We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Housing needs a "real purpose'

As a long time player i know we all scratch our heads in bewilderment at what player owned housing is and isnt and should be. Here are my thoughts and probably some have beeen posted many times before.

housing shouldnt be just fluff or a place to store "stuff" it need a more player freindly environement so wht i think it needs are the following

1 stables to the major game town hubs
    2 external housing paints
    3 flower boxes/small gardens
    4. enhanced rested xp if your levelable characters inside the house itself(i know rested xp is a vip thingy but still)
    5. housing decoration events with rewards
    6. get to know your neighbors parties(offical and with rewards ie door prizes) this would be per server and per development
    7. enabling of light crafting( i know .. they want players to use the towns for this but i find it strange that a cook cant cook in their own home nor can a tailor sew a stitch nor a scholor study)

I agree wholeheartedly. And crafting in towns is not all it's cracked up to be anyway. The number of times I have seen in kin chat that players are having trouble crafting because of the lag from so many players in a small area is ridiculous. Bree is just terrible for that, at least the Shire/Thorin's/Celendim is nowhere near as bad, but Bree is a place to avoid if at all possible as it becomes lag-city at certain times. It is also a real pain to get to from your house when you need stuff from the chests.

It may not be wise to give everyhouse crafting areas, but surely Kinhouses should be able to have them?
    Last edited by podgie_bear; Aug 02 2012 at 11:53 AM.

agree

It would be nice if there was a way to make housing more functional than just a place to drop some money and festival items. It would be a blast if they could borrow some concepts like CoH/CoV or DAoC where your house/base can actually be used to carft, sell, repair, port or basically turn your house into it's own liittle city.

Don't get me wrong - our kin house is awesome and my personal house was fun to decorate. Lotro has some beautiful graphics and it shows on just simple yard decorations!

Game On!

Ratt

I'd love houses to have added functions! About the suggestions you made:
    1. Excellent idea. So far I've only been in the Shire, Ered Luin and Bree-land, but seen the great distances in the future, it would be good to have stables. After all, return home/house/kinhouse has a cooldown time
    2. This would be great! It's an excellent to make your house more personal. Right now it's..... quite standard.
    3. What exactly do you mean with flowerboxes? Cause there is already a large flowerbed. And there are some flowerboxes too (Orange, Purple). Would you like to have more of them?
    4. It's an interesting option! I guess Turbine will go for the option to have it for vip players. Don't know if it's technically doable, but that's up to Turbine
    5. I like this! I do think, though, that the housing furniture system needs to be revamped for that. Instead of static hooks, I'd go for a system where we can place anything we want. I've played several games where you can do exactly that and it makes for far more personal houses! And with housing events it would be great if we could make our house as personal as possible.
    6. Love the idea!
    7. I always wondered that here and in other games as well! I know of one game where you can actual craft just about anything (including weirdly enough large ships) in your house/tent. I could imagine a system that's a bit more realistic, i.e. where you can craft something that actually fits in your house, but cooking, tailoring, scholarship and such are ideal to do in your house/garden. After all, why not study on your comfortable bench in the garden?

Like I said, intriguing! I really hope Turbine can do something with these ideas!
    Country: Netherlands, Current Server: Nimrodel. Future server: Landroval
    Sheherezi's an Eastemnet Cook & Farmer

flower boxes attached to the external windows and while i have some wishful thoughts why not have at the very last 1 way windows where we can look out of our house and see whats outside.

For those of us who have houses in some areas wouldnt it be nice to have a backyard deck or a dock perhaps a door and a balcony or two to stand on and look at our settlement from.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandellia View Post
    flower boxes attached to the external windows and while i have some wishful thoughts why not have at the very last 1 way windows where we can look out of our house and see whats outside.

For those of us who have houses in some areas wouldnt it be nice to have a backyard deck or a dock perhaps a door and a balcony or two to stand on and look at our settlement from.
    In my neighborhood, I have the Bree house that's on the piece of land that juts into the pond/lake. I would LOVE a dock there!

Housing doesn't need to be more functional. I have nothing against more decorating options per say, but look at what happened in DAoC when housing was made more "functional."

It resulted in npc ghost towns. Turbine doesn't need to let npc towns go to waste like that.
    "Netiquette goes a long way and anonymity on the Internet is no reason to carelessly ignore that."

Quote Originally Posted by Vandellia View Post

The flowerboxes to the external iwndows would be great!

As for see through windows, I doubt that's ever gonna happen. If I understand it correctly, they'd have to chance quite a bit of coding, since that would require a special feature, but I'm not certain about this. It would be lovely though!

Backyard decks, docks and stuff like that would be wonderful too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ameesa View Post
    In my neighborhood, I have the Bree house that's on the piece of land that juts into the pond/lake. I would LOVE a dock there!
    I think I know which plot you mean. I've been looking there to get one of my characters a house there. It's such a wonderful area!

Quote Originally Posted by Borrhavan View Post
    Housing doesn't need to be more functional. I have nothing against more decorating options per say, but look at what happened in DAoC when housing was made more "functional."

It resulted in npc ghost towns. Turbine doesn't need to let npc towns go to waste like that.
    I agree with you that NPC towns shouldn't turn into ghost towns, but a little more functionality in our house would be good. Some balance to that can be arranged, I think. I don't have any experience with DAoC, but I can imagine you could have a function for one specific profession, while you'd have to go to the NPC towns for the rest of your professions.
    Country: Netherlands, Current Server: Nimrodel. Future server: Landroval
    Sheherezi's an Eastemnet Cook & Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Borrhavan View Post

agree with u there
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c00000029d872/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]