We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Cool The Hobbit (Thoughts)

I just started reading The Hobbit the other day and I am now on the Third Chapter! (About to start it!) And for two chapters of any book, what great chapters they were! It didn't take long for the main adventure to start and the action came in at the right time! After reading the first few chapters and watching the Trailer for the new movie, I can't help but not to wait for the coming months when I finish the book and afterwards when the movie comes out!

I know I shouldn't judge a book by the first two chapters but that theory isn't going to ruin the book for me the way I want to enjoy it! Even if the movie adaptation is not as good as the book (Which is the case most of the times) I am not loosing faith in Jackson cause he did a great job with LOTR!

Without giving any of the story away, if you were that impressed with the first two chapters your going to love the rest of the book

I just recently read it for the first time and I really enjoyed it. I like the idea that the Hobbit movies will be split into a trilogy beause they can add more detail from the book that way.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/012030000001430cb/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I can at least tell you that the end climax isn't any worse than it was in Lotr. Different, but still great.
    'There now the numbers of Eldar increase,' Voronwë said, 'for ever more flee thither of either kin from the fear of Morgoth, weary of war.'

In Laurelin - Lover of Tolkien's lore

Although slightly offtopic, I have mixed feelings about the recent announcement that The Hobbit movies will be made into a trilogy. According to the article I read, Peter Jackson is using information from the appendices to expand The Hobbit movie into three releases.

I don't think there is enough content for three movies using The Hobbit as the basic story so Jackson's use of the appendices smacks more of someone wanting to make a little more money. It's OK to make money but I hope he doesn't stretch things too far in the interest of expanding the movie release to a trilogy. If it is done properly and with attention to the lore then I will enjoy the additional movie. If it is an obvious attempt to squeeze more profit from the topic at the expense of the main story then I will be disappointed.

Re: The Hobbit (thoughts)

I read the Hobbit and let me tell you this, you will really enjoy the rest of the book if your already liking it.

I can't wait for the movie!:-)

The Hobbit is a book that gets better every new page. It's true magic.

I absolutely love that book. Poor Bilbo, racing out of his front door without second breakfast or any handkerchiefs.

I just love how he was all timid and ended up taking charge.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Dunford View Post
    Although slightly offtopic, I have mixed feelings about the recent announcement that The Hobbit movies will be made into a trilogy. According to the article I read, Peter Jackson is using information from the appendices to expand The Hobbit movie into three releases.

I don't think there is enough content for three movies using The Hobbit as the basic story so Jackson's use of the appendices smacks more of someone wanting to make a little more money. It's OK to make money but I hope he doesn't stretch things too far in the interest of expanding the movie release to a trilogy. If it is done properly and with attention to the lore then I will enjoy the additional movie. If it is an obvious attempt to squeeze more profit from the topic at the expense of the main story then I will be disappointed.
    I tend to agree. The material in the appendices is mainly (not completely) broad narrative, with very little dialogue, so Jackson and his screenwriters will have to flesh it out with their own words. The LotR movies were at their best when they incorporated Tolkien's own words, at their weakest when they "made stuff up".

My two pence.
    Mornawen "Molly" Bayberry
    Assistant Archivist of Bree, Landroval server
    Kinswoman of The Lonely Mountain Band

I'm pretty sure Jackson will do a fairly good job. As long as he doesn't attempt to create another terrible love story he'll to great.
    The Arwen Aragorn thing was really the one big issue that I had with Lotr.
    PvE Hunter for Life

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg987 View Post
    I just recently read it for the first time and I really enjoyed it.
    It was amazing. I too, just finished it recently and since then I have loved Dwarves and Hobbits. ^_^. You loved the first two chapters... you'll LOVE the rest!

I haven't got my book in yet I can't wait for it though!

I love the book, and how there's more humorous moments in it than in the LOTR Trilogy. I actually think that the Hobbit book was better than the Lord of the Rings books (probably due to the fact that Tolkien wrote those over a series of years, and in bursts at that).

