We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

One thing we learned tonight in MMORPG's livestream

Spoilers for rohan!

First, before anyone tells me I'm going against the NDA, I asked three times during the stream if we could discuss what we saw there. The answer was yes, so I'm taking them at face value.

LMs will not be able to use pets while fighting on the War-steed at this time. Rowan wasn't clear if this ability will be available at a later date.
    Last edited by jewahe; Jul 18 2012 at 11:25 PM.
    Jewahe

Quote Originally Posted by jewahe View Post
    They weren't clear if this ability will be available at a later date.
    Rowan sounded quite sarcastic when speculating about a bog-lurker learning to ride, although he didn't rule out some sort of pet interaction in the future.

/ragequit

Ok, maybe not.

But I do think that a Raven or Eagle could keep up with a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Disparia View Post
    /ragequit

Ok, maybe not.

But I do think that a Raven or Eagle could keep up with a horse.
    Or a cute little lynx balanced atop the horse's head, giving a swipe and a growl as you run past!

I'm still not sure where bears would fit in, though, although we did see some being fought in that video.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    Or a cute little lynx balanced atop the horse's head, giving a swipe and a growl as you run past!

I'm still not sure where bears would fit in, though, although we did see some being fought in that video.
    The ghostbear could keep up!
    Jewahe

A falcon would be so cool. We could ride with one hand and keep the falcon in the other. When combat starts falcon fly and attack/flank. Seems easy and simple.

As much as I'm going to miss my pet, Im kinda thankful.
    After watching the vids at how fast paced the combat on horse's is going to be, I dont think our pets would be able to keep up, and I dont think we would be able to control a horse: fury, direction ..and so on. Whilst also toggling our pet skills, making it attack and stun targets ...it would be too much.

I do hope we get something more to compensate this, as Captains probably still can use their banners.

RIP Lore-Masters.

If I can't use my pet I'm no longer a Lore-Master, I may as well be a Rune Keeper because they're better mages than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraggy_Eldar View Post
    RIP Lore-Masters.

If I can't use my pet I'm no longer a Lore-Master, I may as well be a Rune Keeper because they're better mages than I.
    So regrettably true:-(

Umm ok I understand much of our class playstyle is related to pets, but saying that its the end of the class, without pets, is an overstatement imo....our class is not a PET class exclusively.....yes pets are a big part of it, but theyre not the ONLY thing we have.....

I really like it that they have implemented mounted combat in ways that keep us as close to our main playstyle and role as possible....EVERYthing cant be just the same always....combat/fights are varied.....just like in any combat, one needs to improvise, so one should be able to have varied playstyles as well.....if faced by a group of warg riders, does one expect any sane loremaster to dismount, have a pet at his side and fight them?....or he fights from horseback...using another advantage to compensate the loss of one......I dont know why many people are hesitant to try new things, step out of the set boundaries....

I for one am pretty satisfied with the looks of it......It still remains to be seen how its implemented, but it does seem that we would be having the feel of our own class even while riding and fighting

Quote Originally Posted by silverblade5445 View Post
    I really like it that they have implemented mounted combat in ways that keep us as close to our main playstyle and role as possible...
    Well, my playstyle in anything but T2 ToO raids is firey-aoe dps, melee-range playing. LM's autoattacks are powerful and melee so I'm right up there next to the mobs, whacking away at them. I don't go in with any debuffing or cc traits as it's simply not needed. So when I read this:

Focuses heavily on ranged damage, a very small amount on melee damage, strengthening and healing allies, weakening enemies, and controlling the enemy.
    .. it makes me worried. Not having a pet with me doesn't bother me at all. I only really focus on them in raids, otherwise my lynx is a little bit of extra dps for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothirieth View Post
    .. it makes me worried. Not having a pet with me doesn't bother me at all. I only really focus on them in raids, otherwise my lynx is a little bit of extra dps for me.
    I am meleefocused too. I just don't like MoNF - it's not my kind of fun, i prefer Ancient Master- so melee is very important for me.

A falcon or the Eagle to be available in mounted combat would be something, which would fit.
    Falcons were used for hunting and put capped infront of the saddle. It could have a miss-debuff like wild falcons (attacking the eyes). They are swift and agile enough to attack mounted enemies. A blind enemy would be slowed too. Who will ride at maximum speed, if he is blinded by falcon/eagle claws?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the saber cat running along side of my war steed, and when combat starts the cat charges the mobs with a AoE claw rake. Possibly doing more damage to the mobs mounts with a chance of dismounting. And after a pass they circle around and go again.

I was in the livestream as well and am one who got our pet question asked enough times to get it addressed

Yes pets are a cornerstone of our class. Yes we all see ways that our pets could be effective in mounted combat from our sabertooth riding along and taking aoe swipes at the foe and their mount to our eagles/ravens or a new falcon swooping down and clawing out their eyes or distracting the mount or rider to knock them off but its not the route that turbine has gone for us currently.

With this new information I started a new thread that some of you I'm sure have seen over on the Rohan public forum. Please check it out, give your thoughts on the issues brought up and if you think of any more cases not brought up share them.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...And-LiveStream

I'm sure the reason for this has a lot more to do with tech and nothing to do with design choice. I mean back in the early days, you couldn't interact with anything while mounted. Give them time, if it's possible and doesn't require massive development they'll put it in there.
    [B][COLOR=cyan][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/06205000000039d09/signature.png]Viloxus[/charsig]
    8-time Grand Champion Guinness Drinker[/COLOR][/B]
    [SIZE=2][B][COLOR=silver]June 2008 model in "Failmasters of 2008" Calendar[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    [B][COLOR=green]Making the world a better place one less pair of pants at a time :p [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]