We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    Broadacres, LVL 92, determined to get to lvl 95 before Riger

Question Error - "Can't Find File <Filename>.txt"

I have downloaded a few songs from http://www.lotro-abc.com/ but every time I try and play it on LOTRO, it shows an error something like the title of this post. How can I solve this? I have created a folder in Documents > The Lord of the Rings Online > Music and I put all the songs in there like I read on the forums, but it gave me the error!
    Last edited by Sir_Richard; Jul 28 2012 at 06:06 AM.
    [url=http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/index.php][img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wsiga.php/5696642YfwWq.png[/img][/url]

Did you unzip them? A lot of the songs on Lotro-abc are zipped.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b000000230036/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Broadacres, LVL 92, determined to get to lvl 95 before Riger
    Yes, they were unzipped. They're in the folder in .abc format
    [url=http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/index.php][img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/wsiga.php/5696642YfwWq.png[/img][/url]

The two most common errors that occur, for folks new to the LotRO music system are:

1) The files haven't been saved to the proper subdirectory.

If you don't have an extensive collection of ABC files in your <Username>/Documents/Lord of the Rings Online/Music subdirectory yet, you can double check that the files you are attempting to use ingame, are in the proper subdirectory, by using the basic /playlist command, which will list ALL of the ABC files in your /Music subdirectory.

Folks (like me) with a massive number of ABC files in there /Music subdirectory, will have trouble using this basic command as it may Lock-Up your client.

If you do have a massive amount of ABC file there, use the more specific command of /Playlist <FullFileName>.abc , to locate a specific file (Yes, the file extention is required in this case).

Example: I'm searching for my file FreightTrain_Solo.abc, so I would type /Playlist FreightTrain_Solo.abc

But you can also use a "wildcard" Search with the command which would be /playlist <partialfilename>* (no extention or full name required), which will list any files that start with those letters.

Example: I'm searching for my file FreightTrain_Solo.abc, so I would type /Playlist FreightT*

2) The second most common error is a simple typo, by a User, in the command line.

Example: I accidentally type /play FrieghtTrain_Solo . instead of /Play FreightTrain_Solo, I will get the error you see.

Any typo in the command line will give you this error.

Hope this helps you. Let us know here.
    [COLOR=#00ffff]Keptwise Wandering[/COLOR] of the Fallohides
    [COLOR=#ffd700]Director of The Eriador Music Society[/COLOR] - [COLOR=#ffd700][B]Elendilmir & Landroval[/B][/COLOR]
    [U][URL="http://s1.zetaboards.com/EriadorMusicSociety/index/"][COLOR=#40e0d0]http://s1.zetaboards.com/EriadorMusicSociety/index/[/COLOR][/URL][/U] - [B]The official Home of EMS[/B]

I have the same problem with the Error. I have tried everything said but it still won't work. Can someone please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Parki View Post
    I have the same problem with the Error. I have tried everything said but it still won't work. Can someone please help.
    Saw your post elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Parki View Post
    I really want to play music using the abc. And have downloaded some to Documents > The Lord of the Rings Online > Music. They are not zipped and I have tried /playlist <Filename>.txt. Can someone please help me.
    but since this is the music forums I'll try to answer it here. The system does not use .txt but .abc. First check to make sure you are using that in game. then check to make sure the file you want to play is .abc and not .txt finally make sure you are using the file name exactly as it appears in the folder.

As you mentioned in your post you took some files from lotroABC. There are some files on that page that have the ending .txt and have to be renamed to .abc, just like Meluihel explained it.

Another mistake that the creator of the abc-Files could have made is having a dot in the filename. I recently did this when naming the following file: After_The_Fire_-_1980F_2.0_6Spieler.abc

The game always looks for the ending when it finds a dot, so this file cannot be played in game and you get the same error with the .txt ending because the game does not find the proper .abc ending. When I removed the dot from the name in this file, it could be played without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Caunthol View Post
    As you mentioned in your post you took some files from lotroABC. There are some files on that page that have the ending .txt and have to be renamed to .abc, just like Meluihel explained it.

