We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Crafting Guild advice needed

Being new to the game, I understand that there is a lot I don't know. This holds especially true for anything that will occur at higher levels (ie: legendary items or class specific items). So I'm asking for a little bit of advice on which crafting guilds to pick up for my little alt-foursome.

The Setup:
    I have four alts that I'm more of less leveling together. Between them all, they have all of the crafting professions covered, and they make items for one another. I am mostly a casual, solo player. I enjoy this game for it's rich leveling experience, and will not be participating in end game raiding. I'm not sure what I'll do when I reach cap, but at my pace, that's so far down the road as to not even matter. I'd probably just raise up another alt that interests me.

Toons:
    Guardian - Armorer (currently in Metalsmith guild)
    Champion - Woodsman (currently in Woodworker guild)
    Hunter - Tinker (currently in Jeweler guild)
    Lore-master - Historian (currently in Weaponsmith guild)

I like being in the Woodworker and Weaponsmith guilds because I can craft a nice stout weapon to level with. Those two can cover the needs of all four toons. The Jeweler could probably make something nice for everyone from the guild recipes. My issue is with the Armorer. As a metalsmith, he can only cover the needs of two toons. The Light and Medium armor wearer are out in the cold.

I have a choice of switching him to Tailors guild and just making pretty cloaks for everyone... Or raising another alt to cover Tailoring. (seems kinda painful) While trying to sort all that out, I started agonizing about what I might be missing from the Scholars guild.

So... I need advice. If you only had a choice of four options for crafting guilds. Which ones are a 'must have'? Which are a 'Don't Bother'? Should I raise up another alt to cover my bases? (would probably be a captain)

Re: Crafting Guild advice needed

I don't know a ton about the guild issue, but I would recommend a burglar...simply for the fact that they are more challenging while having very satisfying mid-late game skills....you have the DPS and tanking already, and the LM does the ally thing, so go with burglar and get your sneak on

Wink Re: Crafting Guild advice needed

My highest lvl character is currently 42, but I have managed to get Kindred with all of the Guilds (I used my son's lvl 61 captain a bit ;P) and here are my thoughts...

The Cook and Scholar's Guilds are kinda meh. They can be useful and can make you money, but I only did them because I have OCD issues, lol. The Tailor Guild is definitely the most difficult and time consuming, as you have to kill 2 mobs for each component or for the basic (automatically given) patterns. That being said, it was worth my time as I have one of each class (I'm an altoholic). If you choose to roll another character you'll have even more use for tailoring (unless you roll a Captain). I really like having everything available to me and being able to make whatever I may need.

I'm also a mostly solo player and of all the Trades I think Jewelers are the most beneficial. They made a few changes in the recent update giving the better recipes 3 optional outputs in some cases. When you consider they can make half of everyone's gear (7 pieces) you'll see just how much a difference it can be. The Guild Jewelery recipes are really nice too.

If you decide not to roll a 5th character I would just keep what you currently have and maybe find some one who is in the tailor's guild and offer them mats to skill up with (which they would surely appreciate). The single use tailor's recipes can get you the same pieces the Guild offers, it just takes a little more effort.

If you're on Meneldor server you can send a message to me (Raowyn) and I'd be more than happy to help you out

Sorry, I kinda rambled a bit, but I hope it helps.
    Last edited by Landshark74; Jan 02 2011 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark74 View Post
    The Cook and Scholar's Guilds are kinda meh. They can be useful and can make you money, but I only did them because I have OCD issues, lol.
    I was thinking Cook for sure was 'meh', and suspected that Scholar was too. So that's 2 votes to not worry about either one of those. Anyone else have a counter to this feeling on Cook and Scholar Guild?

So the real debate is whether to swap my Metalsmith over to Tailoring, or to raise an alt to cover the Tailoring guild. The OCD part of me says to raise the 5th alt. But the sensible part says, 4 Alts are way too many as it is. (but I really, really want to try the captain again, even if they're weak outside of a group)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaru View Post
    The OCD part of me says to raise the 5th alt. But the sensible part says, 4 Alts are way too many as it is. (but I really, really want to try the captain again, even if they're weak outside of a group)
    My Highest toon is a Captain and as I said I solo a lot, haven't really noticed any "weakness" so far ;P (I use a 2 handed weapon, not sword and shield). I'd say roll a Captain and pick up the Explorer vocation, but I'm also of the opinion that one can never have too many alts!

I wouldn't give up what you already have, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark74 View Post
    I wouldn't give up what you already have, but that's just me.
    I wouldn't have to give up much if I switched. The Vocation would stay the same, I'd just switch his Crafting Guild. I don't really have a whole lot of time invested in the progress that he's made in metalworking reputation so far.

On the other hand.... Alts are a lot like cats. After a certain number, you don't really notice when you pick up a few more. (says the 'crazy alt lady' in the making)