We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Quick Question from a possible new player to the server.

Greetings. I have been playing LOTRO since closed beta and am a founder and lifetime membership holder. I have take a few breaks here and there but have currently been leveling a Hobbit Burglar on Landroval. I am considering moving to Laurelin as I am interested in Roleplay, but there is one catch. I have never role-played, not once, since starting LOTRO. I see the RPers on Landroval and it all looks very interesting, and seems like something that would allow me to enjoy the game even more once I got used to it, and also as something to do once at level cap and have run out of instances to run.

My question is, would it be crazy to jump into Laurelin with no RP experience, and just take things as they come and learn as I go? I play mostly in the evenings US-PST. I am interested in playing a Hobbit, as they are my favorite race, but I will most likely level something else besides Burglar this time.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Have a great day.

Greetings

As you said, RP can be very interesting and you can be certain that it does add more fun to the game as it lets you experience the world of Middle-earth and its people in a much more immersive way, especially on this server.

While Laurelin is the Official RP Server, it doesnt mean that you have to be an experienced roleplayer in order to join, everyone has to start from somewhere and this server from what i have seen so far is very friendly and welcoming to new folks who wish to learn so no it would not be crazy for someone like you (reminded me of the song now..) to join the RP Server
    I have talked with many folks that are new to RP and to the whole universe of LotR/Middle-earth and have settled well

Also some might tell you that its not that active during N/A times but, if you know where to look, there is quite a lot of activity actually (RP-wise at least)

In my opinion, if you feel like you will enjoy immersive, Middle-earth based RP (for the most part at least) then you will be pleased with your stay here.
    Take a look (why not register too and make your char a profile page) at Laurelin Archives and see all the great RP Events inspired by Tolkien's works. There you can also see a lot of the rpers, Kins, stories, poems and much more

If you join Laurelin, feel free to drop me a tell in-game (or post your char's name here,if you like) if you have any questions about the server and its RP or if you just want to get to talk (and likely meet later IC) with many more folks during the times you play

Cheers!
    Last edited by ''Cris'''; Jul 17 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks. I will likely create a character this evening when I get home from work and see what happens. I will post my characters name here when I do.

Another question is, as far as progression goes, If I choose not to roleplay and progress my character within the game, are their groups at every level to group up with.

I solo quite a bit, and plan to incorporate the solo vagabond personality into my character, but I love chatting and hanging out with people also, and with a baby on the way my playtimes will become even more erratic, so having role-play to fall back on when I don't feel like progressing, or can't work on progressing sounds like a nice plan.

Thanks for the welcoming post. It really brightened my day.

Hello and possibly welcome. I've only recently started playing LoTRO (a few days). I had other MMO experience, but never participated in RP. After tooling around the forums a bit, Laurelin seemed like it would be an active, friendly and welcoming place to try my hand at it. My expectations were more than met. As Cris already posted, the archives are a great way to get information on general happenings and allowed me to start to explore general RP events and kins right from the start. There are plenty of willing RPers running around on regular NA hours and active RP kins willing to help out a new (role) player (thanks to Riders of the Riddermark).

If jumping in with no RP (or LoTRO) experience is crazy, then I'm a nut, but it's also been crazy fun so far. I'd say go for it. Hope to see you IC.
    Last edited by SLOThief; Jul 17 2012 at 03:17 PM.

Well I will create a character tonight and see for myself what the server is all about then. I am thinking Hobbit Hunter, as it is really the one class I have never played. I had one in beta but never leveled past 15 with him. Thanks for the replies and words of encouragement.

Another quick question, I am assuming that all communication is done in character on this server. Do any of the kins have OOC channels for those wishing to chat about other things? Unsure how this works.

It depends on the kin. In my kin, kinchat is OOC but kins have different rules. Some want to be totally immersive so they have a different channel for their roleplay. I hope you find one that meets your needs, roleplay adds a whole other level to the game.

Don't fret about being ooc in kinchat, I don't know of many (any?) who try to enforce this because aside from the inconvenience it doesn't make a great deal of sense ic that ordinary folk can communicate all over Middle Earth in some kind of instant messaging service

You'll find that the only channels that people really care about for in-character communication is /Say> Also spammy/ooc emotes are annoying.

Laurelin is not some strange RP utopia where everyone roleplays 100% of the time by any means. You will of course find plenty of RP if you look for it and I'm certain that you'll find something that'll suit you but the majority of players (RP and non RP'er) just go about their business so levelling and questing happens much as it does on any other server.

We have the whole range here from very casual light RP to those who thoroughly immerse themselves in their character but there are also many folk who are here to enjoy the general feel of an RP community but don't actively involve themselves (but stick to the server rules).

Basically whatever level of RP you want to try out you will find here, so don't fret. Just go with the flow and enjoy and welcome to Laurelin

Thanks for the info...I honestly was not sure what to expect. I did not create a character last night, but plan on doing so this afternoon when I get off of work. Now I just have to decide what I want to create.

I have created two characters on the server.

Murius is my hobbit Hunter.

Hildolfr is my dwarf champion.

Now to decide which to focus on. My backstory for the hobbit is way more fleshed out and interesting and I think I would have a much better time RPing on him. Ahhh choices!

Be sure to give RPing on your home server a try, too. The main difference between Landy and Laurelin are play times and a couple style differentiations. You can experiment with both servers to see which one you prefer when it comes to RPing-- both have about the same amount of RPers ^^
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/dgoqrr.jpg[/IMG]
    RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle[B]
    Landroval[/B]: [SIZE=1]LAERLIN ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/laerlin"]Bio + Drawings[/URL]) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/aethelind"]Bio + Drawing[/URL]) • NETHAEL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://tinyurl.com/mnwbbbq"]Make LOTRO Housing Fun & Profitable![/URL] • [URL="http://tinyurl.com/m33b8be"]New Dye Color Suggestions![/URL][/CENTER]

The only thing I worry about is my playtime, which is generally from 6pm - 10pm Pacific time. I worry about people being online during this time.

Hi! New to server as well...

Any idea of what the server population is and the peak hours? Just want to make sure this is a good fit for me before I start committing to playing a character.