We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

My very first Captain just got to level 20

I finally made a captain and got her up to 20 and am finally starting to get comfortable with the class.

I have a couple of questions. Can a Captain use a heavy shield? Or should a Captain just stick with halbreds? I just noticed that I can either use a herald or a banner, not both at the same time, so which scenerios are best for each?

Ok, maybe more than a couple of questions, sorry lol.

Is there a way to make a herald tougher or is it just buying the skill from the trainer at a certain level?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I know very little about Captains. Thanks for any advice or answers!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I finally made a captain and got her up to 20 and am finally starting to get comfortable with the class.

I have a couple of questions. Can a Captain use a heavy shield? Or should a Captain just stick with halbreds? I just noticed that I can either use a herald or a banner, not both at the same time, so which scenerios are best for each?

Is there a way to make a herald tougher or is it just buying the skill from the trainer at a certain level?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I know very little about Captains. Thanks for any advice or answers!
    1- light shields only; forget about using them. You can tank just fine without them everything except raid content (which you won't do)

2- stick with halberds or 2h swords

3- heralds are pretty useless imo. I'd rather use banners (of war mainly, the morale one for special occasions; tailors make them)

4- the only herald that I can see useful is the archer oath breaker (MoM legendary trait). You have a long way to get there though

5- use your heralds to understand how brother skills work and to work on class deeds

6- captains are fun
    Ricardofurriel 105 Champion Edved 105 Captain Roovery 105 Minstrel Galathriell 105 Lore-Master EddieVedder 105 Rune-Keeper

Hail and well-met, Captain!

- You may only use light shields. I used shields all the way up until Moria, then I realized I did WAY more damage with a Halberd/2-Handed weapon.

- I use a herald when I'm fighting something big for (a) more DPS; (b) some herald heals.

- I use banners when I'm in any area where the herald may take an alternate path (they don't always follow you exactly... and are famous for running through the middle of populated camps while you walk safely outside). I also use banners more in groups as a general rule, and instances.

- You definitely get tougher heralds through deeds and skill improvements.

- As above: Captains are fun! I hated my Captain around level 45... I felt underpowered and inefficient... once I found a grove, I loved him again!

welcome!

ill echo some sentiments and share my opinion:

- light shields. i say use em only if you like em. i perfer 2hnd weapons.

-the herald/banner debate rages on! there is no real answer except preference. generally, herald is good solo and banner is good for grouping. there are exception, of course, and your skill can determine everything (if you can micro-manage a pet well, they might be better most the time)

- heralds and banners are stronger if they are crit-crafted. Heralds only imporve armor with better armaments, banners have better personal buffs. there are also 2 regular traits to beef the herald up a bit and a legendary trait for the oathbreaker (which is slightly better than any crafted herald). There are three regular traits for improving banners. each one is tied to its respective trait-line.

-captains rule! i ONLY played a capn for my first two years of lotro!

edit: i saw you post this in anohter thread, "I'm a sword and shield guy. Not only here but in Skyrim also. There is just something about charging into a bunch of baddies with no regard to stealth."

go ahead and rock a shield if its your thing!
    Last edited by SapienChavez; Jul 20 2012 at 01:43 PM.
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Others have answered well enough, but I'd like to reiterate the fact that the OP is new to the class, and just starting out in the leveling process. Therefore, I can recall my own experiences with the Captain at around the same level.

-Captains cannot use heavy shields, so we are limited to light shields. I found them useful at lower levels for some small fellowship content, like when I tanked Ivar, or in solo content that necessitated more survivability to complete. At your current level, I'd have a shield in my inventory for quick equip in such circumstances. At those lower levels, and later on, I settled on a 2H weapon as my main style. I chose a sword, because of its passive +chance to hit bonus, and I value this for our melee-based heals, and attacks that depend on hits. However, one can do just fine with another weapon type, as far as aesthetics go and minor passive bonuses, like for the Halberd, Axe, and Hammer.

-Always use a herald in solo content. He/she is your 'shield-brother' target (you should get this skill in a couple levels), and as such, allow you to use the toggle's respective skills in combat. If managed correctly, they can be a useful tool in successfully winning battles against multiple mobs. The herald type (cosmetic look) and +armour rating are both controlled with what's called a Captain Armament, which is crafted by tailors, and occupies the ranged slot on your character. Use a banner only for group content, or skirmishes if you prefer to designate your 'shield-brother' on the skirmish soldier. Remember, you can only equip either an armament (herald) OR a standard (banner).
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c2140100000b9311/signature.png]Mavirthael[/charsig]

6 Chestnut Street, Branway, Breeland, Crickhollow

The other use of heralds early on is to practice healing/shield brothering and using those skills for when you are grouped with others.

Solo at those levels, I'd use a herald, send it in first, then I'd attack the MOB from behind. I hit more (no block/parry for them) and pull threat, the herald survives with 1/4 or 1/3 morale, and does a bit more DPS than no herald (banner). (Also some heralds can interrupt via stun, handy given the limited captain interrupts, I use the Man's uppercut for that too.)

Folks like to see captain's use banners in groups, because they don't understand heralds can be set to passive/defensive. If you do have a herald get defeated, simply pop out a banner to replace it!

"Sometimes survival comes down to not being hit. Actually, most times." -the chicken skill, Bob and Weave
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Don't, now it gets tricky learning when to use what.

I have a couple of questions. Can a Captain use a heavy shield? Or should a Captain just stick with halbreds?
    No, light shields. What you use depends on what weapon ability you prefer and you can carry a 1H weapon, Shield and a 2H weapon. Currently I use a 1H Sword for the hit bonus and Shield but I also carry a Halberd for possible use such as off-tanking in a group (I am also Red traited that helps with tanking) since the Halberd ability is to generate more threat. I did once try a 2H Hammer for a bit only because it had a +15 Might bonus.

I just noticed that I can either use a herald or a banner, not both at the same time, so which scenerios are best for each?
    Banner for Group usually fixed location battles, Herald for solo and possibly when on the move with a group. Which type depends, so far I have used War and Hope though went back to War, the Might & Agility bonuses seem to work better than Morale & ICMR bonuses. Now whenever I get Victory I may use that more, I find myself burning through Power a lot when soloing. In Groups it would be best to check which one the Leader thinks is best.

Either buy it, make real good friends with a Tailor or become a Tailor yourself. I have Armourer both for this and Armor, Explorer would let you supply your Tailor with his own mats. Making the Herald your Shield-Brother (Level 22) allows extra abilites, currently I have Inspire that is an extra attack and can heal the Herald a bit, I also use the Loyalty trait.

Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    there are also 2 regular traits to beef the herald up a bit and a legendary trait for the oathbreaker (which is slightly better than any crafted herald). There are three regular traits for improving banners. each one is tied to its respective trait-line.
    Precise Ally is not available until Level 50 but Loyalty is very useful, as for the other 3 they affect both Banners and Heralds but I don't bother with them since I never know which type (War, Hope, Victory) I may use and constantly going to the Bard would be a pain.
    [COLOR=#afeeee]Glicyn, Man CPT; Drigrin, Hobbit BUR; Heli, Dwarf MIN; Eliyvan, Elf LM- Imladris[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#ffa07a]Soldiers of Gondor - Kin[/COLOR]

Thanks for answering everyone! I learned a lot from this thread. /deepbow
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

A bit more about heralds...

A herald will always be 2 levels below you. A banner has a static level. Therefore, unless you can keep yourself in good critted banners whenever they are available, a herald can often provide better buffs as you are leveling because it may be higher than any banner you can equip.

The game is not that tough, especially if you've already leveled other characters. I find the fact that a herald doesn't have to be constantly replanted to be very appealing when out questing across the landscape.

Additionally, you have deeds for doing things to others...like healing. Use Words of Courage on your herald when you are just standing around, etc.

Since some folks don't seem to be able to get the knack of controlling heralds (wink wink), at few tips:

1. If your herald is on aggressive, it will aggro anything. Best settings are Passive + Assist for most situations, and for any group instances.
    2. However, if you need your herald to stick on one target while you move around, take it off assist and put it on Guard setting. Assist setting means it will attack your target, even if you directed it to attack something else. The setting mode trumps any direct attack command.
    3. Create a button to release the pet (all pets) quickly. If it does have a problem getting around something on the landscape or you have something targeted and forget that your herald will go running through a camp to get to it, you can quickly dismiss the herald before it gets into trouble.
    4. Mount Up! If you are traveling through an area that may have pathing issues or jumping down a hill, just mount up to automatically take the herald with you and eliminate the problems.

Creating a Herald (Pets and Skirmish Soldiers) Quick Dismiss Key
    **Caution** When you create a shortcut command, be sure that you ARE NOT TARGETING ANYTHING. Otherwise, it will program that target into the command. If you forget, remove the newly created key from your quickkey bar (deleting it), and start over.

• Find an empty quickkey slot on a tool bar that you have set to be visible at all times, and determine the number of that key. Your main bar is numbered 1-12, bar 1 is 13-24, etc. For example, let's say key 8 is open.
    • In the chat line, type:
      /shortcut 8 /pet releaseall
    • When you press the <enter> key, a black button will be created in slot 8 which will now release all companions instantly without the need to target it first. This new button may be moved to any other slot once it has been created.
    • You may now quickly dismiss your herald if they should take an unwanted path or if you mess up targeting.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Pretty sure Captains can only use the little shields. They can't wear the big cool looking ones Wardens and Guardians can wear.

Heralds are good for mobile fights or if you need to control adds. Otherwise banners are better because they give you more individual buffs. Captain's Hope and Loyality traits will give you your strongest herald, assuming you have the best armament available. They are actually really tough using that set up - and can go toe to toe with a lot of mobs and make excellent distractions for enemies to beat on. Just watch your threat around them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Heralds are good for mobile fights or if you need to control adds.
    Point of clarification here, a herald is an offtank (and a pretty bad one without the consumable), and cannot provide you with LM or Burg level CC.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Point of clarification here, a herald is an offtank (and a pretty bad one without the consumable), and cannot provide you with LM or Burg level CC.
    None of that now .

Nevertheless, the herald is a great soloing companion while you're leveling. When I leveled my captain, I had the herald handle 1 mob (use Inspire every cooldown and Words of Courage to keep her alive), while I handled the rest of the group.

I recommend obtaining some crit-crafted banners and armaments for your level and trying both out to get a feel for their situational usage. The banners are nice in groups because they buff your dps and morale, even if they aren't deployed.
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Faramir

Undo the U12 class changes. The trait trees were, are, and will always be a bad idea.
    Maedhric 100 Captain, Nunion 93 Champion, Taraviel 85 Minstrel, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoFurriel View Post
    1- light shields only; forget about using them. You can tank just fine without them everything except raid content (which you won't do)

2- stick with halberds or 2h swords

3- heralds are pretty useless imo. I'd rather use banners (of war mainly, the morale one for special occasions; tailors make them)

4- the only herald that I can see useful is the archer oath breaker (MoM legendary trait). You have a long way to get there though

5- use your heralds to understand how brother skills work and to work on class deeds

6- captains are fun
    shhh... lol

I use sword and board exclusively in the moors.
    I use sword and board while PvE'ing as well, unless it's something like ToO where it's a DPS race.

Heralds are not useless. They can be fun, running around and following you everywhere. Especially at lower levels, they do provide DPS, off-tanking, etc. Shield-bro him/her to help keep them alive.

Captains can be fun, but it definitely wasn't my favorite class to level. I don't think I could ever make another one.
    [url=http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/index.php][img]http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/lotro/1/0/0/0/1/110001Smqtd.png[/img][/url]

ive never used a "dismiss pet" macro/hotkey... i always just hit a banner to dismiss them. it works very fast and uses a hotkey i already use, very often.

Backspace is my button. its large and easy to whack in a hurry.

however, playing around with a LM makes me want to create one...
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me