We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Question Fishy, Very Fishy (Quest)

    Is there a special places to catch fishes? I know where to catch easy and simple fishes, but where should I try for "possible" fishes?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Arda
    Posts
    492
    They may all be caught in the same area.

    For my characters, I have to stop fishing for a little while between each division (easy/simple/possible/etc), or I keep getting the old division's fish. Usually just going to barter the fish and going back is enough time.
    Last edited by DEATHKNYGHT; Aug 05 2012 at 09:20 AM.

  3. #3
    Ah, that's explains a lot. Thanks!

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Gnomemansland View Post
    Try around Meluinen in the North Downs, I caught some exotics there.
    He's needing the festival fish which can only be caught around the festival area
    ?ª"˜¨¨?ª"˜¨¨ ¯ ¯¨¨˜ª¤.¸`*•.¸*•¸??? LOTRO???¸•*¸.•*´¸.¤ª˜¨¨¯ ¯¨¨˜"ª?¨¨˜"ª?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    921
    i've had to resort to logging out and in to start catching the next type of fish

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,092
    Has anyone completed this? I got to 6/10 on Tricky fish today. The last Tier is Unlikely Fish. Are you required to catch 10 of those as well?

    Thanks!
    Radian
    Radian- Champion- Landroval

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino-Man View Post
    Has anyone completed this? I got to 6/10 on Tricky fish today. The last Tier is Unlikely Fish. Are you required to catch 10 of those as well?
    The tooltip explanation for unlikely fish says you have the same chance of catching it as the bad fish. If that is actually true, then the chances of getting 10 of those in a row would be lower than 0.1%. I don't want to believe that. So I will assume you either have to catch 1 unlikely fish so it is 50/50 or the chances are not equal like the tooltip says.
    Yalras - Burglar
    Eldar to Evernight

  8. #8
    Between all my toons, I've got over 60 attempts at this quest and haven't got higher than 7 possible fishes. I look at it as a way to get more tokens (just keep fishing after I fail). Fishing for possibles gives you a token every time you cast the bait.

    I suppose maybe somebody's completed this quest. People win the lottery despite the odds on any one ticket, too. But I expect anybody who hopes for the title or to complete their quest list will be disappointed.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonwalkIntoMordor View Post
    The tooltip explanation for unlikely fish says you have the same chance of catching it as the bad fish. If that is actually true, then the chances of getting 10 of those in a row would be lower than 0.1%. I don't want to believe that. So I will assume you either have to catch 1 unlikely fish so it is 50/50 or the chances are not equal like the tooltip says.
    Even if the tooltip is wrong (not hard to believe - just remember the red task item message that appears on every mob junk item whether it is actually used for a task or not), the probability of getting 60 fish in a row is extremely low for even generous success rates. For somewhat realistic success rates, the chance of getting 60 fish is near impossible.

    Lets face it, either the dev for this quest intended for only 1 or 2 characters out of ALL the servers to finish this quest and get the title, or that dev spectacularly failed his probability calculations.

    We can hope for a mid-faire patch to fix it like they did for the bounder quest or hope they fix it for next year.

  10. #10
    They didn't fix it next year.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand 'Ole NY
    Posts
    444
    My highest attempt was 46/50. You know what that means; I was up to 6 unlikely fish.

    You'll never win if you don't play.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Peresbert View Post
    My highest attempt was 46/50. You know what that means; I was up to 6 unlikely fish.

    You'll never win if you don't play.
    "A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

  13. #13
    It's 2015, the fourth edition of the farmer's faire. Has anyone ever been able to complete this?

    As also stated in this thread, given that you reach the fifth stage, your chance of succesfully completing the quest is 1/1024. Well in four years, I haven't even gotten to the fifth stage yet!

    It isn't fun anymore and I propose that your fishing skill will have an influence on the outcome instead of purely luck. If that's too difficult to implement, turbine can also just change the chance to catch the bad fish. That's editing one number, I don't care anymore at this point.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Still lost
    Posts
    475
    It is hardly a waste of time, since you can barter the fish for tokens.
    Keep calm, and snuggle.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Nydhogg View Post
    It's 2015, the fourth edition of the farmer's faire. Has anyone ever been able to complete this?

