures and ending up like this:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast