We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Cappy hints

Cappy hints

OK, Cappy is 45, has LI weapon and LI emblem. Top gear and bling for level. I have been running duo/trio through Ang and Eregion in the red and orange range with basically no issues. All my questing has been with on level help (no uber 75s to speed level).

At this point the red line is starting to get old. I have a good feel for it and the DPS side of the house. I see more grouping in the near future with CD and Uru coming up. I am looking for a little info on the other 2 color trait lines, what to trait for a true fellowship, etc. My virtues suck, gonna have to slow up for a day or so and grind....

I can read skills and tool tips as well as the next person, but the tool tips do not always provide enough info or best practices. So, any advice for the next 5 - 7 levels would be apprciated.
    Used to show a pic... Seems to be broken links now. Good Ole Turbine.

Still red

Blue if you're main healing

(argument, ho!)

Yellow if you're tanking
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

My captain is also just turned 45 last night and he's my 4th character to level up so I have a little experience to give you my opinion.

If you are soloing on level content then you are better off staying red-line traited.

However when you are grouping with others either on landscape quests or in fellowship quests then this is how I would personally trait my captain.

I do a lot of end game group instances from the 3 mans, to 6 mans, and the 12 man raids so I planned out what traits I would always use while grouping. So here it is and why:

5 Blue traits + 2 Yellow traits.

5 Blue:
    Strong Voice (Lower power cost is always a good thing for Captains since they are incredible power hogs)
    Blood of Numenor (The untraited captain rezes SUCK! I've been rezed too many times with an untraited rez during combat only to be killed 1 second later. Whenever you are grouping trait your rezes. I know this is one trait I will never leave behind when I am grouping with my captain.)
    Captain's Hope (Improves the Standard of Hope which will be your most used Standard when you group with others)
    Now For Wrath (Rally cry will heal morale and power to the group. This is another one I wouldn't group without.)
    Deeds Before Words (Inspire restores 25% more morale. This is one of your 3 Brother buffs that is used frequently and is important)

Blue traits I wouldn't use are:
    Fear No Darkness (+20% Healing on Words of Courage. This isn't a bad trait, but unless I am the main healer in the group I would rarely use Words of Courage. If I tried to main heal a group then I would trait this one.)
    Relentless Optimism (Another trait I would only use if I was the main healer in a group, which wouldn't happen often. I hate relying on Crits, because they never come when you need them.)
    Strength From Within (I honestly don't see the utility in this trait so I wouldn't use it. I can heal myself with rallying cry and revealing mark.)

2 Yellow:
    Defiance (This is another trait I wouldn't leave home without when I was in a group. 10 extra seconds to our last stand duration, along with a heal when it expires, is a huge asset in any group. There are so many times a group I was in could have kept from wiping and snatched victory into our favor if the captain just would have used In Harm's Way plus Last Stand and it was traited with Defiance. Being able to take 50% of the groups damage and to not be defeated and get a heal at the end of that is HUGE in my opinion.)
    Tactical Prowess (+5 seconds to your To Arms buff is a plus. It's not great, but all the other yellow traits are for tanking Captains)
    Composure (I know this is a 3rd yellow trait, but it is a situational one. I don't have the Time of Need skill but I see it being a useful skill, so if you forgo the +5 To Arms duration given from Tactical Prowess and used Composure instead it could work depending on what you are doing. My opinion may change on this one once I get the Time of Need skill and have had a chance to use it.)
    [SIZE="1"]Just realize that while champions are awesome, we want you to be awesome too. That's why we do the things we do. - Harumph[/SIZE]

[size=1]I'm fairly certain no one is leaving the game due to confusion of what a strawman is or isn't. Which tells me we're done here.
    [color=blue]Last edited by Sapience; Aug 16 2010 at 12:12 PM.[/color][/size]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/082070000000fec66/01008/signature.png]Vysion[/charsig]

Well, pick up Now for Wrath at least if you're going to group. Did you get lucky enough to get Rally Cry cooldown on your emblem?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000363f98/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Rechart, Warden
    [url="http://platemetaljacket.blogspot.com/"]Plate Metal Jacket[/url]

Do people still run CD and Uru? I guess if you're in a good kin. Otherwise it's red all the way to the cap.

That said, Now For Wrath and Relentless Optimism are excellent blue traits for healing (Blue line). The rest is filler.

Yellow line, which I know little about, for tanking basically uses the Threatening Shout and Routing Cry upgrades to generate threat and the capstone Legedary (which you probably don't have yet) for survivability. Captains should have pretty high might and the capstone allows you to block with a two handed weapon which is very nice.

And although you don't find many cappy's tanking, don't be afraid to, particularly if you have a tank class alt. I've tanked FT, GS, Hele giant wing and I forget what else so far on level no problem.

(However it starts to come together more in your 50s, you don't have some threat builders/traits before then.)

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Thanks for the replies, exactly what i was looking for. I was going to do another thread, but here might be a good spot. What are the preferred Cappy legacies?

As to CD and Uru, we run them at least once a week. I am a huge SoA fan, Turbine has yet to produce any expansion that even comes close to the excellance of SoA material. I also cannot stand peeps that get to 75 and barely know 1 trait line. I like knowing how to play my toons when I hit level cap.

As noted above, I have noticed the Cappy is a huge power hog. Rather than drop the power banner, do any trait some will to help out?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatuaje View Post
    Thanks for the replies, exactly what i was looking for. I was going to do another thread, but here might be a good spot. What are the preferred Cappy legacies?

As to CD and Uru, we run them at least once a week. I am a huge SoA fan, Turbine has yet to produce any expansion that even comes close to the excellance of SoA material. I also cannot stand peeps that get to 75 and barely know 1 trait line. I like knowing how to play my toons when I hit level cap.

As noted above, I have noticed the Cappy is a huge power hog. Rather than drop the power banner, do any trait some will to help out?
    Traits and legacies will solve your power problems:

The absolute best trait to use is Now For Wrath. It returns power to everyone in your fellowship when you use Rallying Cry. This is always useful. I have no idea when you would ever unslot this trait. (Maybe if your group already has another captain?)

Also, the absolute best legacy to have is the Rallying Cry Cooldown.

You're about 75% there when you have both of those.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Tatuaje View Post
    I had power problems during the middle levels too. At cap it's much better. Now for Wrath + Rally Cry CD is essential (as mentioned above). Various gear helps with occasional power buffs. When traited red or green with the captstones, inspire (for the corresponding brother skill) will give you power as well.

....Tat doesn't trust my advice, /ragequit
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1321300000009aa52/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Once you go capt' you never go back

Yeah, Rally Cry CD is probably the only "Must Have". I would say To Arms Duration is a distant second. Some people like to put that on a buff stick but I'm lazy and always have it on my main.

You're lucky if you have a kin that still does SoA stuff. It'd be great if they'd scale those instances and had them give decent rewards.

I also cannot stand peeps that get to 75 and barely know 1 trait line.
    I find this forgivable in most cases as long as people make an effort to then learn their other traitlines. There's not much that's more frustrating that an "I only DPS" Minstrel. In the case of the captain the only standout traitline is yellow and only if you're tanking. Otherwise they're really not played that differently.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTimeTimmyJim View Post
    ....Tat doesn't trust my advice, /ragequit
    Hehe, till I saw you sig I was like - who did I piss off..... You advice is great, but I hate bugging you in game. I did just get my IDOME - wow is all I can say. It is like the LM legendary Sword & Staff, cannot imagine unslotting it. I have 1 last bottom page to find for the 4th legendary. I have the shield brother legandary slotted as well. I figure if I can duplicate you main tanking the Foundry run, I'll have mastered the Cappy.

@Emachine, we run as much if not more old runs as the new stuff. OD/BG at least once a week, CD/URU prolly 2 - 3 times combined a week, etc. Draigoch gets run for cloaks and seals, but there are the chances of bugs, ToO runs are as boring as can be. Four runs that are 98%n the same and 1 run where almost anything can cause a restart.

Love the Rift on level! I need 4 more levels before my Cappy runs it. I hate Moria, but I do like many of the 6 man runs there.