We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Skills pre/post delays -- Need DPS help

My main is a burg so I'm familiar with pre and post skill delays/animations. I'm trying to figure out a good rotation as I level and can't seem to find a good thread to explain Captain skill pairings.

In fact the defense armor skill when played seems to negate a pre-processing delay but then when that skill is winding up if I click on another skill the armor one doesn't even seem to go off.

Can someone please explain or point me to a good DPS helping post. I get that Cappy's aren't supposed to DPS kings but I'm sure I'm missing something...

Thanks

Captain's dps is really disappointing on levelling , and there arent many 'tricks' you can take advantage off , thats why there is an absence of such threads.I've levelled almost everything , and he seemed the worst , but it was also by first character and i had little craft support
    As you've noticed , you get a bunch of skills that are totally useless for solo levelling , and are purposed for future group-play.

Captain has no 'fast' skills to break the animations. Only exception is kick , which does almost no damage.
    Death events are also chain-casted a bit faster than other melee skills , but for the shake of levelling , only routing cry might help you put some extra damage on.

Animations are fairly big , and i can't even imagine how disappointing and boring it must feel to you to roll a cappy after being a main burg : )
    You can chain a skill much slower than what you've been used to , you're more likely end up spamming the skills , not using them once , afterall cappy is so slow that you can cancel stuff very very easy unless the animation is already on.

If you are about to enter a 'long' fight , hit time of need and use war-cry before going in. That helps a bit, makes the long animations a little more tolerable.Not sure when you get time of need , should be around 45-50ish.

Trait as many reds as you can , stick with a WAR banner (not heralds) and try not to keep all your skills on cooldown on the same time. For example , if you only have defensive/sure strike off cooldown , then use defensive strike first , then sure strike , and then defensive should be off cooldown again. If you do it upside down then you'll end up doing auto attacks until your defensive strike is back.

Keep boosting your might and critical rating
    When you eventually get the Master of war capstone , things improve quite a bit , because shadow's lament (which you get later in the game) doesnt require a death event,has extra damage and gets you battle-readied after its use.

Even later on things become much much better , because you gain 1 extra dot ( grave wound ) , and sure strike lowers your battle shouts cool down. <- However , those changes are close to level cap.

Until then , be patient and try to keep your 2H weapon up to date to benefit as much as possible from raw dps.
    Last edited by BotLike; Jul 15 2012 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamo View Post
    My main is a burg so I'm familiar with pre and post skill delays/animations. I'm trying to figure out a good rotation as I level and can't seem to find a good thread to explain Captain skill pairings.

In fact the defense armor skill when played seems to negate a pre-processing delay but then when that skill is winding up if I click on another skill the armor one doesn't even seem to go off.

Can someone please explain or point me to a good DPS helping post. I get that Cappy's aren't supposed to DPS kings but I'm sure I'm missing something...

Thanks
    What kind of weapon are you using? And what level are you, for that matter?

Most likely, you're using two-handed weapons. For Captains, these put out the best DPS due to our innately high crit chance and increased critical hit multiplier in the red line. However, the two-handed attack animations are much slower. That's probably what you're experiencing as delays between skills.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Leveling is rough simply due to a lack of skills. It can indeed feel very slow. not to mention captains don't really use "rotations" very often since what skill we use at a given time is usually dependent upon the situation.

However, you can circumvent this slightly by allowing an auto-attack between each melee skill. As soon as your auto-attack animation starts queue the next skill. This also can prevent you from just sitting there auto-attacking for 4-5s waiting for a skill to come off cooldown due to the lack of available attacks early on.
    [B][SIZE=1][COLOR=#999999][SIZE=1]Revelations Kin of Firefoot[/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]
    R9 Captain | R9 Champ | R9 LM[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#800000]R9 Reaver | R8 Warg[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

You can also get uppercut and slot it to help break up the boredom until something better comes along.

Having a herald lets you Shield Brother it, and use Inspire, which is another attack you'd lose out on if you had a banner slotted.

Personal preference is the war herald while leveling.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    You can also get uppercut and slot it to help break up the boredom until something better comes along.

Having a herald lets you Shield Brother it, and use Inspire, which is another attack you'd lose out on if you had a banner slotted.

Personal preference is the war herald while leveling.
    I am currently leveling my cappy (37/38 atm). Those are a couple great hints. I have typically never slotted uppercut on any toon, but now I will

Thanks!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001d66e0/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Iamo View Post

Thanks
    Iamo, Captains rely on stringing together a lot of different attacks consecutively to kill stuff . We aren't like DPS Classes who have those massive single hits that take out an enemy all at once. So we are basically like our tactical buff implies - "relentless attack"ers That's also why we have war cries and such, to help compliment this style.

So think of yourself as a machine gun with a sword - and time your attacks in accordance with your auto attacks - that way you can keep a steady combo of attacks in motion. So basically if you have moments where you aren't swinging at something, that means your timing is off.

Lack of a Rotation Rotation firmly in play

Thanks guys. I'm the original poster. I find myself loving this toon as much as my burg and RK. I get the "roles" classes were developed to play. There's some good information here in response to my post.

I'm currently in the Mid 60s and transitioning between Enedwaith Epic quests to Dunland. I'm using a Lvl 60 2nd age Halberd (pretty sure that's a 2H). I think I went for Healing based legacies though am traited 5 Red 2 Blue (iirc on the blues). Maxing out Rall-Cry helps as does Kick. I still need to research and test the other Legacy options. Thankfully I'm stacking up worn symbols. One Q there on LI's I'm not seeing much benefit to upgrading my emblem. I've maxxed out a 3rd Age 55 or so with legacies I like. Is there any reason to keep trading those out until you get to end game and put much better runes/etc in there?

I toggle between war banner for solo signatures and switch to my shade archer for normal solo as I'm working on the S-Bro/Inspire and Archer deeds still.

I appreciate the confirmation that I may not be crazy since I too haven't stumbled on a traditional dps rotation. I can sleep now. Thx. I've got the Red capstone now and try to keep all my big hitters on cooldown. Likewise I've arranged my melee attacks from left to right (1-10) based on CDs for the most part try to ensure everything's always on cooldown for long fights. I'm finding that helps.

The only thing upgrading an emblem does for you is improve your overall healing with a better tactical healing rating. So really, what you have then isn't going to look that much different from what you have now. Same is true for the weapon, except the DPS difference will get to you.

My recommendation is to upgrade a weapon every 5 levels, and every 10 levels before upgrading the emblem.

I would also hang out in Moria long enough to get all three capstones before moving on. You will want to have all your traits before the next expansion, especially if we get majorly overhauled.
    Last edited by Almagnus1; Jul 16 2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West