As for the Hobbit movie trilogy, I actually think this is a good idea. In the Hobbit book, things were still going on around the Dwarves and Bilbo, things that weren't explored in the Hobbit book, but were somewhat in the appendices. As for the narrative, they kinda went off in another direction. They didn't remove some of the coolest lines, which I liked, but they changed who spoke them, in some cases, or changed who made what decision and when that decision was made, so I'm not too concerned about what Jackson will do to the events that transpired around the events in the Hobbit I just hope that they actually focus on them cause that would connect everything pretty good.
    All men die; Few men ever really LIVE

I just got my books delivered today and have read a chapter and I am almost through the second, the book is truly incredible and really is a great read.

I actually think that to make a trilogy out of the Hobbit + Appendicies ist a good idea.

When you just list the events of the Hobbit, it comes pretty close to LotR, just with the difference that Tolkien wrote everything much less fleshed out.

We do not know yet exactly how PJ will split it (so the following is only my idea), but when you think about it (SPOILERS):

Un UNEXPECTED JOURNEY

Shire storyline
    Journey, including the Trolls
    Rivendell
    Goblin Attack and Goblin Town
    Riddle Game
    Attack by Wargs and Goblins, rescue by eagles
    (Plus: quite a bit of explaining and flashbacks, like Gandalf entering Dol Guldur and getting Thrain's Map, Bilbo starting to tell Frodo the story)

THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG

Sauron driven out of Dol Guldur by the White Council (not sure when they will include that, prob part II, but it happens around the same time that Bilbo gets the Ring in July 2941. Yet, I think they will move it to part II for pacing reasons)
    Beorn
    Mirkwood and Spiders
    Dungeons of Thranduil
    Lake-town
    Secret Door
    Bard slays Smaug

THERE AND BACK AGAIN

Dwarves take Erebor
    Bilbo finds Arkenstone
    Siege of Erebor by Elves and Men
    Banishment of Bilbo
    Fruitless Negotiations
    Gandalf's Reappearance
    Battle of the Five Armies
    Dain becoming King / Dale reestablished
    Journey Home

So, in a lot of ways the Hobbit has a similar three-volume structure that LotR also - kind of - had.

The first movie would be a road movie similar to FotR, the second one would start as a road movie and then turn into the dark dragon movie with a lot of destruction, similar to how Two Towers started road-movieish again and then built up the tension of Helm's Deep.

The last one, then, offers the great possibility to let the free people stand against each other for once, a lot of frustration and hopelessness before the grande finale, again similar to the pace of RotK.

So I actually think there is enough in the story to make this into an epic trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arannir View Post
    Sauron driven out of Dol Guldur by the White Council (not sure when they will include that, prob part II, but it happens around the same time that Bilbo gets the Ring in July 2941.
    Not quite: it happens after Gandalf bids them farewell at the edge of Mirkwood. It's what he gets up to while he's away.

I think it's reasonable to make a trilogy out of the Hobbit. I think one thing Peter Jackson's will try to do is include more on how the Hobbit ties into LotR. After all, the death of Smaug, the massive goblin casualties at the Battle of Five Armies, and Sauron being driven from Dol Guldur were instrumental in the victory of the Free Peoples in the War of the Ring, but the necromancer and events surrounding him, were given very little attention in the Hobbit books.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e215000000094dc4/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

thoughts

I don't know how much PJ will add as "fluff" or plain stupidity not related with lore.

But I do know Guillermo del Toro ex-director for the hobbit planned it to be done in 2 movies, so for me making a trilogy out of the hobbit is too much film for the amount content to film.

Trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by Dunford View Post

Jackson's original plan was to do the Hobbit as a stand alone and follow with another "bridge-film" to fill in the years between the Hobbit and LOR. I never heard exactly what he wanted to use in the bridge, though Aragorn's early ventures would certainly qualify. I have heard even less since he announced a trilogy. I am hoping he will do with the available material, as well as he has so far.
    Why yes, I do remember the 1950's. Nuf said :)

I am hoping, in the movies, we get to see everything that went on behind the scenes during Bilbo's adventure. I would like to see some history and background on Erebor, Dol Guldur, etc. during the trilogy.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2621a0000001fff86/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by DarkIstar View Post
    I am hoping, in the movies, we get to see everything that went on behind the scenes during Bilbo's adventure. I would like to see some history and background on Erebor, Dol Guldur, etc. during the trilogy.
    We're definitely getting The White Council, that's why Christopher Lee is in it again. Dunno what else though.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2921d0000000484b3/01001/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]