We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Refuse to ride a Goat

Anyone else feel that riding a goat is beneath the dignity and honour of their Captain?

I'd like to keep my Captain unsullied by an animal that eats garbage. As I'm approaching Moria-level this could be a problem.

My plan, therefore, is to complete Eregion, and get to Lothlorien as soon as possible. Throwing in some skirmishes may also be a possibility.

Will this work, or will I have to swallow my honour and get on such a mangy beast?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000048ef64/01003/signature.png]Rithwis[/charsig]

No, I don't care.

You can skip most of Moria by doing everything before it, padding with skirmishes, and heading to Dimril Dale early.
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Nakiami View Post
    No, I don't care.

You can skip most of Moria by doing everything before it, padding with skirmishes, and heading to Dimril Dale early.
    But you will pay for it by not having your legendary capstones.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    But you will pay for it by not having your legendary capstones.
    and a load of virtues

well, I managed rather well in moria without a goat. main thing is pick up ur stable's a.s.a.p.. and learn the main through way, also the few cross way's.. finished whole of moria an half loth. before i was able to get the gaot.
    Even after i was able to get a goat. i hardly used it, between fighting, and gathering resource's. spent getting unmounter and remounting than it was worth.. lol
    Beside's ur fighting something most ever foot regardless in mob infested area's.

So i don't beleave not wanting to use a goat is that much an issue. stable or otherwise. though i would maybe compare it to traveling as race of man on foot every step of the way to ost guruth, or lvl 30

Quote Originally Posted by Tiboric View Post
    well, I managed rather well in moria without a goat. main thing is pick up ur stable's a.s.a.p.. and learn the main through way, also the few cross way's.. finished whole of moria an half loth. before i was able to get the gaot.
    Even after i was able to get a goat. i hardly used it, between fighting, and gathering resource's. spent getting unmounter and remounting than it was worth.. lol
    Beside's ur fighting something most ever foot regardless in mob infested area's.

So i don't beleave not wanting to use a goat is that much an issue. stable or otherwise. though i would maybe compare it to traveling as race of man on foot every step of the way to ost guruth, or lvl 30
    If OP wants not to ride goats, OP can't use stables either.

Lol.

What is so bad about the goats?

As long as they take him from place to place and don't throw me off mid way to my destination, I couldn't care less about what I am riding.
    I've been at the mercy of men just following orders. Never again.

"So i don't beleave not wanting to use a goat is that much an issue. stable or otherwise." seem's somone misssed this part of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
    Anyone else feel that riding a goat is beneath the dignity and honour of their Captain?

I'd like to keep my Captain unsullied by an animal that eats garbage. As I'm approaching Moria-level this could be a problem.

My plan, therefore, is to complete Eregion, and get to Lothlorien as soon as possible. Throwing in some skirmishes may also be a possibility.

Will this work, or will I have to swallow my honour and get on such a mangy beast?
    lol You can always just walk Feldermaus. Moria does have some nice scenery.

But anyways, your plan "will" work. YOu can pretty much skip moria entirely if you want to - and just go back later and concentrate on specific instances or deeds if you need them for vitures and traits.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Jul 15 2012 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post

I salute your dedication to style over substance.

Seeing as how my most recent character didn't set foot (other than the brief excursion to get his LI) into Moria until he was Level 56, I'd say what you're asking is very possible. At Level 56, Dimrill Dale quests are difficult, but doable.

After you finish Eregion, I suggest you complete all quests in the Volume I epic books. Those quests award massive XP and will help speed you on your way past the untidy caverns that comprise Moria.

I'd mention the lack of capstones that go along with skipping Moria, but I don't want to get your goat.
    Mandelbaum, 105 Champ; PeabodySherman, 100 LM, House of Mooters, Landroval
    Rembandor, 85 Champ, Penquanta Periannath, Laurelin

Quote Originally Posted by Catisa View Post
    If OP wants not to ride goats, OP can't use stables either.
    LMAO ---- the stables are indeed goats!

Aragorn did a lot of &&&& beneath his station. I think Aragorn would ride a goat, if he couldn't ride a horse.

But Boromir, you never know about that guy. I bet he wouldn't ride a goat.
    "One does not simply, Ride a goat."
    105 (Captain, Champion, Guardian)

Quote Originally Posted by DuneBug View Post
    Aragorn did a lot of &&&& beneath his station. I think Aragorn would ride a goat, if he couldn't ride a horse.

I agree ^^

Aragorn was not beneath riding a goat. He was the heir to the kingdom of men yet lived like an animal in the woods and suffered all kinds of indignities from common townsfolk. So he would deffinitely ride a goat lol

a week old thread that I think needed my legendary grumpiness

If one doesn't want to ride goat, you can always walk, walk thru moria if you want, the other will ease the pain by using the fastest transportation possible thru that pocket of boredom.
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

i think it is below us. from a "lore" standpoint, it is as ridiculous as riding a horse in moria. tie goes to the runner?
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Do it like real-world leaders do.

When nobody is watching.

You don't need a goat in Moria. A good many of us went through Moria multiple times without goats.
    MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority

Quote Originally Posted by Selebrimbor View Post
    Lol.

What is so bad about the goats?

As long as they take him from place to place and don't throw me off mid way to my destination, I couldn't care less about what I am riding.
    They're like dwarves, they're ugly and they smell funny.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneBug View Post

You did it wrong:
    "One does not simply ride goats into Mordor" (they tango on in half drunk).

Try this:

"You there ... you lowly dwarf. Run off to the Vile Maw and blow the summoning horn. Your liege and captain demands it! I will be here in the 21st hall crafting beautiful jewelry, as befits one of my station. Be quick away from me. You smell of goat! And don't dawdle, or I'll have your hide ..."

Interesting that for "The Savior of Lothlorian" deed, you receive...a goat.

I was never sure if it was meant to be an honor, or if those Golden Wood Gadflies were mocking me.

"Give her a goat for clearing out all those caverns, see if she will ride it if presented to her by elves!"

Ride the goats, save yourself the time and at least get some experience in Moria. Despite how one feels about questing there, Turbine did a pretty good job with the region.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Just think of all that cardio you will get in from walking everywhere!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/232210000000a821f/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

There is only one goat to ride...

[center][color=teal]Wingwoz (on hunters in LOTRO), "I prefer to think of them more like Elvis or James Dean. Terminally self indulgent but their presence in a party, nay, the very fact that they ever existed, makes the world a cooler place."[/color]
    [color=orange]'[i]Zairente hums, "Little rabbit Poo-kie / running through the Di-res / scooping up the Mon-archs / and BANGING 'em on the head."[/i]'
    [i][url=http://my.lotro.com/user-984907/]The Antics and Ramblings of Family Nenaelin[/url][/i][/color][/center]

When i was a boy we didnt have no fancy goats to ride. we had to earn the rep and the gold.

we ran around on that hard moria stone until our feet were bloody stumps. then they wore down to the bone until they were like cloven goat hooves and THEN we could really move around moria.

thats the way it was! and we liked it! we LOOOVED IT!
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    When i was a boy we didnt have no fancy goats to ride. we had to earn the rep and the gold.

we ran around on that hard moria stone until our feet were bloody stumps. then they wore down to the bone until they were like cloven goat hooves and THEN we could really move around moria.

thats the way it was! and we liked it! we LOOOVED IT!

The next step is Teleport spell.. err.. wait hunter has that, captain should get it as well..
    [COLOR=#008080]If it isn't about FlameThrower, Grenade and Rocket Launcher, you're playing the wrong classes, race and game..
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by MorningStarSE View Post
    The next step is Teleport spell.. err.. wait hunter has that, captain should get it as well..
    Pfftt... with all the rep (and store) ports, I don't need no stinking hunter.... I AM a hunter XD