Another mistake that the creator of the abc-Files could have made is having a dot in the filename. I recently did this when naming the following file: After_The_Fire_-_1980F_2.0_6Spieler.abc

The game always looks for the ending when it finds a dot, so this file cannot be played in game and you get the same error with the .txt ending because the game does not find the proper .abc ending. When I removed the dot from the name in this file, it could be played without problems.
    I've used the abc music system successfully for about a year now, and all of my files are saved properly, yet for some reason I'm having the same issue as Sir_Richard and Parki. Although my files are all saved as abc files, and have worked in the past, now all of the sudden I'm unable to play them. It says
    "Couldn't open file
    /Users/Name/Library/Application Support/com.turbine.lotroclient/Music/song.txt"
    I'm on a mac, but I managed to figure out the abc system up until now. Do you have any idea what's wrong, or how to fix this?

As I am on Windows, I can not test it, but there were issues with with the Music System on MAC-Systems. There is one work-around that you can find on Fionnuala's page: http://lotromusic.mymiddleearth.com/...usic-on-a-mac/

Maybe this helps you to get it working

Quote Originally Posted by Caunthol View Post
    There is one work-around that you can find on Fionnuala's page: http://lotromusic.mymiddleearth.com/...usic-on-a-mac/

Maybe this helps you to get it working
    Thanks for your time and help But I've been using her work-around for a long time without any issues, and I think the problems with the abc files began somewhere around the last update. I'll keep trying to figure it out, I guess my minstrels just won't play any music for awhile.

WBS is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Destroyer of Worlds
    Quote Originally Posted by Easily-Lost View Post
    Thanks for your time and help But I've been using her work-around for a long time without any issues, and I think the problems with the abc files began somewhere around the last update. I'll keep trying to figure it out, I guess my minstrels just won't play any music for awhile.
    Have you tried using the Disk Utility to verify the permissions on your hard drive?

Just a thought.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    Have you tried using the Disk Utility to verify the permissions on your hard drive?

Just a thought.
    I've just done a bit of testing with my Mini and his bagpipes -- with the Mac Client under 12.3

!- The files are stored where they belong on the Mac -- "~/Library/Application Support/com.turbine.lotroclient/music"

2- However, "/playlist" does not work, always yielding:
    - No ABC files found matching "*".

/playlist <fullfilename> also does not work.

3- However:

/music
    /play <songname>

works as expected. No need to specify "<songname>.abc"

Note that the "normal" OSX Filesystem is "Case Preserving," but "Case Insensitive."
    Put another way
    * <songname>.abc -and-
    * <songname>.ABC
    LOOK different in the finder, but are treated the same way.
    The same is true of "AmazingGrace" and "amazinggrace"

4- HOWEVER!!! the /play command is not processing "spaces" in the filename correctly!
    Therefore a file named "FlowerofScotland.abc" will play as expected, but "Flower of Scotland.abc" fails.

However again, in typical Unix fashion (OSX is based on Unix), if you "quote the string" it will play!
    i.e. the command
    /play "Flower of Scotland" works just as well as changing the filename to eliminate the spaces. (In this case, the quotation marks are required.)

Filename LENGTH does not seem to be an issue. Nor is it necessary for the file to be "executable" -- simply readable.

All of that said, I have had a report of an issue with a GERMAN Mac Client... it is not playing. This is probably a "language" issue -- while the Mac Client is the same for all 3 languages, what IS different is OSX's treatment of things like Keyboard Layouts and "special characters." For example, that I know of, the German Apple Keyboard does not have the characters [ and ] (Left and right square brackets).

Also worth noting. (At least with the Mac Client) The name which is displayed in chat as "You begin playing "AmazingGrace." is the name embedded in the .abc flie as "T"
    Example:
    /play Colonel will generate the message:
    You begin playing "Colonel Roberston (Bagpipes) [By Harmon of Meneldor]."

5- Similarly, the error message:
    "Couldn't open file /Users/magill/Library/Application Support/com.turbine.lotroclient/Music/conel.txt."
    never displays ".abc" always, ".txt" as the file name suffix.

Sigh, now to write this up as a bug report and update the Wiki!
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (94)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I would be interested to know if the /playlist command still works in the PC Client in 12.3?
    It is definitely broken with the Mac Client.

Similarly, does the PC Client /play command correctly parse a filename with spaces in it?

I should add ... testing the PC Client using WINE is not conclusive because of the nature of WINE -- but they do not work using the PC Client and WINE.
    Last edited by Valamar; Feb 11 2014 at 05:17 PM.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (94)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)