We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Non-LI staves past lvl 50

So I was questing through Moria today, and a lvl 60 LM asked for advice on "the best" traits to slot. So I inspect him, and he's not using a Legendary staff. When pressed, he said he "hadn't found one he liked yet" and was "waiting to get a first-ager."

Firstly, am I crazy or is he crazy?

Second (related to first), is there ANY reason to NOT equip a Legendary staff once they're available to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralcanwolf View Post
    Firstly, am I crazy or is he crazy?

Second (related to first), is there ANY reason to NOT equip a Legendary staff once they're available to you?

He's crazy.

I don't have a link for proof of this, so my understanding may be off, but I understand tactical skills (healing, tactical damage skills, etc) have an equivalent level that doesn't follow the character level. This effective skill level stops advancing at 50, and a Legendary staff's Tactical Damage Rating is the only way to advance it further.

In other words, a level 60 LM using a non-legendary staff is effectively doing level 50 tactical damage skills. In fact, a level 75 LM using a non-legendary staff is effectively doing tactical damage skills as a level 50. While that may be "good enough" for some situations, but it won't be for all, and it certainly isn't making the best use of available resources.

It is a mystery to me why the devs even leave non-LI staves and 2-handed weapons in the game after lvl 50. The only non-LI weapons that anyone should be using are the off-hand weapons for LMs, hunters, champs, and burgs. I've occasionally found a rare world drop 2-handed hammer or halberd at lvl 70+ and it's just so very sad, because they have some pretty neat stats, but there is no practical use for such a thing.

I can understand resisting the LI system, though. I'm not much of a fan of the LI system. With my alts I'll avoid starting Moria for as long as possible just to avoid beginning the LI grind. So while most folks run to the gates of Moria at lvl 45 to get an LI A.S.A.P., I usually wait till 50 or 55, or whenever I feel so inclined to follow a quest path that takes me into Moria. Once you start with LIs, though, their superiority cannot be denied and it's rather foolish to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Aurochs View Post
    It is a mystery to me why the devs even leave non-LI staves and 2-handed weapons in the game after lvl 50. The only non-LI weapons that anyone should be using are the off-hand weapons for LMs, hunters, champs, and burgs. I've occasionally found a rare world drop 2-handed hammer or halberd at lvl 70+ and it's just so very sad, because they have some pretty neat stats, but there is no practical use for such a thing.
    Same opinion... why did they made past lvl 50 2hander or staff is beyond comprehension.

They finally haven't done guild recipies for GR weapons tho, only one-hand one are made.

Plain daft. Having said that, there was a brief period when folks experimented with a critted silver mallorn staff or something along those lines because it had vast ICPR.

As others have said, some dropped stuff it pretty well statted, but rubbish compared to an LI. A pity, I really enjoyed trying for Forvengwath or similar, end game staves that were worth the effort, including the whole Sage's rep set.