    As also stated in this thread, given that you reach the fifth stage, your chance of succesfully completing the quest is 1/1024. Well in four years, I haven't even gotten to the fifth stage yet!

    It isn't fun anymore and I propose that your fishing skill will have an influence on the outcome instead of purely luck. If that's too difficult to implement, turbine can also just change the chance to catch the bad fish. That's editing one number, I don't care anymore at this point.
    Well, I think I reached 4th stage just once in four years...
    Any dev can check and tell us if anyone have completed this quest(and how many if more than 1)? I doubt anyone was lucky enough tbh...
    This is a quest where fishing skill should improve your chance of success, let's say probability to complete should be at least 5% with fishing maxed and +5 fishing rod. Also using famous Erebrandir's horseshoe should let's say double your chances! I believe it's hardest solo quest in whole Lotro...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirbel View Post
    It is hardly a waste of time, since you can barter the fish for tokens.
    It is waste of time if you do it for tokens, there are much more efficient ways to get tokens, like mushroom hunting...

  17. #17
    This quest is purely and simply designed to check each server's population of gullible suckers.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Khoblún Utot, Enedwaith
    Posts
    415

    Thumbs down

    Confirmed as of Wednesday, August 31st, 2016 - This Quest/Deed is still un-obtainable.
    I have also spoken with several ''hardcore'' festival-goers and nobody has finished this.
    @Cordovon, please have Devs look into fixing this. This isn't fun.
    Many many years, many many frustrated players...
    I am astonished that this type of mechanic was created and added to a casual gameplay setting.
    ~ The Hobgoblin

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    You can't prove this is unobtainable. Just because you can't find anyone who's beaten it? It's just very very difficult and intentionally so. Can't fix something if it isn't broken. Just think of it as another repeatable quest to earn tokens and ignore the potential title.

    That said, the title might become semi-realistic if after getting the first 10 fish, your progress was saved and the next time you could start from the second tier of fish, on up to the final tier.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoch View Post
    Confirmed as of Wednesday, August 31st, 2016 - This Quest/Deed is still un-obtainable.
    I have also spoken with several ''hardcore'' festival-goers and nobody has finished this.
    @Cordovon, please have Devs look into fixing this. This isn't fun.
    Many many years, many many frustrated players...
    I am astonished that this type of mechanic was created and added to a casual gameplay setting.
    I agree with Skoch!

    Please, Cordovan, confirm this is working as intended after all these years.

    Plus, I actually would love this title. I think Radian, Amazing Angler kind of fits......
    Radian- Champion- Landroval

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    You can't prove this is unobtainable. Just because you can't find anyone who's beaten it? It's just very very difficult and intentionally so. Can't fix something if it isn't broken. Just think of it as another repeatable quest to earn tokens and ignore the potential title.

    That said, the title might become semi-realistic if after getting the first 10 fish, your progress was saved and the next time you could start from the second tier of fish, on up to the final tier.
    Did you take a look at the probabilities (as presented here)

    Of course we cannot prove it's unobtainable, but we could prove that it is extremely unlikely.

    and let us assume the chance to be successful at this quest is x%, you get 16 chances per year to finish that quest....
    if x is 10%, it would result in an ~80% chance to finish the quest at least once during the festival.
    if x is 1%, it would result in an ~15% chance to finish the quest.
    if x is 0.1%, it would result in an ~1.5% chance to finish the quest.
    according to my current observation x is about 0.000002%, the chance to finish the quest at least once per festival is: 0.00000004% which I would let slip as impossible.

  22. #22
    that would be classed as nearly impossible, not totally impossible. There are a couple of assumptions made that may or may not be true - it could be (although quite unlikely) that wearing a particular piece or pieces of gear (such as festival cosmetics or a particular fishing rod) change the chance of catching the fish, just that no one has found out about it. Or maybe where you fish can have an effect. Can't really see any way of knowing for certain without a dev commentating on it.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoch View Post
    @Cordovon, please have Devs look into fixing this. This isn't fun.
    Many many years, many many frustrated players...
    I am astonished that this type of mechanic was created and added to a casual gameplay setting.
    I fully agree. The quest upsets completionists. If you add something to the game, make it completable. Make it depend on players and their skill. It's frustrating to be unable to affect the outcome of what you are doing.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload