We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Cry Havoc!

Cry Havoc!

Looks like the RoR site has been updated with some new info on Mounted Combat, most notably previews of class skills and some discussion of the new mechanics like Fury and Discliplines (equivalent to trait lines).

Here's the example skill for Captains, with the text describing how the skill changes based on the active Discipline:

Cry Havoc: Unleashing a mighty cry, the Captain is capable of bolster allies while unnerving foes.

Rohirrim: Deals a low amount of damage to a targeted enemy and heals a great deal of morale and power the Captain and their War-steed.
    Riddermark: Deals a low amount of damage to up to 6 targets in a ~40m radius around the target and heals the Captain's fellowship members and their War-steeds for a low amount of morale.
    Red Dawn: Deals a significant amount of damage to a single target and restores a small amount of morale and power to the Captain and their War-steed.
    So, the first previewed skill for us is a shout. In the tank discipline, it's a single-target attack does damage and a self-heal. In the support discipline, it's an AoE attack that also does an AoE heal. In our damage discipline, it's a mirror image of the tanking spec skill, except it does more damage and less healing.

This is definitely an interesting preview, and it's getting me excited about what else is to come. I both do and don't like the idea of Riddermark so far. It could end up a bit like the pre-RoI Leader of Men, i.e. the only spec people ever want Captains running in because it benefits the group so much. That said, if it's true that the combination of a Heavy steed with the right Rohirrim traits can make even a Runekeeper into a workable tank, maybe we'll manage to avoid pigeonholing through sheer flexibility. I guess we'll see for ourselves in two months.

(Speaking of flexibility, check the Guardian skill! They can do a group heal, group power restoration, or group damage buff!)
    Last edited by furtim; Jul 18 2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Sounds like mounted combat is throwing the base game out the window..... I like it =)
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Sounds like mounted combat is throwing the base game out the window..... I like it =)
    Yeah, I like they way they're keeping the spirit of the classes and rewriting most of the details. I think we'll get a few of our "classic" skills on horseback (else our non-bridle LIs would be useless), but I like the idea of having a bunch of new skills and a completely new way to select our role. Plus, according to some of the previously released info, we can save mounted builds and respec on the fly! I love that already.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

I'd be ticked if captains weren't allowed to have the Marks, XBros, IHW/LS, CoV, and Rally Cry as mounted skills.

I think that's about the absolute minimum amount of skills you can have and still have a class that's distinctly cappy.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West