We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Captain help plz...

Hello everyone, so i have a captain lvl 36 atm and im stuck on what virtues, class traits, and stats i should use or want. it was doing fine up until a little bit ago in evendim when i was fighting the tomb robbers and has a very hard time actually staying alive now. my main goal with it is to be able to solo and team play and eventually i wouldnt mind getting it started in on raids. so if anyone can give me hints or tips on what to use as far as traits, virtues, gear, stats or anything else u can think of that would help me out i would be very grateful. thxs to all in advance.

You most likely want your gear tarting up. Shop around for a kin with crafters that could help you out in that department? Failing that, available time permitting, begin a complementary alt. eg. if your captain is metalsmith, start a weaponsmith, or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy916 View Post
    Hello everyone, so i have a captain lvl 36 atm and im stuck on what virtues, class traits, and stats i should use or want. it was doing fine up until a little bit ago in evendim when i was fighting the tomb robbers and has a very hard time actually staying alive now. my main goal with it is to be able to solo and team play and eventually i wouldnt mind getting it started in on raids. so if anyone can give me hints or tips on what to use as far as traits, virtues, gear, stats or anything else u can think of that would help me out i would be very grateful. thxs to all in advance.
    Focus on might, vitality and crit chance.

More important while leveling: work on ALL your class deeds.

Cheers

PS: Cappys are awesome
    Ricardofurriel 105 Champion Edved 105 Captain Roovery 105 Minstrel Galathriell 105 Lore-Master EddieVedder 105 Rune-Keeper

Kristy, if you are having trouble handling large groups you may want to try using your herald as a form of crowd control. Try traiting Captain's Hope and Loyality. This turns your hope herald into a literal brick wall you can send send at extra mobs to keep them off of you while you concentrate your attack on other enemies.

That being said: The virtues I like to use are Valour, Zeal, Determination, Mercy, and Justice. That stats I like in order of importance are Might, Fate, Vitality, Agility, Will. But that's just my own personal preference. You should deffintely experiment to find the best combinations of virtues and stats for your own individual playstyle. This can vary greatly depending on what kind of Captain you are playing - because it's a very variety-rich class.
    Last edited by Jeremi; Jul 15 2012 at 02:52 PM.

Honestly, I would stick with the red traits until your level cap. That's going to help you level the fastest. Also stack might and crit (if you can) without making yourself uber squishy.

Trait Breakdown by line:
    LtC:
    Renewed Voice - I would run this in all lines, because it helps with both defeat response generation and DPS
    Turn of the Tide - It's good deep red, if LoM didn't have the power problems it does, I'd pair it with Renewed Voice as the splash traits
    Captains Valour - Junk, don't use it
    Loyalty - Good Leveling trait, sadly, the heralds aren't strong enough to justify this trait's usage at level cap
    Expert Attacks - Good for DPS and defeat response generation
    Battle-Master - Good DPS trait
    Precise Ally - If the heralds did more damage, this would actually be useful
    Adherent of Elendil - Good DPS trait

HoH:
    Fear No Darkness - Solid Improvement to Words of Courage (our spot heal)
    Relentless Optimism - Horrible when leveling because you won't have the tactical crit chance to bring out the most with this trait, better at level cap with ~20% Tactical Crit Chance
    Strong Voice - don't use it
    Captain's Hope - Oddly, a decent option for a tanking captain if they aren't having power issues
    Now for Wrath - Fixes most of the current captain power issues
    Blood of Numenor - Makes the incombat rezzes awesome, however, it's generally only useful when learning a new raid
    Strength from Within - Gives you a self heal
    Deeds Before Words - Improves Inspire, the Brother heal

LoM:
    Alert Guard - Solid Tanking trait, gives Defensive Strike a +parry self buff
    Improved Routing Cry - Must have tanking trait - Turns Routing Cry into a forced taunt
    Intimidation - Must have taking trait - Improves threat generation
    Echoing Shout - Must have taking trait, makes Threatening shout multi target
    Defiance - Extends Last Stand, another crutch trait
    Captain's Victory - Useful because of the LoM power problems
    Tactical Prowess - Extends To Arms 5 seconds. Many like this trait, I'm meh about it.
    Composure - a love/hate trait. All depends on how much you use Time of Need. I almost never use this trait.

Legendaries:
    Fellowship Brother: This is expected of you when grouping, it turns your Brother skills into group wide buffs
    Oathbreaker's Shame: Really good in a DPS race, can be situational otherwise. I only use this skill in ToO and the 'Moors
    Shield of the Dunedain: The Luigi of the legendaries - gets overshadowed by everything else, even though it's arguably the best bubble in the game. I use this extensively in the 'Moors, not so much in PvE.
    In Defense of Middle Earth: +Level to all stat - tend to run it in PvE paired with FB at the expense of OS, but do almost the opposite in the 'Moors.
    Capstone legendaries: Slot if you want a DPS (Master of War) healing (Hands of Healing) or tanking (Leader of Men) boost.

Cookie Cutter Builds:
    LtC:
    Renewed Voice
    Turn of the Tide
    Expert Attacks
    Battle-Master
    Adherent of Elendil
    Now for Wrath
    Relentless Optimism
    Fellowship Brother
    IDoME/Oathbreaker's Shame
    Master of War

HoH:
    Fear no Darkness
    Relentless Optimism
    Now for Wrath
    Strength from Within
    Deeds Before Words
    Either Renewed Voice + Expert Attacks OR Tactical Prowess + Defiance (I much prefer the former over the latter, while others like the latter over the former)
    Hands of Healing Capstone
    Fellowship Brother
    IDoME/Shield of the Dunedain

LoM:
    Alert Guard
    Improved Routing Cry
    Intimidation
    Echoing Shout
    Defiance/Tactical Prowess/Captain's Victory
    Now for Wrath
    Strength from Within
    Leader of Men
    Fellowship Brother
    IDoME

Non-capstone raid build:
    Renewed Voice
    Expert Attacks
    Battle-Master
    Adherent of Elendil
    Fear no Darkness/Tactical Prowess
    Relentless Optimism
    Now for Wrath
    IDoME
    FB
    Oathbreaker's Shame

Level Cap gearing:
    Non-Lom: aim for 2k might + 20% Tactical Crit chance - should put outgoing healing to around 45% while keeping melee offence high.
    LoM: Embrace the tankyness and stack vit, incoming healing, and crit defence.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Grats on level 36!
    Main thing I can suggest for you is to make sure you have your gear, weapon, and jewellery updated as much as possible. I tend to go for the stats with mostly might and vitality, with some Fate for good measure.
    When going through zones make sure you're taking your time to complete your deeds, I made the vital mistake of not doing this, and it's a huge pain going back trying to complete all of these. As far as equipped virtues, everyone has their own opinion of which to equip, I personally like the ones that give me an extra boost on armour value & phys/tact mitigations.
    Also mentioned above, make sure you're working on your class deeds! Many times I've found if I haven't been able to solo (or group) complete a challenge or quest, a simple change of a class deed can get the job done. Over time you'll be able to automatically know what to equip without much thought!
    Most important suggestion I can give ya: Have fun playing with your captain! There are many aspects to this class, and the learning process is just as pleasurable if you allow it to be!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c21400000005e127/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

-Have fun playing

not sure i figured this out til level like.. 45...

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Deed:Renewed_Voice

reduces the cooldown of battle shout (that screamy attack that un-gates devastating blow) by 5s or so.
    This will increase your damage and crit responses more than anything else, it's also a lot easier to get than Expert Attacks... Which is the next best trait, probably. My next favorite was Turn of The tide since it would stun stuff.

All the heralds have a heal for you, so it's kinda worth carting them around in case you get in to trouble. You can also have them off-tank a mob... Just send them at it first (Target the mob and use the herald skill ... I forget what it's called but any will do). Don't heal your herald until he's about to die, or you'll pull agro because heralds do almost no damage.
    85 (Captain, Champion, Guardian)

It was doing fine up until a little bit ago in evendim when i was fighting the tomb robbers and has a very hard time actually staying alive now.
    Have you completed 'Enmity of the Hillmen' yet and earned the 'Balance of Man' trait?

Had the same trouble with the tombrobbers, but once I had the trait equiped: no problem.